Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter

Old April 10th 04, 03:19 PM
Sherry

There are more of them out there, and closer to us, than you would
think. I used to live in a town of appx. 23,000 people, one block off
the main street through town. When I got home late, I routinely
scared a bobcat out of the dumpster of our apartment complex; he'd
leap out and run when my headlights would shine on the dumpster as I
turned in.

I live in a very small town (pop appx. 3,000) in a fairly large county
that's mostly rural, and it's not uncommon to see a bobcat running
across the road. The local police have said that you could be
*amazed* at the wildlife roaming the street in the middle of the
night. Bobcats, coyotes, the occasional bear, etc.

Krista, if that happened here, every Bubba with a 12-gauge would march on the
Capitol hollering "Overpopulation!" and have an open season on them declared.
My dad is a rancher, and he is amazingly tolerant of coyotes/bobcats. If a
newborn calf gets killed, he just shrugs and says, "You have to expect to lose
a few." He never lets the coyote-hunters on his land.
Back to the Bubba-hunters, there's a restaurant here that has 2 stuffed bobcats
on the counter as "trophies." I ate there once and marched my butt to the
manager and told him I thought dead cats as decor was disgusting. DH was quite
embarrassed.
It's such a no-win. Bobcats are such magnificent creatures and you have to
respectt them just for survivinng on their own. But they can be so dangerous,
too, when they start coming into populated areas and getting so bold.

Sherry

Old April 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Hopitus2

Yeah, Sherry, I don't like stuffed dead things either.....several gunsmith
shops in this area have taxi'd wild boars (they live in the 'Glades) right
by the front door and even though I don't especially like wild boars (who
would, except another wild boar?) it turns my stomach to go past them into
the stores. God knows what's in stores out in western USA. There are bears
as well as bobcats here but they stay deep in the Everglades. Not to mention
the FL Panther, a protected species (who is on my license plate, BTW).

:

Old April 10th 04, 06:12 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

LOL wrote:

I live in a very small town (pop appx. 3,000) in a fairly large county
that's mostly rural, and it's not uncommon to see a bobcat running
across the road. The local police have said that you could be
*amazed* at the wildlife roaming the street in the middle of the
night. Bobcats, coyotes, the occasional bear, etc. You can find
alligators basking on warm paved roads near ponds on any summer night.
We also have panthers, but they are rare, and are mostly, but not
always, found waaay out in the woods. One memorably stalked our
in-the-city-limits neighborhood for several days before heading back
to friendlier territory, and a few d*gs disappeared during that time.

As man encroaches more and more upon their territory, the wild critters
become bolder (if survival means a change of diet from their natural
prey, they'll adapt). There was a PBS special, not too long ago, about
the "wild life" in New York City, of all places! And raccoons and
oppossums are quite common in many areas of Los Angeles (as well as
coyotes, who venture a good deal further into urban areas, to hunt, than
most people realize).

Old April 10th 04, 07:20 PM
CaptCook

I have been told several times that feral cats are such a problem in
the Dakotas that they are supposed to be destroyed if some specified
distance from a building. They have caused great destruction in
Hawaii according to conservationists. There is no danger of cats
becoming endangered. And no excuse for allowing them outside. That
being said, my pet of preference is a cat.

Old April 10th 04, 07:47 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:12:07 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
yodeled:

LOL wrote:

[...]

There is plentiful wildlife here in NYC, for a couple of reasons. One
is our long, convoluted shoreline, and another is the huge parks that
we are fortunate anough to have.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old April 10th 04, 07:47 PM
Kreisleriana

LOL wrote:

[...]

"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 10:07 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 06:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM