Cat Using toilet and toilet paper

Old September 12th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cat Using toilet and toilet paper

"Yowie" wrote in message
"MLB" wrote in message

Yowie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

OMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbHS4YJOMc&NR=1

Amazing!

BTW - there was a aweful lot of water in that pan. Is that normal?

Yowie

When ou said "pan" did you mean the toilet? If so, the answer is
yes. MLB

Pan= where the business goes.
Bowl= the ceramic part
Cistern= the water storage & delivery system
Toilet= the whole structure

There's only a small amount of water, right down the bottom of our
toilets. Maybe less risk of splashback?

That's what UK toilets are like. You should see the German ones. They have
a bend that catches what you do before you can flush it away, presumably so
you can examine it for illness or something.
I was very startled by this when I was in Germany. I'm used to the same as
Yowie.

Tweed

Old September 12th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Default Human Litterboxes (was Cat Using toilet and toilet paper)

MatSav kirjoitti:
Cheryl wrote:
Some European homes I've been in had the toilet and bathtub in
different rooms, which was rather odd to my eyes!

My home is like that, but the rooms are immediately adjacent to
each other. How else would you wash your hands after using the
"smallest room"? (It does mean, of course, that door handles need
more cleaning than they would if the toilet and tub / shower were
in the same room).

Our apartment has a separate loo (toilet seat and wash basin) and
bathroom (shower and another wash basin), so the hands can be washed in
the loo. But the rooms are wall to wall, no door inbetween them. Their
individual doors lead out into the apartment.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old September 12th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

The USofA seem to use bowls with a higher water level in the pan than
those in the UK. In much of Europe, there's a 'shelf' on the front inside
edge of the bowl where business is deposited (for inspection?) before
flushing, and not straight into the standing water of the S-(or U-)bend
vapour trap.

Hmm. I don't remember seeing this shelf in Germany or any other European
country that I've visited. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. :P

I can assure that it's true. I thought it might be because N lived right
out in the wilds and they might have peculiar toilet habits ;-) But no. we
went to Hamburg and the toilets were the same. A shelf to collect what you
did so you can look at it before you flush it away.
Now for a Brit, this is odd.
We do ours straight into the water in the toilet and then flush it away.

Tweed

What has struck me about plumbing in other parst of Europe is that the
water pressure seems to be so much lower than here in Finland. Here, you
just have to stand under the shower half a minute to be soaked, but you
don't have to go further than Denmark, and the water pressure is so low
you stand there and the water dribbles and dribbles and you never get
completely wet. Afraid I've had the same experience in England.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old September 12th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Pan= where the business goes.
Bowl= the ceramic part
Cistern= the water storage & delivery system
Toilet= the whole structure

There's only a small amount of water, right down the bottom of our
toilets. Maybe less risk of splashback?

Yowie

What you call the pan and the bowl we just call the bowl in the US.
Cistern = tank. Toilet=toilet or w/c for water closet if you are
into construction

Most (not all) toilet bowls in the US held quite a bit of water over
the last fifty or so years. I remember the older ones in old houses
like my grandparents did not. They didn't have a great reliable
water supply or septic system. Splashback is not a problem. Takes
lots of water to flush, but does a clean and reliable job.

Now we are trying to cut back on excessive water use, and new
toilets have to meet guidelines. Took a while since there just
aren't all that many bowl manufacturers. And the low water toilets
just didn't work as well. But design has improved, I'd say the
toilets in my daughters house use half as much water as ours and
work well.

Jo

Old September 12th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in
message ...
Some European homes I've been in had the toilet and bathtub in
different
rooms, which was rather odd to my eyes!

Not just Europe - that was the usual arrangement in New Zealand
when
I was there. I'm not sure where the idea came from, but it fitted
in
with Maori tradition, which regarded the idea of washing and
excreting
in the same place as utterly disgusting.

It makes a huge amount of sense to me. If you have a large family
and only one toilet, taking a nice long bath becomes a problem.

I figure the only reason the toilet and tub ended up in the same
room once people started getting indoor plumbing was to save on the
cost of plumbing.

Jo

Old September 12th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

[...]

If you normally live with low water pressure, one of the great joys
of traveling isn't the possibility of new sights and nice
accommodations, but of finding a really great shower with a good
shower head and lots of water pressure. (Well that and being able
to toss the wet towels on the floor and having them replaced with
clean dry ones while you are at lunch)

I think if Charlie had to choose, he'd take a great shower over a
great restaurant.

Jo

Old September 12th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christine BA" wrote in message
Marina kirjoitti:
MatSav wrote:

[...]

Just checked from the German Wiki on toilets, the shelf version
(Flachspüler) was more common before the 90's. And as I graduated in -82,
and bro studied in Augsburg in the 80's too, we still remember the shelf
version vividly.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilette

--

That's all in German. My German is not good. The words I've learned are
mainly relating to animals and nature which N & I like to discuss.

Tweed

Old September 12th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

Marina kirjoitti:
MatSav wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is in German. I did say I checked from the *German* wiki, and
the URL does show the "de.wikipedia..."
Basically, the part about the toilet with the shelf just describes the
toilet and how it works, as well as says that this toilet version offers
the possibility to take a stool sample, if needed. The biggest drawback
was the strong development of odour, which is why public and private
toilets have been switched to the "normal model" (Tiefspüler - "deep
flushers").

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old September 12th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Pan= where the business goes.
Bowl= the ceramic part

Hmm... in the only toilets I've seen, the bowl is where the business
goes. I don't think we have anything like a "pan".

Joyce

--
Promise me you'll never wear pants that bind or tug or hurt, pants
that have an opinion about how much you've just eaten.
Old September 12th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

Marina kirjoitti:
MatSav wrote:

[...]

I don't think I'd mention that to someone who still might have the
option of searching me.

Jo

Poll OT Toilet paper tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 30 November 9th 08 10:53 AM
Toilet Paper Eater Jan Harris Cats - misc 4 April 9th 05 06:06 PM
a strip of toilet paper and yepp Cat anecdotes 13 March 17th 05 04:25 PM
Toilet Paper John Biltz Cat anecdotes 11 August 17th 03 08:41 PM
toilet paper 2 Byron & Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 5 August 17th 03 04:09 AM