Liz's Food recommendations

Old October 13th 03, 09:42 PM
Alison Perera

In article ,
"Karen M." wrote:

There is no difference between all life stage and kitten. The AAFCO
requires that in order to use the ALS label, the manufacturer must pass
muster for the most stringent of the various life-stage standards: the
kitten ones. AFAICT the decision whether to put one label or the other
boils down to marketing.

For the testing trials, no. What I'm saying though is that companies
like SD make a kitten food with *deliberately* higher amounts of protein
, and lower that protein levels for adults, whereas companies like W & F
do not. Therefore, IMO, it's a bit disingenuous to compare these two
different foods. Just my $.02!

Well, sure, I buy your argument that--assuming you trust that the
manufacturer has your pets' best interest in mind--your average "kitten"
food is formulated for kittens, and your average "all life stage" food
is either for all life stages (because kittens and adults eat the same
ration in their natural state) or is intended for adult consumption but
has the ALS label for marketing purposes.

But when it comes to people deinigrating the suitability of an ALS food
for members of a certain life stage, I have to draw back to the
*requirements* for labeling a food for ALS. And if dropping the ALS
label means making a food that causes anemia in baby kittens, thanks but
I'll stake my chances on overnutrition!

-Alison in OH

Old October 13th 03, 11:35 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Karen M."

Lauren, don't bother. Just drink your coffee and feed your cats their
*very* "unhealthy" food and be done with it...

I know, LOL, it's totally insane trying to figure out anything Gaubster says.
It was making me dizzy!

PawsForThought wrote:

From:
(GAUBSTER2)

Foods that contain nutrient profiles established for growth can also
be labeled "all life stages". Foods that have nutrient profiles

established
for growth aren't neccessarily appropriate for adult and senior cats.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you're saying in the first sentence

"nutrient
profiles established for growth can also
be labeled "all life stages" Then, in the second sentence, you're saying

that
foods established for growth (according to you that means it can be labeled
"all life stages") aren't approrpriate for adult and senior cats. Wouldn't

all
life stages be for "all life stages", i.e. *all* cats?

It's too early for this. I need some coffee.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

________
Old October 13th 03, 11:35 PM
PawsForThought

Old October 14th 03, 12:32 AM
Karen M.

Alison Perera wrote:

In article ,
"Karen M." wrote:

[...]

By the way, my previous last sentence was not referring to you, just in
case you took it that way. I was referring to Steve and G2 wanting to
compare protein and carb levels between SD kitten foods and ALS foods.
But as for *your* last statement, I completely agree.

-Alison in OH

Old October 14th 03, 12:37 AM
GAUBSTER2

Maybe I'm missing something, but you're saying in the first sentence
"nutrient
profiles established for growth can also
be labeled "all life stages" Then, in the second sentence, you're saying
that
foods established for growth (according to you that means it can be labeled
"all life stages") aren't approrpriate for adult and senior cats. Wouldn't
all
life stages be for "all life stages", i.e. *all* cats?

No, for once you got it right, Lauren! All life stage foods have nutrient
levels that are established for kittens only. Adult and especially senior cats
do NOT have the same nutrient requirements as kittens. Therefore you run the
risk of feeding adult and senior cats levels of nutrients that are TOO high
when feeding an "all life stage" food. All life stages is a terminology that
implies it's appropriate for all cats, but really means that it can sustain
all life stages because it met the most demanding nutrient phase of a cat's
life--the growth/kitten phase. Now we're getting somewhere w/ you!