Scale to Weigh my Cats - recommendation?

Old July 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
Teffy

Default Scale to Weigh my Cats - recommendation?

I want to weigh my cats periodically. I have been shopping online for
baby scales and pet scales. I have found mechanical scales for $50 to
$60, and digital / electronic scales for $120 to $150 and up. My main
concern is getting an accurate weight while my cat is moving around on
the scale. Which type is best?

With the mechanical type, I could see the dial moving around and
hopefully choose a good average. With the digital / electronic type,
I worry about the numbers changing so fast that I can't make sense of
them. Or, if the scale has a "hold" or "lock" function, can I trust
it without spending hundreds of dollars?

Please give me the the benefit of your experience.
Thanks,
Teffy
Old July 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Mary

Please give me the the benefit of your experience.

Get on a regular human scale, weigh yourself. Pick up a cat, get on the scale
again, subtract your weight from the combined weight of you and your cat. Of
course if you're talking kittens, you could use a postal scale to be more
accurate.

Old July 22nd 04, 06:53 PM
Jim Vecchiola

Hi Teffy,

My solution - I use a digital scale for MYSELF - weigh before without
cat, the weigh the combination. My two cats don't mind being picked up
and held while weighing. Only problem, the digital people scale only
reads to the nearest 1/2 lb. Is that close enough for your use?

Jim

Old August 8th 04, 12:44 PM
JPHobbs

Isn't it best to jump on the normal scale without the cat,and then jump on
again holding the cat, I thought everyone did it this way Jean.p.
om...

Old August 24th 04, 08:57 AM
Graham Rule

Hi, we had the same problem last year as we had to weigh our cat.
I put the scales on the floor and decided how best to achieve the required
results.
I turned round to find Smudge sitting happily on top of the scales looking
at me as if to say" Is this where you want me?" If I was you I would try the
old fashioned way and just plonk the cats on the scales and hope for the
best! They might surprise you and sit still for a while!!

"JPHobbs" wrote in message ...
Isn't it best to jump on the normal scale without the cat,and then jump on
again holding the cat, I thought everyone did it this way Jean.p.
om...

Old August 24th 04, 01:35 PM
Alex Hunsley

Graham Rule wrote:
Hi, we had the same problem last year as we had to weigh our cat.
I put the scales on the floor and decided how best to achieve the required
results.
I turned round to find Smudge sitting happily on top of the scales looking
at me as if to say" Is this where you want me?" If I was you I would try the
old fashioned way and just plonk the cats on the scales and hope for the
best! They might surprise you and sit still for a while!!

Hi there Graham! How goes it? I'm reading this group because tonight I am
taking 2 seven weeks old kittens home! very lovely.

alex