cat-proof latch

Old May 27th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

Default cat-proof latch

We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house. The house is divided like this for two
reasons: I have a friend who's very allergic to cat and rabbit dander,
and the non-c side of the house isn't remotely catproofed. During the
day they normally stay with the humans in the catty side, but during the
night there's nothing we can do.

Usually, cat #1 forces a door open then both cats take advantage of the
added room. Both the doors have built-in latches, but those are easily
overridden. Now, one of the doors (the one they use most often) has
Velcro (or a generic) on the door's leading edge, as well as a kickplate
mounted vertically (to eliminate claw damage). And in front of where
the doors close there's a 1-gal jug for one and a 4 lb bag of kitty litter
for the other. Those usually slow her down long enough to bring a squirt
bottle to within firing range.

For a few days we had two "Ssscat"s
http://www.multivet.net/en/products/ssscat/
until (I gather) it got knocked over and quickly dumped its propellant
on the floor. While they lasted, they worked well. I figure that
after a while they may not have to be turned on; I don't know how long
"a while" is however. I've ordered some refills. I would prefer
something that didn't go off on humans, but it's better than nothing.
I'll tape down the refills to make sure they can't get knocked over.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world
Old May 27th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Hactar" wrote in message
[...]

Get your friend on a decent allergy medication, and get your cats things
they prefer to scratch on, like Alpine scratchers and tall post, and keep
their claws trimmed. Once a month does it for us. You can keep living in
this ridiculous way, but you know you don't want to. Although, if you do, it
will keep your cats occupied and laughing. Too funny.

Old May 27th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (5/27/2009 1:04 PM):
[...]

If they're sliding doors and have a top rail, then just get pieces of
wood that you can jam in the top rail, the cats can't reach 'em, problem
solved!

Alternately, maybe you can buy child-proof latches like for cabinets,
and modify them for use.

What you just need to think of is a kind of latch you can set up high
enough, and is complicated enough, and small enough, that a cat cannot
jump and undo it, or jump, hold on, and undo it.

I can understand your friend needing a cat-free zone, but you might just
want to give it up. If they're getting in there every night and have
for a while, it's no longer a cat-dander-free zone anyway, even if you
clean it really well, unless you replace the carpeting and the furniture.

jmc
Old May 28th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article ,
jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (5/27/2009 1:04 PM):
We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.

If they're sliding doors and have a top rail, then just get pieces of
wood that you can jam in the top rail, the cats can't reach 'em, problem
solved!

Well, neither can some of the humans. It can be mounted lower though.
However, if I understand what you're recommending, that can't be operated
from both sides. And, they're not glass doors, they're wooden. Except
for the slide-or-swing/latch hardware the doors look like any other hollow
wooden interior door.

Alternately, maybe you can buy child-proof latches like for cabinets,
and modify them for use.

What you just need to think of is a kind of latch you can set up high
enough, and is complicated enough, and small enough, that a cat cannot
jump and undo it, or jump, hold on, and undo it.

Maybe a door chain? Some kind of peg into the door along the back edge?

I can understand your friend needing a cat-free zone, but you might just
want to give it up. If they're getting in there every night and have
for a while, it's no longer a cat-dander-free zone anyway, even if you
clean it really well, unless you replace the carpeting and the furniture.

We had the floor redone from carpeting to wood, so that should reduce
the airborne contaminants considerably.

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: Why do black holes never learn?
A: Because they're too dense. -- ZurkisPhreek on Fark
Old May 28th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Magic Mood Jeep

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Pocket doors are not your typical sliding door found on most American
patios.

The "tracks" are hidden, inside the wall, and the door slides into the
wall when opened (some are even made to 'disappear when opened, so that
all an unsuspecting guest sees is a doorway, or opening in a wall) -
something 'on the track' that would stop the door from opening is not
feasible.
http://www.pocketdoors.net/index.php...f-pocket-doors

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old May 28th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Magic Mood Jeep exclaimed (5/27/2009 8:34 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, yea, I remember now. I think we had those doors in the house I grew
up with, before they were removed and used to shore up the garage floor
(which was a crime, they were beautiful cherry wood doors!)

jmc
Old May 28th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (5/27/2009 7:24 PM):
In article ,
jmc wrote:

What you just need to think of is a kind of latch you can set up high
enough, and is complicated enough, and small enough, that a cat cannot
jump and undo it, or jump, hold on, and undo it.

Maybe a door chain? Some kind of peg into the door along the back edge?

I think a door chain would work well, but put the sliding bit
up-and-down at a slight angle instead of horizontal, or it'd be
difficult to set it up to both latch properly, and keep the doors closed
enough to keep the cats out. You could set it for just wide enough to
slide a hand thru, so you could unlatch it from either side (you wanted
to be able to do that, right?

Oh, and did you know that there is such a thing as a "pocket door
latch"? - google it. Not sure if that's what you need, but here's one:

http://tinyurl.com/onhsea

jmc
Old May 28th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

jmc wrote:

What you just need to think of is a kind of latch you can set up high
enough, and is complicated enough, and small enough, that a cat cannot
jump and undo it, or jump, hold on, and undo it.

Maybe a door chain? Some kind of peg into the door along the back edge?

I think a door chain would work well, but put the sliding bit
up-and-down at a slight angle instead of horizontal, or it'd be
difficult to set it up to both latch properly, and keep the doors closed
enough to keep the cats out. You could set it for just wide enough to
slide a hand thru, so you could unlatch it from either side (you wanted
to be able to do that, right?

Oh, and did you know that there is such a thing as a "pocket door
latch"? - google it. Not sure if that's what you need, but here's one:

http://tinyurl.com/onhsea

That looks like what we have that doesn't hold. I'll look for sturdier
varieties.

--
-eben P http://royalty.mine.nu:81

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert
Old May 29th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

Hactar wrote:
[...]

How about a hook and eye near the top of the door? Not beautiful but it
would work.
Old May 29th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.

How about a hook and eye near the top of the door? Not beautiful but it
would work.

Hook and eye is inoperable by cats, especially these cats. It can't be
higher than a seated person can reach, but about as high as a doorknob
should be OK. It'd have to have enough slack in the mechanism to allow
a hand through so you could work it from both sides; I dunno if you can
do that unless your hook is long enough to allow enough of a cat through
to put significant force on the mounting.

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone