My goofy boycat, Robin

Old March 28th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Default My goofy boycat, Robin

Robin is my somewhat roundish silly black boycat who came into our lives
during the summer of 2003, along with Tucker, his cat buddy. Robin had to
learn how to play just like Tucker did because I guess when you're
struggling to make it as a stray there is no time to for fun because you're
too busy just trying to survive.

Robin, having discovered the joys of "PLAYTIME," goes after it with great
gusto. He jumps up on the cat tree and immediately turns upsidedown with
all four paws in the air, wrestles the dangling toy hanging on it, hauls
himself all over it, and we're all watching him wondering if he can continue
to defy the laws of gravity!

He and I recently discovered a brand new game. I had crocheted a series of
cat toys that I was trying out to see if I could make some for the kitties
in our rescue group. They're like balls on a string so you can dangle them
overhead.
Robin, decided he's a mighty hunter and when I dangle the toy, he MUST have
it so he can drag his prey into his lair (which happens to be under the art
table in our living room). He picks up the ball in his mouth trailing the
string and makes a beeline for his lair. He then starts stomping his feet
up and down treading on the string part, all the while, purring up a storm,
and "quacking" his special triumphant call of the conqueror with the
captured prey in his mouth. Robin's voice is like no other - he could be a
dead ringer for a duck or a sheep, especially with this particular call. I
then sort of sneakily try to get the toy back and the whole game begins
again. So, I have about 4 or 5 of these toys of various sizes and shapes
and we have spent a lot of time in the evenings recently, replaying this
scenario out, over and over. He never tires of it and will come running to
play this game if he even sees me go near one of these toys. He'll even get
Tucker going into nursing on his "blankie" beside the art table and meowing
with his blanket in his mouth! Tucker also has a particular meow with this
behavior and so, I can have a regular back-and-forth cat symphony going on.
Robin will sometimes even paw at Tucker with the toy in his mouth and cause
Tucker to sqawk in surprise with his mouth full, too. Celeste and I laugh
ourselves silly over this.
Christine

Old March 28th 10, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christine Burel wrote:
snip
Tucker also has a particular meow with this behavior and so, I
can have a regular back-and-forth cat symphony going on. Robin will
sometimes even paw at Tucker with the toy in his mouth and cause Tucker
to sqawk in surprise with his mouth full, too. Celeste and I laugh
ourselves silly over this.

They sound so sweet and funny. I'm so glad they found a home with you.
It breaks my heart to think of Tucker eating that birdseed in your garden.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 28th 10, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
[...]

You've brought out the kitten in your cats! I think it's very special that
they trust you enough to be silly and funny and laughed at. It's great you
could give them this.
Karla

Old March 28th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

[...]

It's great that he's learned to play after his bad start, I wish Boyfie
would. I got him in 2003 in similar circumstances to your boys, but try as
I might to tempt him with feathers-on-a-stick, dragged along string, pretend
mousies etc, he looks as me as if I am mad and stalks off.
He will occasionally agree to get a bit stoned on der nip but that's as far
as it goes.
I am not sure if it's due to his previous experiences or just because he's a
very dignified cat.
Tweed

Old March 28th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

It's great that he's learned to play after his bad start, I wish Boyfie
would. I got him in 2003 in similar circumstances to your boys, but try as
I might to tempt him with feathers-on-a-stick, dragged along string, pretend
mousies etc, he looks as me as if I am mad and stalks off.
He will occasionally agree to get a bit stoned on der nip but that's as far
as it goes.
I am not sure if it's due to his previous experiences or just because he's a
very dignified cat.

I think it might be because he doesn't *need* to play - he has the
real thing! Play is all about predatory behavior, and he can do that
any time he wants.

Joyce

--
Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
Old March 28th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

[...]

I love it.

My mom used to crochet balls for our cats, and stuff them with old
nylon stockings.

Jo

Old March 28th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

It's great that he's learned to play after his bad start, I wish
Boyfie would. I got him in 2003 in similar circumstances to your
boys, but try as I might to tempt him with feathers-on-a-stick,
dragged along string, pretend mousies etc, he looks as me as if I
am mad and stalks off.
He will occasionally agree to get a bit stoned on der nip but
that's as far as it goes.
I am not sure if it's due to his previous experiences or just
because he's a very dignified cat.
Tweed

Its even better when its a very dignified cats that loses it over a
toy. Our fail proof is a piece of thread with a twist of foil or
paper on the end. Pulled only enough to make it twitch.

Jo

Old March 29th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

It's great that he's learned to play after his bad start, I wish Boyfie
would. I got him in 2003 in similar circumstances to your boys, but try
as
I might to tempt him with feathers-on-a-stick, dragged along string,
pretend
mousies etc, he looks as me as if I am mad and stalks off.
He will occasionally agree to get a bit stoned on der nip but that's as
far
as it goes.
I am not sure if it's due to his previous experiences or just because
he's a
very dignified cat.

I think it might be because he doesn't *need* to play - he has the
real thing! Play is all about predatory behavior, and he can do that
any time he wants.
--

Do you think that is why he doesn't play?
It would be such a relief not to wonder why he doesn't respond. He will not

I think Boyfriend is too serious for his own good.
I want him to enjoy his life - after all he what more could he want? He has
acres to roam in, he can catch mousies and very small ratties and he has his
own bedroom with a duvet which he retires to when it all gets too much...
Like when he accidentally got shut out overnight. In for his brekkie and
then in his bedroom all day, as he claims he could not sleep a wink in the
conservatory.

Tweed

Old March 29th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

it took tiger over five years to play with a toy, and he had others to watch
to see how it was done, from his reactions i think he was punished for
normal cat behavior and was afraid to do anything to draw attention to
himself, once he figured out it was ok he still only occasionally plays, Lee

Goofy Cat jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 September 17th 09 08:11 PM
Goofy Shamrock Cheryl Cat anecdotes 15 August 16th 09 06:10 PM
Vid: Caliban being goofy Marina Cat anecdotes 2 January 7th 09 04:44 AM
another goofy video Outsider Cat anecdotes 12 November 27th 07 04:07 AM
goofy critters David Yehudah Cat anecdotes 36 April 9th 04 07:06 PM