cat trivia

Old June 8th 04, 02:01 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Laura R.
artfully composed
this message within
t on 07 Jun 2004:

a.. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets
each year.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Yeah, and how much of that is wasted on toys that get ignored after a
day or two?

--
Cheryl
Old June 8th 04, 02:19 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Frank" wrote in message
These are interesting but are all these true?

a.. 95% of cat owners admit they talk to their cats.
a.. A cat can be rightpawed or leftpawed

Otto is definitely rightpawed. Whenever I offer him a bit of food, he
always takes it with his right paw. He's pretty polite, he rarely just
snatched it from me with his mouth. He likes to take it in his paw (he
kinda curves it under), then he either eats it from his paw or drops it to
eat off the ground.

a.. Cats love to hear the sound of their own name and your voice, so talk

them often.

Otto definitely responds to his name. He will also respond to his nickname
(monkey). Tiger responds to just about anything. If she hears my voice,
she comes running. To her ears, every word I'm saying is "Tiger".

a.. If your cat is in the habit of rolling over and exposing his stomach,
you can be sure he feels perfectly safe with you. It's also a way of
demonstrating his pleasure in your company.

Whenever I get to work, Harriet runs up to me, throws herself down at my
feet and rolls over. If I bend down to pet her, she'll bite me 95% of the
time. If I just talk to her and walk away, she'll get up, race ahead of me,
throw herself down in my path and roll over again. I usually end up petting
her and getting bit. She usually doesn't break skin but she has plenty of
times.

Liz

Old June 8th 04, 04:11 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Laura R.
artfully composed
this message within
t on 07 Jun 2004:

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:58:08 -0500, in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav, Cheryl )
said,
a.. Cats can donate blood to other cats.

True and false. They can - but they have types, just like
people.
http://www.catclinic.co.uk/health/bloodtransfusion.htm Giving
the wrong type can be fatal.

Another fact: There is no blood bank for cat blood as there is
for human, and even dog blood. Donors are usually on-site.

Yeah, don't some clinics or shelters keep "donor cats" around? I
could swear I read that somewhere...

Laura

The clinic where Shadow had his transfusion done did. He was FeLV+
too.

--
Cheryl

Old June 8th 04, 07:19 AM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote Okay, it
was funnier as a cartoon. :-)

I love that one. I thought there was one for cats, too.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old June 8th 04, 11:45 PM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Laura R.
artfully composed
this message within
t on 08 Jun 2004:

circa Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:11:43 -0500, in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav, Cheryl )
said,
Another fact: There is no blood bank for cat blood as there
is for human, and even dog blood. Donors are usually
on-site.

Yeah, don't some clinics or shelters keep "donor cats"
around? I could swear I read that somewhere...

Laura

The clinic where Shadow had his transfusion done did. He was
FeLV+ too.

Isn't that how Shadow got FeLV?

Laura

Yes.

--
Cheryl

Old June 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote Isn't that how Shadow got
FeLV?

Laura

Yes.

I am wondering about that feeding tube that Shadow had in so long. How did
that work?