PLEASE END THE "POLL" THREAD

Old February 12th 05, 11:45 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Monique Y. Mudama at
wrote on 2/12/05 5:28 PM:

On 2005-02-12, Karen Chuplis penned:
in article
, equalizer at
equalizer wrote on 2/12/05 2:58 PM:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:56:59 -0500,
(---MIKE---)
wrote:

Mary, Your comments have infuriated me. I am through contributing to this
group until the POLL thread is gone.

---MIKE---

Waaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaa!

Door, ass, hit, out!!!!!!

eq

I can't believe how intolerant you guys are sometimes.

I don't know about the wording eq used, but the reality is, Mike is
complaining about something that is only a problem because he's using a
massively inferior (apparently; I've never used it myself, so I can only go by
what he's saying) client. Joining a newsgroup and saying, "My client sucks,
so everyone has to play by my rules now, even though it will inconvenience
everyone else" has never met with much success.

He asked, if I recall the original post, even saying "please". I personally
get tired of people being jumped on because of the way they access the
internet or newsgroups. People want to live in the early 90's or something.
Well, maybe it's not how they want it but internet is not the same these
days. Talk about Net-dicking as some people say....I mean, who is anyone
else to tell a person how they should or should not access internet. I
simply feel that it is very intolerant, and I have NEVER heard anyone
politely suggest a different method but rather they attack like they are
some kind of superior being squinting at an ant. It just makes me mad that
people must be so rude.

Old February 12th 05, 11:57 PM
Mary

On 2005-02-12, Karen Chuplis penned:
in article

wrote:

[...]

I think we get it. And I for one would fight for your right to have any
hissy fit you feel like having. Meanwhile, WebTV still sucks. HAND.

Old February 13th 05, 12:20 AM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Mary, Your comments have infuriated me. I am through contributing to
this group until the POLL thread is gone.

---MIKE---

Waaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaa!

Shall I call the Waaambulance?

;-)

Pwease. Another Webtv casuawty.

Old February 14th 05, 05:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-12, Karen Chuplis penned:

He asked, if I recall the original post, even saying "please".

You're right, but then he said he simply wouldn't attend the newsgroup until
the thread in question disappears. That comes across as a threat and a "do it
my way" demand unless you're *extremely* diplomatic in the way you say it.

I personally get tired of people being jumped on because of the way
they access the internet or newsgroups. People want to live in the
early 90's or something. Well, maybe it's not how they want it but
internet is not the same these days.

I don't think of newsgroups as having the same low barrier to entry that, say,
the web and IM tools have. They're a more advanced concept with more
features available. To me, this is akin to logging into an IRC channel and
complaining that there are too many conversations going on.

I mean, who is anyone else to tell a person how they should or should
not access internet.

I don't see it this way. The fact of the matter is, the tool Mike's using
makes it impossible for him to read the newsgroup usefully. It (apparently)
doesn't allow him to kill a thread, and this is apparently a big enough deal
to him that he doesn't feel he can read the group. Okay, then, he has two
choices: ask everyone to behave in a way that breaks newsgroup protocol (I'm
still not sure why putting a different subject on the messages in the thread
would help him, but that's neither here nor there), or get a more capable
news client. It's a matter of relying on everyone else to cater to you, or
taking some simple measures to take care of the problem yourself.

For $200, you can get webtv. At Dell you can buy a Dimension Desktop,
including OS, monitor, etc. for $349. And have access to a lot more
than webtv (apparently) gives you. Now, yes, owning a PC does come with
its own set of headaches, especially if you're not used to them. But
apparently, Mike doesn't feel he can read any newsgroup in which a thread
grows to a few hundred posts. Well, that will happen in just about every
newsgroup occasionally.

I simply feel that it is very intolerant, and I have NEVER heard
anyone politely suggest a different method but rather they attack like
they are some kind of superior being squinting at an ant. It just
makes me mad that people must be so rude.

I don't think I'm a superior being, but I'm tired of people driving an Edsel
and then asking everyone else to slow down so that they can feel like they're
driving a Porsche. I do feel bad about Mike's problem, but I think it's
something he himself can fix much more effectively than we can.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch