Cat Pregnancy Questions?

Old August 17th 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

Default Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message

Drowning is a chicken**** way to get rid of cats. People do it out
here.

Really? As compared to what, something like bashing an animals head in with
a shovel? You risk missing the mark or not hitting it properly in one blow
causing even more pain. While a gun is the quickest way, your living on an
island makes using a gun a lot easier to use than discharging one in a
populated area where the noise can cause repercussions from neighbours and
ultimately the police. As well, the majority of people do not own a gun, not
even close.

Drowning (or suffocation as it might be called) brings on unconsciousness
within a few seconds. An animal does not know to take a big breath like a
human might. Unconsciousness happens in less than 10 seconds without
preparing with lungs full of air to start. The struggling is an instinctive
reaction, not a voluntary one. An injured animal that needs to be euthanized
is already in terror to the extreme. It can't become any worse, all that
needs to be done is to stop that terror as fast as possible.

Debate it all you want, but do a little investigation first (like research )
before you dismiss it due to lack knowledge.

Old August 17th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:36:11 -0400, Upscale wrote:

Drowning (or suffocation as it might be called) brings on
unconsciousness within a few seconds. An animal does not know to take a
big breath like a human might. Unconsciousness happens in less than 10
seconds

What is your source for this information? I don't believe it. A
neighbor of mine had a problem with feral cats nesting under his deck,
and he drowned some of them years ago. He said they would struggle for a
good 3 minutes, and after about the second or third one, he started
shooting them instead.

Charlie
Old August 17th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Sheelagh >o

On 17 Aug, 20:08, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:36:11 -0400, Upscale wrote:

Drowning (or suffocation as it might be called) brings on
unconsciousness within a few seconds. An animal does not know to take a
big breath like a human might. Unconsciousness happens in less than 10
seconds

What is your source for this information? I don't believe it. A
neighbor of mine had a problem with feral cats nesting under his deck,
and he drowned some of them years ago. He said they would struggle for a
good 3 minutes, and after about the second or third one, he started
shooting them instead.

Charlie

This would concur with what I witnessed. Slightly less in pure fact.
They were only kittens, & he had to find & catch them first too
It was dreadful & something I never wish to see or support again!! (
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 18th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Sherry

On Aug 17, 2:08 pm, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:36:11 -0400, Upscale wrote:

Drowning (or suffocation as it might be called) brings on
unconsciousness within a few seconds. An animal does not know to take a
big breath like a human might. Unconsciousness happens in less than 10
seconds

What is your source for this information? I don't believe it. A
neighbor of mine had a problem with feral cats nesting under his deck,
and he drowned some of them years ago. He said they would struggle for a
good 3 minutes, and after about the second or third one, he started
shooting them instead.

Charlie

I have a hard time believing it too. It came to our attention that a
animal control in a neighboring
town was trapping skunks, and drowning them in the traps. I lobbied
hard over this. I don't care if
they *are* skunks, I thought it was a terrible, frightening, and
inhumane way to die.

Sherry

Old August 18th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
good 3 minutes, and after about the second or third one, he started
shooting them instead.

Unconsciousness happens in a few seconds, but yes the involuntary struggles
or twitches can take longer. The point is that the animal would be
unconscious and not feeling any pain. Isn't that the point of euthanasia in
any form, to curtail pain?

Old August 18th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:16:10 -0400, Upscale wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
good 3 minutes, and after about the second or third one, he started
shooting them instead.

Unconsciousness happens in a few seconds, but yes the involuntary
struggles or twitches can take longer. The point is that the animal
would be unconscious and not feeling any pain. Isn't that the point of
euthanasia in any form, to curtail pain?

What is the source of your information?

Charlie
Old August 18th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:
[...]

Mark Twain said this: "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into
trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

It's easy enough to research topics like this on the web and find out
what the experts think. The American Veterinary Medical Association's
Guidelines on Euthanasia (June 2007) can be found he

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf

Drowning is listed in "Appendix 4 - Some Unacceptable Agents and Methods
of Euthanasia" with the comment, "Drowning is not a form of euthanasia
and is inhumane."

Charlie

Old August 19th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Dan Espen

wrote:
[...]

Note that those are guidelines for vets.

In a veterinary context there are many methods available that bring
on sudden death or allow for the animal to be sedated first.
Old August 19th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Drowning is listed in "Appendix 4 - Some Unacceptable Agents and Methods
of Euthanasia" with the comment, "Drowning is not a form of euthanasia
and is inhumane."

Note that those are guidelines for vets.

In a veterinary context there are many methods available that bring
on sudden death or allow for the animal to be sedated first.

Thank you. I never said that there weren't easier and more acceptable
methods of euthanasia. All I was trying to get across was that when an
animal was in extreme agony and distress and the more accepted methods of
putting an animal down were not immediately available, then I consider it
more humane to use a fairly quick method to kill the animal. Despite the
squeamishness of some of the respondents in this conversation, drowning is a
relatively quick method.

As to the person that was requesting my source for this information, my
source works in the veterinary industry, but has absolutely no intent on
becoming personally involved in this conversation. If that's not good enough
for you, then feel perfectly free to research the topic yourself and present
your information to the contrary. (with your sources for that information of
course)

Old August 19th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Sheelagh >o

On 19 Aug, 08:41, "Upscale" wrote:
"Dan Espen" wrote in message
[...]

I believe he did, in appendix 4, if you wish to read it. If you follow
the link, you will see his findings in the research he went to the
trouble of producing.

It would seem that I am one of those too squeamish to stick a kittens
head in a bucket of water, & remain holding it there until the poor
creatures struggles ceased.

Perhaps you are right? I just don't have the stomach or confidence to
try, for fear that I would be putting the poor kitten through further
distress. You will understand what I mean when you take a look at the
veterinary surgeons findings.
Sheelagh"o"

Cat pregnancy worries Jimmyness Cat health & behaviour 7 January 5th 06 02:19 AM
complications in cat pregnancy Nancy via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 4 March 10th 05 11:51 PM
signs of pregnancy Just Me Cats - misc 2 April 13th 04 02:15 PM
Vet not detecting pregnancy Marion Cat health & behaviour 36 March 28th 04 01:19 AM
Pregnancy and Heat *~*SooZy*~* Cats - misc 5 July 25th 03 09:17 PM