Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old March 27th 05, 08:12 AM
-L.

Ashley wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't

exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and

the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might

have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if"

forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with

people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it.

That's
their right.

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

-L.

Old March 27th 05, 08:20 AM
Mary

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

Of course not, Brian. You should do anything you want to do.
After all, you've just had such great success introducing a cat
to your current two. (You remember Henry, right?) As long as
the breeder cat will not deprive you of your sleep or in any other
way inconvenience you, all will be well.

Old March 27th 05, 08:27 AM
Mary

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote :

You're asking a tough question here. For me, cats are cats regardless of
breed, so I have to put the question to myself in terms of dogs, where
variations are more significant to me. There are most certainly breeds of
dogs that I like much better than others.

I believe in the principle of generalization (kind of like the golden

rule):
this is one way that Kant proposed to evaluate whether or not something is
moral. You simply pose yourself the question, if everyone were to do what

am considering, would I find the world to be a better or a worse place?

Mo, surely you know that Kant's ethical proofs are entirely full of ****.
His metaphysics are more defensible IMO. But most people think they
are too. The principle of generalization is along the line of Aristotle's
Doctrine of the Mean. Okay in a survey course but entirely indefensible
in terms of proofs. Did you have these things as part of logic courses
or Intro philosophy?

Old March 27th 05, 08:39 AM
Mary

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

BLink

Please don't even consider this. First, don't buy from a breeder because
there are untold numbers of cats already available from shelters and

rescue
groups -- and an unbelievably large number are destined to be euthanized.
If you do decide on a purebred, please look at a shelter (where there

often
are both purebreds and "look-alikes" available) or contact one of the

rescue
groups that rehome abandoned and abused purebreds. Second, I hope you

won't
adopt *any* cat at this time. You have just gone through a difficult time
with Henry, and it would be simply asking for trouble to bring another cat
into your home at this early date.

MaryL

Oh, nonsense, MaryL! You must have some sort of personal problem
to even suggest this. You have a problem with Megan, right? You
must have. It simply cannot be that Brian is a ****ing idiot for even
considering this after he "had to" give Henry up for the peace of his
other cats. Please, try to get hold of yourself. Brian will do what
Brian wants to do, after all.

Old March 27th 05, 10:00 AM
Ashley

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

He's talking about caring for a cat, not harming one. Get a grip.

Old March 27th 05, 10:58 AM
-L.

Ashley wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or

neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave

dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

He's talking about caring for a cat, not harming one. Get a grip.

Every cat bread means another dies. If you think that's not
"harming" cats, I don't really have anything else to say.

-L.

Old March 27th 05, 01:21 PM
Phil P.

"Brian Link" wrote in message

Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a purebred.

As long as you adopt the cat from a kill shelter - it doesn't matter because
you'll be saving a life and providing a companion for Tiger. If you plan to
buy a 'purebred', first, you might want to take a stroll down death row of
your local kill shelter and then see how those forsaken faces make you feel
about buying a cat from a breeder who probably has a waiting list of buyers
and can't churn out cats fast enough.

Why do you ask? Does something not seem right about buying a cat from a
breeder while millions of cats are killed every year because of the lack of
homes?

Old March 27th 05, 01:24 PM
Phil P.

"Ashley" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

He's talking about caring for a cat, not harming one. Get a grip.

He's harming the cat he could have adopted. Get a conscience and some
compassion.

Old March 27th 05, 01:29 PM
Phil P.

"Ashley" wrote in message

When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

That's because self-gratification is more important to you than the welfare
of the feline *species*.