Former feral cat Behavior

Old April 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Former feral cat Behavior

Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?
Old April 19th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail[_2_]

It takes much time and patience. Remeber to speak softly to him and to sit
(quietly) in the room when you feed him. Also, try interactive toys with him
(ie. a feather on wand). Do you let the cats sleep with you? In time, he
will be a wonderful pet.
Gail

Old April 19th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I just took in a feral cat too. At first she would hiss and growl at me and
would run when I came near her. Now, 8 weeks later, she will come up to me,
let me pet her, pick her up, etc. She still will run from me if I walk
towards her. It just takes lots of time. As Gail said, speak softly when
you sit with him. Play with him along with the other cat. Reward him with
a treat or two when he lets you pet him, etc.

Good luck. I'm sure after time he will be a loving pet.

S.
---

Old April 19th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Hi Gail,

Yes I let them sleep with me.He doesn't bite or try to scratch so I am
lucky.He is very young still almost a year old.He is getting better.He
comes closer during feeding and play time.I think he will be a lovely
pet when he gets more confident.

Old April 19th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

--
**Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
wrote in message

Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Thank you.He is not that angry where he hisses but he is very timid.He
is getting braver and I hope he will be as loving as my other cat who
is close to his age.I always encourage him and talk to him.He is such
a sweet soul.

Old April 19th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-mhd[_2_]

" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Even as he gets more trusting and comes to you some cats have that
quirk of putting space between you if you approach them and they never
seem to get over it. My former feral Gus (RIP July 1, 2007) was that
way. I could always walk to up to his bowl while he was eating and he
would jump up on the bed at night but I never could walk towards him.
If he was taking an afternoon sun session he would sometimes let me
walk up to him if he was off the ground such as on a chair or bay
window ledge. I just learned he was more comfortable on his terms and
I didn't betray his trust by pursuing him.

-mhd
Old April 20th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Guy

" wrote:

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.

Are they both neutered / spayed?

He is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction
he runs away. Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

It can take 2 weeks, or 2 months, or 2 years.

Was the cat born in the wild?

Or was he someone's pet who has been awol for half his life?
Old April 20th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I'm not sure what his complete history is.He was found with a colony
of ferals but he seemed to be the most adoptable because he allowed
people to feed him.I think he never lived in a house with a human so
this evironment is pretty new for him.
Old April 20th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Guy

" wrote:

I'm not sure what his complete history is.

I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
cats were neutered / spayed.