[Dog] Chicken bones?

Old June 15th 11, 11:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [Dog] Chicken bones?

We had roast chicken for dinner. Yum yum.

We duly paid up on our 'critter tax' in the form of tid-bit goodness
(Cary being more generous with his portion of chicken than either Joel
or I, but he's like that) because we'd be mobbed if we didn't (we are
mobbed if we do, as well, come to think of it).

When we finished, I picked the last of the edible bits off and bagged
them for later sandwiches. The carcass went in the kitchen bin, like I
always have done.

I have just come back from doing the nightly routine of putting Cary to
bed, and came back to the kitchen for a relaxing adult-time cuppa.
Bliss! But to my dismay, I discovered the bin cupboard open, the bin
knocked over, the carcass missing, a greasy mess on the floor, and one
very full and somewhat guilty looking dog trying to convince me she knew
nothing.

Which is not to say that it was *just* Pepper who helped themselves to
forbidden delights, but as soon as Pepper would have gotten to it , the
feline contingent would have backed off. (why when both felines are far
better equipped at putting a dog their size in its place than said dog
is of doing any significant damage to either cat is a mystery but thats
how it is around here) so they wouldn't have gotten much. Pepper is most
likely if not the *only* perpetrator, then the major player and prime
beneficiary of the proceeds.

Which leaves me with a problem: I know its *really* bad to give cooked
chicken wings to critters. But what to do when the deed is done? What
should I look out for whilst things are passing through the system. And
as chief (and only, it seems) poo picker upper, is there anything
obvious I should look for in the poo so I know when things have passed
and I can stop worrying?

And yes, chicken carcasses will be duly deposited in the *outside* bin
from now on.

(Proof that Pepper is *much* cheekier than Fluffy was, IMHO)

Yowie
Old June 15th 11, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:18:29 +1000, Yowie
wrote:

[...]

I would say to call your vet and ask them. They could give you better
and expert advice.

Old June 15th 11, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

[...]

Alas, far too late for that (the vet had been shut for nearly 3 hours
when I posted the original). And its not an emergency... yet. Everything
is fine so far. Fingers crossed everything will pass without a problem.

Yowie
Old June 15th 11, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Chicken bones?

On Jun 15, 11:18*am, Yowie wrote:

Which leaves me with a problem: I know its *really* bad to give cooked
chicken wings to critters. But what to do when the deed is done?

I don't know whether this experience will help you but it happened to
me. I;d got Dave some chicken and chips from a new fried chicken
place but after 2 bites he pronouced it "Disgusting" and binned it So
realising the 2 kittens (They were about 5 months old at the time)
had spotted it I thought when I went to the shops I should have to
take the rubbish out but somehow it slipped my mind.

Woke up the next morning to find the bin still in place but the box
lying in the middle of the floor was just a couple of chips left....

I never did find the bones I know I am not the World's greatest
housekeeper but I am not so bad that I wouldn't have found them by
now.

Spent days worrying over the kittens, phoned vet and got advice,
inspected their litter tray in rather more detail than I would have
liked,,,,nothing......they didn;t even have indigestion!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 15th 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

*wrote:

[...]

From experience, I have to say that nothing is going to happen if it
hasn't happened yet. The bad things that can happen happen before the
stomach acids get to the bones. On the other hand, I would still
consult a vet, rather than listen to an old guy whose dogs have eaten
chicken bones a few times.

--
Will in New Haven
Old June 15th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

If the bones splinter, it could be an emergency. If there's an emergency
vet clinic (24 hour type) anywhere in your calling area, I'd call and ask.
If not, just keep your fingers crossed and watch for any signs of distress.

Joy

Old June 15th 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sophia[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Of course watch for signs of distress, any bleeding or blood in stools
get to vet post haste. Meantime try giving pooch some white bread -
if any bones are still in throat (unlikely) the soft break can help
them go down. D*gs of all sizes eat and digest some pretty amazing
and unbelievable things without any trouble - although it shouldn't be
the norm, obviously.

We stupidly gave our dog one, just one, oatmeal butterscotch cookie,
and few days later let her finish a bit of cream that was left over -
almost killer her. Seriously. A blazing case of acute pancreatitis.
We felt HORRIBLE (of course she felt even worse). She survived. Not
a breed prone to this, we had to really think back as to what she
could have eaten and at first thought she had consumed a mole or
bird...but no, moron humans. The fat in those two treats was
comparable to giving her a chocolate easter bunny - her enzymes were
off the chart and then somes. Poor baby, now thinks she is being
punished because she no longer gets anything but d*ggie food and
treats that are low fat and low fiber NOT gonna court chronic
pancreatitis.

Good luck. I think your d*ggie will be fine.

Sophia

Old June 15th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Pepper will probably be all right. Broiler chickens (from the supermarket)
are now bred to be killed at 8 weeks old so their bones are still fairly
soft and she should digest them.
It is not the case with older birds. Their cooked bones are sharp and can
easily pierce the intestines.
I hope I have relieved your worry.

Having said this no-one should "deliberately" feed any chicken bones to
dogs. Ever.

Tweed

Old June 15th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 15/06/2011 8:18 PM, Yowie wrote:
[...]

Pepper seems to be her usual self this morning. She turned her nose up
at the dog kibble in her bowl, and chose instead to eat the cat kibble.
Pickle will eat cat kibble if he's hungry, but prefers dog kibble. Suki
likes gooshy food rather than kibble.

Critters!

Yowie
Old June 17th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
We had roast chicken for dinner. Yum yum.

We duly paid up on our 'critter tax' in the form of tid-bit goodness (Cary
being more generous with his portion of chicken than either Joel or I, but
he's like that) because we'd be mobbed if we didn't (we are mobbed if we
do, as well, come to think of it).

When we finished, I picked the last of the edible bits off and bagged them
for later sandwiches. The carcass went in the kitchen bin, like I always
have done.

First off, freeze that carcass to make chicken stock. A few vegetables and
herbs and you have a wonderful, gelatinous, aromatic stock from which to
make future soups (chicken noodle, potato, etc.)

I have just come back from doing the nightly routine of putting Cary to
bed, and came back to the kitchen for a relaxing adult-time cuppa. Bliss!
But to my dismay, I discovered the bin cupboard open, the bin knocked
over, the carcass missing, a greasy mess on the floor, and one very full
and somewhat guilty looking dog trying to convince me she knew nothing.

(snippage)

Which leaves me with a problem: I know its *really* bad to give cooked
chicken wings to critters. But what to do when the deed is done? What
should I look out for whilst things are passing through the system. And as
chief (and only, it seems) poo picker upper, is there anything obvious I
should look for in the poo so I know when things have passed and I can
stop worrying?

Hopefully the bones were soft enough to digest. The reason you don't give
dogs (or cats) chicken bones is because they splinter. They can perforate
the stomach or their intestines on their way out of the chute (so to speak).
There's nothing you can really do other than watch for blood in feces or
signs of if they are in pain. If so, immediate trip to the vet!

Jill