Some questions about flea infestation

Old September 26th 03, 04:21 AM

Meghan, I will try to find anything I can on this and let you know. I know
several other PCO's in FL and I will have them take a look here at our posts
and see if they can help you anymore than I can. Actually it was these guys
that told me about a big company in FL that was doing this treatment and
they were either shut down or the treatment was stopped and the company had
nothing other to do but close their doors. I will see what I can find and
post it here for you.

--
I wish you all the best
Tim W

Old September 26th 03, 04:56 AM
Lar

In article ,
says...
Do you have any links to information on this? I have asthma, but I
have not had any problems with it. I'm the one who sprinkles it into
the rug.

I don't think allergies would be the correct term but
people with respiratory issues in general can have
problems with the dust. Here is the MSDS for boric acid.
http://www.chess.cornell.edu/Safety/MSDS/boric_acid.htm
I believe the grade of the product the various
companies used for the flea control was not pure boric
acid for they claimed it was less toxic than table salt,
which boric acid is not, and has of course evolved into
grabbing what's ever labeled as boric acid and now is
used. I remember several customers that used the "Year
Long" flea control cursed many months after the
treatments due to excessive dust that constantly had to
be cleaned, which had to also of been breathed in. About
the only benefit boric acid treatments will have is that
it is cheap, but compared product to product, though it
can be relatively safe to use, probably is more toxic
than what's out there. Another "less toxic" approach
will be to introduce insect growth regulators (IGR's)
into the area. The sprays for the interior will stay
active up to 7 months and can be applied to the pets as
a spray monthly. If fleas are brought in and lay eggs
before the animal is cleaned, the growth regulator will
keep the eggs from hatching. My vote still goes to
having the animal treated with either Frontline or
Advantage. Before those product it was not unusual to
get 3-6 calls a day for fleas during the Summer. After
the first year those products came out that dropped to
maybe a couple of dozen flea jobs all year long.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old September 26th 03, 06:21 AM
The Real Bev

Ned Flanders wrote:

As a barrier around garden beds, it
discourages slugs and snails. Caution: only natural diatomaceous earth
should be used for pest control (not pool grade).

Why?

--
Cheers,
Bev