Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old March 27th 05, 04:18 AM
Brian Link

Default Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

Eh.. I'm not totally driven to take in another cat, but I keep
wondering what Louis will do when Tiger finally dies.. it would be so
nice for him to have another friend around. Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a purebred.

BLink
Old March 27th 05, 04:23 AM
Ashley

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

No. You'll be adopting a cat that's alive, whether it's purebred or moggie.
It will need a home, you'll give it one, simple, really.

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

No. Do what you want - it's your life, not the life of those who rant
against purebreds. When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

Old March 27th 05, 06:51 AM

Ashley wrote:
"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which

we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

No. You'll be adopting a cat that's alive, whether it's purebred or

moggie.
It will need a home, you'll give it one, simple, really.

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and the
kitten will get a home irregardless. A shelter cat doesn't have that
guarantee.

Old March 27th 05, 07:42 AM
Ashley

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if" forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it. That's
their right.

Old March 27th 05, 08:12 AM
-L.

Ashley wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't

exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and

the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might

have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if"

forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with

people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it.

That's
their right.

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

-L.

Old March 27th 05, 10:00 AM
Ashley

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Sure it's their "right". It's also their right not to spay or neuter;
to dump animals at a shelter; to declaw, dock or crop; to leave dogs in
the back yard chained to a tree all day, every day; and a myriad of
other behaviors not in the best interest of animals, as a whole.
Having the "right" doesn't make it "right" to do so.

He's talking about caring for a cat, not harming one. Get a grip.

Old March 27th 05, 07:29 PM

Ashley wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't

exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and

the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might

have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if"

forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with

people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it.

That's
their right.

Bull****. The kitten does NOT "need a home." You're advocating buying
a specific breed because you *want* it. Don't use such a lame
justification. Just simply say you don't give a **** about how many
homeless cats there are already, as long as you get the look you want.
THAT is your "right".

Sherry

Old March 27th 05, 10:20 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ashley wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Ashley is of the 500-lb gorilla school of ethics. "Should I do it"
becomes "Can I do it and do I want to?"

Old March 27th 05, 01:29 PM
Phil P.

"Ashley" wrote in message

When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

That's because self-gratification is more important to you than the welfare
of the feline *species*.