Catfood - Sheba ??

Old July 29th 13, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Catfood - Sheba ??

"Jack Campin" wrote in message

[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals".

I tried to read the list of ingredients on a can of Sheba when
I was at the grocery today, but the list was so long and in
such tiny print that I could not read it. I will need to take
a magnifying glass next time. I really don't like seeing such
long lists, either--I like to see a list of ingredients where
I can understand what is included!!!

The one I have is pretty straightforward - it just adds to the
description I quoted "4% cod" and gives a list of exactly what
mineral salts are added as supplements (which is very good
information, better than most human food supplement packaging).

Sheba is made by Mars both in the UK and Ireland. I'd be very
surprised if it didn't have significant amounts of horse in it
a year ago as a result of the horsemeat-contamination scandal
that started in Ireland. (The same was probably true of more
downmarket brands of catfood). Some of that horsemeat contained
phenylbutazone, which is not good, but I don't think measured
levels ever got high enough to be detectably damaging to either
cats or humans.

BTW, the best magnifier you can get for reading fine print is an
old camera lens, 50mm standard or 35mm wide-angle, from some kind
of camera that had interchangeable lenses. You usually hold it
with the back of the lens facing the text. I use one in my work
when I need to examine old books really carefully. You can usually
pick one up in a flea market for next to nothing.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

~~~~~~~
The list of ingredients I saw on the Internet is very short, but the list on
the actual Sheba can I looked at is extremely long. I'll have to try your
suggestion about a camera lens. Good idea...and I already have several
lenses from some old cameras before I changed to digital.

MaryL

Old July 29th 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

On 7/28/2013 8:24 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
[Sheba]
I have a tray of the UK one right here - ingredients "meat and
animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals". It's
expensive so ours only get it as a special treat.
If it's in the plastic tray, that's the old style, at least here (US).

It's a fairly thick aluminium foil tray. I've never seen it in any
other packaging.

I've never seen that type of packaging. But then again I only started
seeing it in local (South Carolina, USA) stores this year. It's in
small tins, just like Fancy Feast. A few cents less expensive per can, too.

I remember the trays.

Joyce
--
Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things. -- Douglas Adams

Old July 30th 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

I might be wrong about Sheba having sugar in - but I think I'm not. Every
treaty food he can have has sugar in. I will look at Sheba again next time
I go to the supermarket but I think it said "various sugars"
If there's no sugar in Sheba. Boyfie can have it. If so, no way as there
goes his teeth.

Atm his teeth are fine because he is not allowed any food with sugar in.
Felix has sugar in and Whiskas doesn't.
I am aware that USA people think that Whiskas is bad, but my vets disagree.
They recommend it.
Boyfie loves it.
Tweed

Old July 30th 13, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

Why do they think Whiskas is bad?

Jay (one of the USA people who never fed his cats Whiskas but would like to
know).

Old July 30th 13, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

Cats are obligate carnivores, and they should have *no* grains. Look at the
ingredients in Whiskas--corn gluten meal, ground wheat, etc. (with variation
depending on the flavor).

MaryL

Old July 30th 13, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"JJ" wrote in message ...

Why do they think Whiskas is bad?

Jay (one of the USA people who never fed his cats Whiskas but would like
to know).

No idea. My vet thinks it's fine and Boyfie has it. He doesn't think he
needs anything else and is surprised to see how USA people spend so much
money on special expensive food that cats don't need.

Old July 31st 13, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message ...

Why do they think Whiskas is bad?

Jay (one of the USA people who never fed his cats Whiskas but would like to
know).

Cats are obligate carnivores, and they should have *no* grains. Look at the
ingredients in Whiskas--corn gluten meal, ground wheat, etc. (with variation
depending on the flavor).

It's not just the grain, which is bad enough. It's the "meat by-products"
that worry me. I recently read an article saying that almost anything can
be a "meat by-product" if it resulted from processing of meat. That includes
floor sweepings, among other things. You really have no idea what's in such
a vague ingredient. The article I read even suggested that euthanized pets
were in the unspecified meat by-product. I'm kind of skeptical about that,
but worse things have happened in the food industry, so who knows. As long
as I can afford to do so, I'm going to feed my cats food that is clearly
identified so I know I'm giving them something that's good for them.

--
Joyce

There is no alternative to being yourself.
Old July 31st 13, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

MaryL wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~
Yes, that's true. Good point.

MaryL

Old July 31st 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message ...

[...]

So I guess I'm doing OK with Fancy Feast?

Jay

Old August 1st 13, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:52:58 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message ...

[...]

We've tried the canned Sheeba. My cats won't eat it. I have no idea
why since I won't try it myself.