OT Nursery rhymes

Old September 6th 13, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default OT Nursery rhymes

When you apply for a post in the NHS, they do ask things like race and sexual orientation although you can select "prefer not to say" on the form but those parts of the form along with name/address/date of birth are removed from the form and held by HR and only the work history, educational achievements etc element of the form is seen by the people who draw up the shortlist. They only find out the names of the people they've chosen when the shortlist has been finalised

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 6th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

On 9/3/2013 5:37 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

You're right I do have some nice things to say about my husband but then
do like him (most of the time) otherwise I wouldn't have been with him
for
the past 41 years but that's about him the person. I suppose that maybe
saying that I find a particular man attractive is talking about sexual
orientation.

I don't think that potential employers are allowed to ask the question
but
this screen was on a new computer system for payroll and we had to
complete it along with naming a person to get in touch with in case of an
emergency. I cannot see how my sexual orientation affects my salary or
how
I calculate that of someone else.

Sometimes questions like that and ones about race or immigration/native
born status are asked so that the employer can collect statistics about
the composition of their workforce. They may want to - or even be
required to - show that they have certain percentages of people in
different categories to 'prove' that they are not discriminating against
anyone.

I always put 'prefer not to answer' for such questions, although
sometimes I answer ones about immigration background because unless
they're worded very carefully, I can answer them honestly and leave the
impression that my background is different than it really is.

I don't think those things should be any concern of my employer.

--
Cheryl

~~~~~~~~
I served on a number of search committees and chaired several. We were
not permitted to ask any of those questions, and none of our forms
included them. There was a separate form that was sent to candidates from
Human Resources that had some of those questions specifically to collect
statistics (just as you said). The questionnaire makes it clear that
completing the form is voluntary. Of course, that also skews the results.
Each department--and the university as a whole--also had to submit data
concerning gender, race/ethnicity, etc. but without including names. I
have never seen sexual orientation on any of the forms.

MaryL

I worked in the security department of an American aerospace company.
Applications for clearances asked about race, but not sexual preference.

Joy