a very big rat

Old September 7th 13, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default a very big rat

I found one deceased on the path down to my chickens yesterday. I knew
Boyfie couldn't have dunnit as it was far too big for his comfort zone so my
neighbour a few doors away who also has chickens are probably poisoning.
I've chosen not to use poison, I did used to once but I saw a rat dying
slowly from it and was forced to kill it myself which I don't want to do
again. I prefer the terrier option.

I really, really wanted to throw this dead rat over into my neighbour's
pristine blockpaved, no leaf will go there yard as a sort of revenge for
their bullying stuff over the wall and exceeding the law about pruning my
tree and making me spend 1400 to get a drop kerb in
But, even though I picked the rat up by the tail and I had every intention
of doing it, I just couldn't because I knew it was wrong. So I didn't.
good girlie, eh?

Tweed

Old September 7th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations for taking the high road. Not an easy thing to do under the
circumstances.

Joy

Old September 7th 13, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm quite proud of myself but if they do anything bad in the next few days,
I still have the rat.

Old September 7th 13, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I really, really wanted to throw this dead rat over into my neighbour's
pristine blockpaved, no leaf will go there yard as a sort of revenge for
their bullying stuff over the wall and exceeding the law about pruning my
tree and making me spend 1400 to get a drop kerb in
But, even though I picked the rat up by the tail and I had every
intention of doing it, I just couldn't because I knew it was wrong. So I
didn't.
good girlie, eh?

Tweed

Congratulations for taking the high road. Not an easy thing to do under
the circumstances.

Joy

I'm quite proud of myself but if they do anything bad in the next few days,
I still have the rat.

I sympathize with the neighbor situation, I really do. But where on
earth would you be storing the dead rat?! I know your neighbors have
been really troublesome for some time. But I cannot figure out where
I'd store a dead rat to make a point...

Jill
Jill
Old September 7th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

It's in my very big garden so if leave it there it won't matter.
It will probably get buried by burying beetles. If foxy doesn't find it
first.

Old September 7th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

this is a fresh one. and I so wanted to do it.

Old September 8th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

[...]

I can.
Joke.
Boyfriend only does small rats and the huge rat deceased on the path he
assures me is "nothing to do with him"
But what if he catches a small one that's been poisoned and eats it?

Old September 8th 13, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip
Boyfriend only does small rats and the huge rat deceased on the path he
assures me is "nothing to do with him"
But what if he catches a small one that's been poisoned and eats it?

~~~~~~
That was my concern as soon as I read your message. So, I hope you're wrong
about the poison. Rat poison can be terrible stuff once it gets in the food
chain.

MaryL

Old September 8th 13, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

snip
Boyfriend only does small rats and the huge rat deceased on the path he
assures me is "nothing to do with him"
But what if he catches a small one that's been poisoned and eats it?

~~~~~~
That was my concern as soon as I read your message. So, I hope you're
wrong about the poison. Rat poison can be terrible stuff once it gets in
the food chain.

MaryL

I hoping it's been killed in a fight with another rat, but as it was a
female and there were no marks on it it seem unlikely. Poison is looking
like the culprit, tbh.
Which of course is a big concern.

My neighbour Stan a few doors away also keeps chickens and I know he uses
poison to control his rats - it's impossible to keep
chickens or pigs without getting rats, tbh, so maybe it came from there as
big rats wander. Hopefully it came from there - if it has small babies the
size Boyfie is comfortable with they are not likely to either get here or
have ingested poison, because he isn't brave enough to kill them unless they
are just fresh out of the nest, in size not much bigger than huge mice. He
did try a bigger one once only
Have you seen their teeth? They can eat through concrete and he got
bitten, so he uses his hunting talents to destroy the young generation only
so this will probably save him from secondary poison.

If he misses some of the baby rats and they get big, I bring the terriers
in. If I have to kill them I think it's the kindest way as they either get
away or they don't.
They don't die very slowly over days.

Tweed

Old September 8th 13, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Man, I hope they aren't using poison! Can you talk to them and ask them? Maybe it was something else that killed the rat. One of my online friend just lost a cat to rat poison - her landlord put out poison to control the rats, and her cat ate one. The poison has also killed all the squirrels in the neighborhood too. There are non toxic rat control baits out there, but not sure if they use them in the UK. (The rats eat the bait, the bait swells up and starves the rat to death)