Purrs Monday through Thursday, please

Old November 13th 14, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default home Now! was Purrs Monday through Thursday, please

On 11/13/2014 2:52 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
"Sylvia M" wrote in message
Pit2nya will be going in to Radio-Cats on Monday for radioactive iodine
treatment for her hyperthyroid. We'll be driving her back home on
Thursday. She will not be allowed in our bedroom for 2 weeks, but we can
pet her, albeit wash our hands more.

At least no 2 x per day pilling, a permanent cure, less regular lab work.
I've got her blanket and a couple of toys packed. They will offer food,
but I'm also sending what she's used to. The trip is only about 1/2 hour.

Thanks for all of your support through this experience!

Sylvia M

We picked Pit2nya up today. She looks the same, meowed a bit more coming
home.
She's walking around, smelling everything, I guess to see that there hasn't
been an intruder cat ;-)
We'll be washing our hands more, after petting her for the next 2weeks,
then testing by her vet in one and in three months. I'm sure it will all
be fine.

Thanks for your support thought this ...ordeal? adventure?
learning experience, for sure.

Sylvia M

I'm glad the worst is over. I suspect the next two weeks will be
difficult for everybody, with no lap-sitting or cats on beds. I'm sure
you'll all be glad when things get back to normal.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old November 14th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Purrs Monday through Thursday, please

On 11/9/2014 3:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Pit2nya will be going in to Radio-Cats on Monday for radioactive iodine
treatment for her hyperthyroid. We'll be driving her back home on Thursday.
She will not be allowed in our bedroom for 2 weeks, but we can pet her,
albeit wash our hands more.

At least no 2 x per day pilling, a permanent cure, less regular lab work.
I've got her blanket and a couple of toys packed. They will offer food, but
I'm also sending what she's used to. The trip is only about 1/2 hour.

Thanks for all of your support through this experience!

Sylvia M

A little late to the game but I hope all went well!

Jill ---still under the weather
Old November 14th 14, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/10/2014 9:22 AM, Jack Campin wrote:
Pit2nya will be going in to Radio-Cats on Monday for radioactive
iodine treatment for her hyperthyroid. [...]
At least no 2 x per day pilling, a permanent cure, less regular
lab work.

Isn't the point of radio-iodine treatment that it completely
obliterates thyroid activity? You still have to pill the cat
and get lab tests done, the difference is that thyroid hormone
supplements are less toxic than anti-thyroid medication.

I didn't have to give Persia any pills after her radioactive treatment.

Jill

Old November 14th 14, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 11/9/2014 3:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Pit2nya will be going in to Radio-Cats on Monday for radioactive iodine
treatment for her hyperthyroid. We'll be driving her back home on
Thursday.
She will not be allowed in our bedroom for 2 weeks, but we can pet her,
albeit wash our hands more.

At least no 2 x per day pilling, a permanent cure, less regular lab
work.
I've got her blanket and a couple of toys packed. They will offer food,
but
I'm also sending what she's used to. The trip is only about 1/2 hour.

Thanks for all of your support through this experience!

Sylvia M

A little late to the game but I hope all went well!

Jill ---still under the weather

Pit2nya is home and seems to be feeling o.k.
Hope you feel that way soon, too.

Old November 16th 14, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Pit2nya will be going in to Radio-Cats on Monday for radioactive
iodine treatment for her hyperthyroid. [...]
At least no 2 x per day pilling, a permanent cure, less regular
lab work.

Isn't the point of radio-iodine treatment that it completely
obliterates thyroid activity? You still have to pill the cat
and get lab tests done, the difference is that thyroid hormone
supplements are less toxic than anti-thyroid medication.

The point of radioactive iodine is it is absorbed by the growths
(nodules) on the thyroid that are causing it to produce too much
hormone. These are thus destroyed. They do not continue to
grow or become cancerous, which is not the case by continual
dosing with anti-thyroid medication, which does not destroy the
nodules. They may continue to grow, with the possibility of
becoming cancerous as well.

The result of treatment is that usually one,both cat and human, is
left with a normally functioning thyroid, without the causal actors,
nodules, still a factor.In a very high (but not all) percentage, this
results in a permanent cure.

Two lab tests, one month and three months after treatment, are
necessary to make certain of adequate results. Neither further
follow-up nor medication should be necessary.

That's what I was given to understand, both by my veterinarian,
and what I read on the Radio Cat website, as well as their patient
information.

Hope this helps clarify.

Sylvia