How did you choose your furry masters?

Old October 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Denise Clere

cute. our Maggie chose our son,Matthew(almost5 now),we wanted a kid friendly
cat,we were at the shelter looking & she just reached out her paw & snagged
his shirt as if to say"i choose you !" we took her out of the cage & she
just curled up on his shoulder & snuggled & purred !!
"Wilba" wilba at arach dot net dot au wrote in message
Kajikit wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

We had been going to the shelter for a couple of weeks to see what was
what, and on this day we decided we were ready - if the right cat was
there we would take it.

We got to a cage with a cute big kitten sitting up on the shelf. We said
hello and she meowed and jumped down to come and meet us. We squatted down
by the front of the cage to have a chat with her. I turned to Janice to
say that this looked like a nice cat. While my head was turned, Tashie
stood up on her back legs, reached through the wire, and touched my cheek
with her paw, like, "I choose... YOU!"

Old October 19th 04, 05:54 AM
LOL

--

My RB Mikey was given to me as a tiny kitten. The office cats Ozzy
and Tiger just appeared on the office doorstep (separately, about a

------
Krista

Old October 21st 04, 05:10 PM
jmcquown

Kajikit wrote:
Or did they choose you? Stories please!

Persia chose me. I have no idea why. She showed up at my back door one
afternoon, January 6, 2001. Meowed and meowed, demanded to be let in. I
admit I tried to shoo her away. She came back. It was bitterly cold that
day and as the sun set and it was 28 degrees farenheight. I couldn't stand
the thought of her out there in the cold. I said to myself, okay... I'll go
to the store and get "cat stuff" and if she's still there when I get home
I'll let her in.

I went to Walgreen's, bought a bag of cheap cat food, a plastic water/food
dish and a litter box and some litter. When I came back it was even more
cold and I let her inside. She was cautious. She inspected the apartment
and apparently pronounced it fine.

I took photos of her and printed up flyers which I posted around the
neighborhood. I noted she had been front declawed. I called area shelters
and vets. Also contacted the apartment office. No one had reported her
missing. I had no intention of keeping her. I'd never been around cats
before and my dog had died in 1999 so I wasn't sure I wanted a furry master.

By day 3, however, she had claimed my heart. For one thing, that first
night she curled up on the pillow above my head and slept there. The next
thing she did was start to get into my cabinets and drawers with those deft
little paws. My dog was smart, but he wasn't smart enough to figure that
out. By the third day I realized I was completely won over and was the
proud owner of a cat. I said, "Well, I have to call you something." The
name Persia popped into my head. She was walking away from me at the time
and I said it out loud. She immediately ran back to me. Hmmm, so that's
your name!

I took her to the vet, where they checked her for microchips. None (now
she's chipped). They did a thorough checkup and pronounced her healthy and
about 2 years old, also probably spayed due to scar tissue on her belly.
I've been hers ever since.

Don't worry about a cat not liking you. If you do what others suggest, go
to a shelter and let the cat pick you out. Persia certainly picked me out;
I have no idea why. Somehow they just *know*.

Jill