How did you choose your furry masters?

Old October 16th 04, 04:12 PM
Susan M

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message

About six months went by, and everything was so great, I figured two was
better than one, and anyway, Mandy might be lonely, being at home alone
during the day. So I starting thinking about making enquiries about
Siamese again. A friend - actually, the mother of the girl who named Mandy
- started telling me about this cat in their neighbourhood that looked so
much like Mandy they used to mistake him for Mandy. There were numerous
reports about this cat - how the kids on the street fed him, how the
tenants who owned him had moved out of the province without making any
arrangements for him. How the new tenants didn't want a cat around, and
the landlady said if he didn't get a home, she'd have him sent to the
local shelter, which always has far more unwanted cats than space to keep
them, especially the nearly grown and semi-feral ones. How their family
couldn't take a cat right now, and what a shame it was because this was
such a nice cat. Well, with PR like this, it wasn't long before I said,
OK, I'll *look* at him, and I'd take him to the vet for an initial
look-over, but if he wasn't healthy, or had something Mandy could catch,
I couldn't keep him. The new tenants happily cooperated in catching him,
and when I saw that terrified cat with the cute stripy face, I had this
feeling that I had a new cat, whatever the vet's report said. One of the
first things the vet noticed was that he was a she!

Awww - I didn't know Betsy's story. What a lovely story. Now I want to see
pictures!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 16th 04, 04:34 PM
Ted Davis

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:35:32 +1000, Kajikit
wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

Of the eleven who live with me at the moment:
one came to supper and stayed (12 years ago) (Spooky)
two came from asking a stranger (obviously a farmer) if he had any
extra kittens (Ozy and Millie)
one came from a co-worker who was asking if anyone wanted one of his
surplus kittens (Fluffy)
one was given to me by my boss - the stray came to his house but
they couldn't keep him (this cat grew up to become Fleagor The Great:
my magnificent alpha cat)
the rest were obtained through local classified web ads
two were abandoned and the people who found them couldn't keep
them (a brother and sister pair of kittens: Dandy and Maryweather)
two (brothers - Avery and Mudpie) were culls from a rural family
who had too many
the rest were 'moving and can't keep the cat' cases (Snowball,
Tigger)

Their pictures and stories, along with those of some I no longer have
are at http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/tdavis/cats/index.html.

--
T.E.D. )

Old October 16th 04, 04:57 PM
Susan M

"Kajikit" wrote in message
Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

After my dad took our cat away to a farm when I was a kid (for reasons I
still don't understand since he's the nicest dad in the world, all else
considering), I always wanted a cat. Years of being in University (8) and
renting (5) later and I was practically foaming at the mouth to get a kitty.
Enter my husband who met an important condition of marriage - loved cats!!
We eventually bought a house and we were READY.

Like Cheryl, I had Ideas. I had and Idea that I would get a Tonkinese cat
or a Siamese (also apple-headed as we had been illegally fostering one in
our apartment http://community.webshots.com/photo/...4462xhSvFrRMse
.. I had read up and read up and visited cat shows and was ready. Fred was
totally against this and wanted to rescue a kitty from the shelter. He
said, come on, we'll Just Look. I knew that he had an extremely good point
and also knew that I would never realize my dream unless a shelter had one
of those kitties. We drove up to the shelter and I knew we were facing our
destiny. We were coming home with a cat and that was that.

We walked in and there was a kitten in a cage marked "Sweetest Siamese" ...
except he was white and grey on a Siamese body. Ears twice the size of his
head. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...4618OWNtVwYIRb and
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...5189DyzfITYCOg . A man was
trying to get his attention but Otis (as yet un-named) hid in the back when
the man tried to baby talk him and rushed up to the front when I arrived -
stuck his paws out and grabbed me. We took him out, Otis climbed all over
up one side and down side of me, purring like a mack truck, and we raced to
the shelter volunteer and said "THIS IS THE ONE". They wouldn't let us take
him home right away, we had to wait five days to see if he was claimed since
he was a stray. Five long days later, I went and picked up our little boy.
He immediately became the alpha creature of the house.

Chester's story is in your previous thread.

I'm very excited for you!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 16th 04, 05:22 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Kajikit
wrote:

Or did they choose you? Stories please!

(no I'm not just a voyeur... in three weeks we'll be getting our own
kitties and I'm getting nervous - I've never ever had a cat of my own
in my entire life! What if they decide they don't like me?)

Chatterley (RB) literally showed up on a roof of a wing of the house,
adjoining a bathroom. I became aware of being watched while on the
porcelain throne. She accepted being taken in.

My ex and I were not yet married at the time, but she declared that when
we got married, Chatterley should as well. A co-worker, who lived on a
farm, had a litter of kittens, and she chose Clifford (RB) as
Chatterley's arranged mate. Wonderful cat, but the two never got along.

My current three were adopted at the same time from a rescue group.
Their practice is to open cages and put a cat of interest into your arms
as a first look. When they opened Rhonda's cage, however, while her
sister ignored me, she rushed through the door, into my arms, and began
vigorously licking my nose.

Ding was the one among his litter mates who took the most interest in
me. With him, it was less an immediate bonding thing, and he's always
been the most skittish. He was born of a feral mother and socialized
once he was weaned, so he might not have been as tolerant of humans.

Mr. Clark looked up at me, very calmly. When I held him, he simply
shifted to a better cuddling position, purred, and looked wise. He was
the adult of the three, and has always been the most open to new
situations.