Census. Please respond.

Old June 6th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Default Census. Please respond.

Current cat

Name: Laku
Gender: neutered male
Breed: DMH mutt cat
Colour: 100% brownish black (as opposed to bluish black)
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25268...65970501oIxrFt
Age: 8 (born 22 May 2000)
Source of cat: given to me (Laku's the kitten of a former colleague's cat)

~ ~ ~

No longer with me

Whe Rehomed - with my ex
Name: Nico
Gender: neutered male
Breed: DSH mutt cat
Colour: bluish grey with white markings (throat, armpits, tummy, left
hand paws)
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21298...65970501XLIEZf
Source of cat: adopted from shelter
Age: 3,5 (born 8 Aug. 2004)

~ ~ ~

About me

Gender: Female
Your age: 40-something
Birthday month: June (end of)
Location: Finland
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 1
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 2
How long have you been with RPCA?: about 8 years (when I got Laku)
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: browsing newsgroups

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 6th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

"Yowie" wrote in message
As Kyla pointed out, its been a long time since we did a census here in
RPCA.

So, here's the census questions (all are, naturally, entirely voluntary
and you don't have to answer all of them). They're in three sections:
current cats, cats that are no longer with us, and about us.

(Please note that if you don't want to put your individual details up on
the group, but would like to have you data included in the final
compilation, you can e-mail me (remove the spam trap). I promise not to
publish any data that can be traced back to any one individual)
~~~

Current cats
For each cat, please answer:

Name: Lily
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*) female, spayed
Breed: (DSH, for example) DSH
Colour: (eg, tabby & white) calico
Age: (if unsure, indicate a 'best guess' with a star eg, "about four"
would be 4*) 3
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc Adopted from no-kill shelter

~ ~ ~

We also don't want to forget the cats that are no longer with us. Feel
free to list any other cats you have been slave to:

Whe (Rainbow Bridge, Missing in Action, Rehomed, Unknown etc)
Name: Jazz, RB
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*) male, neutered
Breed: (DSH, for example) DSH
Colour: (eg, tabby & white) gray tux
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc bought from pet store
Age if went to RB: 12
Cause of going to RB (if known): CRF

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender: female
Your age: (in 5-year bands,14 or less, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39,
etc etc) 60-65
Birthday month: April
Location (state, country): Maryland, USA
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: one
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: one at a time
How long have you been with RPCA?: 1992 (?)
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: discovered while

subscribing to newsgroups

~ ~ ~

feel free to add any other interesting data points if you like.

Eventually I will compile the results into a set of interesting
statistics (eg, something like "most people here own 2-3 cats, the most
poular cats are DSH tabbies and tuxedos, most of us are between 35 and 60,
scorpios seem to own the most cats, and most of our cats got RB because of
CRF at around the age of 16 or so. This is what I hope will be included in
FAQ looks at Mark)

Yowie

Old June 6th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
As Kyla pointed out, its been a long time since we did a census here in
RPCA.

So, here's the census questions (all are, naturally, entirely voluntary
and you don't have to answer all of them). They're in three sections:
current cats, cats that are no longer with us, and about us.

(Please note that if you don't want to put your individual details up on
the group, but would like to have you data included in the final
compilation, you can e-mail me (remove the spam trap). I promise not to
publish any data that can be traced back to any one individual)
~~~

Current cats
For each cat, please answer:

Name:
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*)
Breed: (DSH, for example)
Colour: (eg, tabby & white)
Age: (if unsure, indicate a 'best guess' with a star eg, "about four"
would be 4*)
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc

Demi, female, DLH, pure white, 10 yrs in September, 7 pounds, found at DH's
work after being driven there in the engine compartment of a co-worker's
truck at about 6 weeks old.

Jessie, female, DSH, tortoiseshell, 9 yrs in August, 7.5 pounds, found in a
dumpster outside my son's apartment at about 6 months old.

Sammy, female, DLH (though a rescue, she looks and acts like a Maine Coon),
tabby (mostly black), 4 yrs last April, 20 pounds, taken from a person who
was trying to give her to the no-kill rescue which operates out of the local
PetsMart.

Ozzy, male, DSH, orange striped tabby, 1 year, 12 pounds, adopted from the
no-kill rescue which operates out of the local PetsMart.

Archer, male, DSH, orange striped tabby, 1 year, 11 pounds, adopted from the
no-kill rescue which operates out of the local PetsMart (both he and Ozzy
were rescued by them from the Houston Humane Society with just hours left to
live before being euthanized.

~ ~ ~

We also don't want to forget the cats that are no longer with us. Feel
free to list any other cats you have been slave to:

Whe (Rainbow Bridge, Missing in Action, Rehomed, Unknown etc)
Name:
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*)
Breed: (DSH, for example)
Colour: (eg, tabby & white)
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Percy, male, Persian, beige, 15 yrs (approximated) at death, adopted from
the no-kill rescue which operates out of the local PetsMart just 6 months
prior to his death (from old age and mistreatment as a breeding male who
lived his entire life in a cage).

Bandit, female, DLH, tabby (mostly dark brown, almost black), 17 yrs at
death, ran in our front door when she was a 6 week old kitten and declared
our house as hers, died of complications from inoperable brain cancer (she
was blind the last 2 years of her life).

Hunter, male, DSH, orange striped tabby, 1 year at death, was a stray who
found the food we keep outside for strays and hardly left our upper deck
after that, probable cause of death was mycardiopathy causing a blood clot
to the lungs.

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender:
Your age: (in 5-year bands,14 or less, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39,
etc etc)
Birthday month:
Location (state, country):
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment:
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time:
How long have you been with RPCA?:
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?:

Lori, AKA "CatNipped" (DH Ben, AKA "CatNapped"), over 39 ;, born in
October, live in Houston, Texas, USA, 5 current owners - 6 before Hunter
died, RPCAer since August 2, 1995 (although it was just RPC back then).

Hugs,

CatNipped

~ ~ ~

Old June 6th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Current cats

Name: Fearless Fosdick
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: dilute calico (white with grey tabby splotches)
Age: 17
Source of cat: friend's cat who had kittens...again

Name: Princess
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: seal point siamese coloring
Age: 16
Source of cat: friend rescued a pregnant stray, we helped her home the
kittens

Name: Smokey
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: black
Age: 15
Source of cat: stowaway on the Amazing Spayed Cat Who Gave Birth

Name: Jezebel
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: tortoiseshell
Age: 14?
Source of cat: showed up on the deck and said "I'm home!"

Name: Cinder
Gender: F
Breed: DLH
Colour: gray with white chin and paws
Age: 10?
Source of cat: left behind by a roommate

Name: Miss Bitty Kitty Who Is Not Bitty Any More
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: black and white ("oreo" type)
Age: 4
Source of cat: rescue shelter

Name: Shane
Gender: M
Breed: DLH
Colour: silver
Age: 2
Source of cat: "fostered" for my son's family, who got him as a gift

Name: Emma
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: she has the most amazing coat: fur is white underneath, black on
top; with orange "highlights" on her head and a ringed tail in black and
barely orange
Age: 2
Source of cat: "fostered" for my son's family, who got her as a gift

Past cats (note, I am not including the cats who were abandoned
nearby and we kept until we found homes for them; these are the ones
who actually lived with us)

Whe RB
Name: Cleocatra
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: black
Source of cat: I don't recall; left her with my boyfriend when I graduated
college
Age if went to RB: u/k
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe RB
Name: Cleo's daughter, I don't even recall her name
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: I don't recall
Source of cat: Cleo, before I got her fixed
Age if went to RB: u/k
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe RB
Name: Belle
Gender: F
Breed: DMH
Colour: black
Source of cat: pet store
Age if went to RB: almost 22
Cause of going to RB (if known): old age, basically

Whe RB
Name: Whistle
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: calico
Source of cat: rescue group
Age if went to RB: 7 or 8
Cause of going to RB (if known): stroke

Whe RB
Name: Vinegar
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: white, one gray splotch on head
Source of cat: friend's cat who had kittens
Age if went to RB: u/k (she stayed with my ex)
Cause of going to RB (if known): u/k

Whe RB
Name: Brat
Gender: F
Breed: polydactyl DSH
Colour: tuxedo
Source of cat: rescued from abandonment (VERY young!)
Age if went to RB: un/k (she stayed with my ex)
Cause of going to RB (if known): u/k

Whe RB
Name: Squeaky
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: tuxedo
Source of cat: showed up on the deck
Age if went to RB: u/k...probably about 7 or 8
Cause of going to RB (if known): u/k (she just went walkabout and
didn't come back)

Whe RB
Name: Yoda
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: orange stripey
Source of cat: friend's cat who had kittens
Age if went to RB: u/k...he wandered off one day and never
came back, at about a year old. He was pretty dumb, though.
Cause of going to RB (if known): u/k

Whe RB
Name: Spooky, aka Amazing Spayed Cat Who Gave Birth
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: black
Source of cat: rescue
Age if went to RB: 11
Cause of going to RB (if known): complications of pancreatic tumor

Whe RB
Name: Tigger
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: grey stripey
Source of cat: stowaway of the Amazing Spayed Cat Who Gave Birth
Age if went to RB: 14
Cause of going to RB (if known): strokeWhe RB

Whe RB
Name: Trouble
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: black
Source of cat: stowaway of the Amazing Spayed Cat Who Gave Birth
Age if went to RB: 12
Cause of going to RB (if known): CRF

Whe RB
Name: Louie
Gender: M
Breed: DLH, probably mostly Maine Coon
Colour: ginger stripey
Source of cat: came with boyfriend, now hubby; believe he was a rescue
Age if went to RB: 15
Cause of going to RB (if known): aggressive cancer

About us:
Gender: F
Your age: 55-59
Birthday month: June
Location: Oregon, US
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 8
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 13
How long have you been with RPCA?: off and on, for a long time; I don't
really
remember
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: cruising through rec.pets.*
heirarchy

Deborah
slave to the gang of eight
Old June 6th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 15

Goodness, I had no idea you had so many! You have a private cat
shelter.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 6th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

bobblespin wrote:

Name: Sonny (named by previous owner because he loves the sun)
Gender: male
Breed: DSH
Colour: tuxedo black & white
Age: 6ish
Source of cat: He didn't like where he lived so he charmed us for 2
months until we let him in and eventually fed him. Found out he lived a
few houses away and his owner agreed we could have him since he
preferred us to them (they were working long hours). Turns out he was
very lonely and needs people all the time.

That's a sweet story. I'm glad his original humans were so reasonable
about it - living with you sounds like a much better deal for him!

Old June 6th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Phoenix wrote:

Current cats

Name: Fearless Fosdick
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: dilute calico (white with grey tabby splotches)
Age: 17
Source of cat: friend's cat who had kittens...again

You have a male calico? He's a rare kitty!

Old June 6th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

YIKES!

| Current cats
|
| Name: Baby Eyes
| Gender: Female
| Breed: Oscar the Grouch
| Colour: Grey with tiny white bib
| Age: 8 soon
| Source of cat: gift
|
| Name: Tommy
| Gender: Male
| Breed: DSH
| Colour: tabby
| Age: 7
| Source of cat: Neighbor thinning clowder

| Name: Eli
| Gender: Male
| Breed: DSH
| Colour: BLACK
| Age: 7 soon
| Source of cat: neighbourhood stray

| Name: Abelard
| Gender: Male
| Breed: Abyssinian
| Colour: red
| Age: 6 soon
| Source of cat: gift/castoff from breeder

| Name: Billy
| Gender: Male
| Breed: MC*
| Colour: Gorgeous silver tabby
| Age: 4*
| Source of cat: Dumped with S. Riddles

| Name: Lily
| Gender: Female
| Breed: MC*
| Colour: Fluffy calico-ish
| Age: 4*
| Source of cat: Dumped with S. Riddles

| Name: Beatrice
| Gender: Female
| Breed: DLH
| Colour: Orange tabby
| Age: 3
| Source of cat: Rescued from dangerous farm

| Name: Buzzy
| Gender: Male
| Breed: unknown
| Colour: Mackerel tabby/white
| Age: 11 months
| Source of cat: neighbourhood stray

| Name: Annabelle
| Gender: Female
| Breed: DSH
| Colour: Tuxedo
| Age: 10 months
| Source of cat: Dumped in yard, starving
| ~ ~ ~

| Gender: Female*
| Your age: 55
| Birthday month: May
| Location: Missouri USA
| Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 9
| Maximum number of cats at one time: 17 (including 2 litters)
| How long have you been with RPCA?: 5 years
| How did you find RPCA?: can't remember
| ~ ~ ~

RB kitties:
Thunder I, DSH tabby/white male - killed by car 1958
Thunder II, DSH tabby/white male - killed by car 1960
Lightning, DSH tabby/white male - disappeared 1967
Groucho, DSH, tuxedo male - disappeared 1968
Baldwin, DSH tabby female - rehomed 1969
Carl, DSH orange tabby male - foundling 1972, rehomed 1974
Eric, DSH spotty calico male - foundling 1972, disappeared 1974
Minette, DHS tabby/white female - cause unknown 1988, obtained from SPCA
shelter 1980 in Boston when she was 3-4 months old
Minu, DSH black male - source forgotten, killed by car 1981
Grayson, DSH gray male - foundling 1985, rehomed 1987
Scooter, DSH calico female - gift from neighbor, vanished 1990
Sandy, DSH orange tabby male - vanished 1990 (son of Cindy who belonged to a
neighbor)
Cindy, DSH calico female - vanished 1991(taken in, pregnant, when former
slave became gravely ill)
Yogi, DSH black male - vanished 1991(taken in when former slave became
gravely ill)
Egypt, DSH black male - vanished 1993 (dumped in yard, 1991)
Spider, DLH mackerel tabby female - vanished 1993 (starving feral, 1989)
O'lady, DSH orange tabby female - rehomed 1994 (rescued from garbage can in
front of a Safeway store)
Zeke, DSH mackerel tabby male - vanished 1990 (son of Spider)
Bunny, DSH calico female - vanished 1992 (daughter of Spider)
Tippy, DSH tabby female - vanished 1991(daughter of Spider)
Graybar, DSH tabby male - vanished 1996 (rescued from dumpster in Flagstaff,
1993)
Whitefoot, DLH tuxedo male - illness 2000 (son of Tippy)
Nia, DLH calico female - vanished 1996 (daughter of Tippy)
Cotton, MC white male - vanished 1999 (gift from friend)
Safford, MC tabby male - killed by car 2000 (brother of Cotton)
Miss Kitty, DSH tabby/white female - illness 2000 (dumped on me, 1999)

(all the "vanished" cats under the --------- probably went to coyotes)