Burmese cat wants to eat gravel

Old May 1st 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Default Burmese cat wants to eat gravel

My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
Old May 1st 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Netmask" wrote in message
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Keep him in the house, and take him to a vet. And do a "Google" search on
"pica in cats."

Old May 1st 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

cybercat wrote:
"Netmask" wrote in message
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Keep him in the house, and take him to a vet. And do a "Google" search on
"pica in cats."

He has been to the vet on and off for the past 4 weeks. Had an X-ray of
head and neck and is having a CT scan on Monday. Currently on an anti
biotic and a steroid. He has a nasal discharge that sets like concrete
around his nostrils. I wipe them clean and put him in the bathroom for
around an hour per day with high humidity. He is eating very well
Science diet AD. Still haven't got a definite analysis. Today was the
first sunny day in Sydney for about a week so I popped him out in the
sun, shady area around the swimming pool which has a blue metal walk
around surround - his favourite place and that's when i noticed the odd
behaviour.

He has been quite healthy during his life notwithstanding his FIV+
status. No other cats and the backyard has 2.5 metre brick walls so no
visitors!
Old May 1st 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Ping Phil ... Burmese cat wants to eat gravel

"Netmask" wrote

He has been to the vet on and off for the past 4 weeks. Had an X-ray of
head and neck and is having a CT scan on Monday. Currently on an anti
biotic and a steroid. He has a nasal discharge that sets like concrete
around his nostrils. I wipe them clean and put him in the bathroom for
around an hour per day with high humidity. He is eating very well Science
diet AD.

If this is dry food, please consider at least supplementing his diet with
canned. There are many reasons for this, the best being more protein and
more moisture. I love SD, don't get me wrong--I had a cat live to be very
old on it. But since I switched my most recent cats to all-canned diet the
positive change was amazing and wonderful to see. Shinier coats, brighter
eyes, less crusty eye stuff, more energy, and much more enthusiasm at meal
time.

Still haven't got a definite analysis. Today was the
first sunny day in Sydney for about a week so I popped him out in the sun,
shady area around the swimming pool which has a blue metal walk around
surround - his favourite place and that's when i noticed the odd
behaviour.

He has been quite healthy during his life notwithstanding his FIV+ status.
No other cats and the backyard has 2.5 metre brick walls so no visitors!

He sounds like a lucky boy! I can tell you really care for him and take good
care of him. We have a great resource here--Phil--who will hopefully weigh
in with some helpful information. Generally pica is caused by some sort of
dietary deficiency, I think? Wish I could help more. I hope he improves.

Old May 1st 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gloria

I'd ask the vet and /or write (or call) to this address (e-mail).......a
vet from there will e-mail you back. Hope your cat will be ok. Keep us
posted how it's doing.

Address:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/General.cfm?gid=314

Old May 8th 09, 10:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Netmask wrote:
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed
away. I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was
a very sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional
dog. The last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the
brain and possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I
will bury him next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been
my constant companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would
outlive me. Life goes on.....
Old May 8th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Netmask" wrote in message
Netmask wrote:
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away.
I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was a very
sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional dog. The
last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the brain and
possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I will bury him
next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been my constant
companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would outlive me.
Life goes on.....

Oh I am so very sorry. I just lost a cat who lived to 14 as well--it is not
long enough when we love them so much. You gave him the very best of care,
and more love than any cat might expect. I am glad his passing was swift and
relatively painless, and that you were not left with the decision of whether
or not to put him out of his misery or allow him to linger. I guess the
brain cancer may have given him the urge to eat the gravel. I lost a nephew
to this terrible disease.

Old May 9th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask

Netmask wrote:
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Many thanks for the kind words - I have buried him in the front garden
opposite Monki his great uncle. The property has been in the family for
3 generations so I suspect Max will sleep in peace for sometime. It is
so hard to say goodbye with all the reminders around the house and after
just one night everything is so quiet and empty even though I'm on a
busy road.
Old May 9th 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Netmask" wrote in message
Netmask wrote:
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Many thanks for the kind words - I have buried him in the front garden
opposite Monki his great uncle. The property has been in the family for 3
generations so I suspect Max will sleep in peace for sometime. It is so
hard to say goodbye with all the reminders around the house and after just
one night everything is so quiet and empty even though I'm on a busy road.

Wish you had someone to pick up all the toys and such for you. I'm so sorry
you are hurting. Love leaves a big hole. Hope you can open your heart to
another kitty who needs you, maybe a rescue? An older adult? Nobody wants
them and so many are so sweet.

FEMALE BURMESE WILL ONLY ONE WET BRAND AND FLAVOR mamasan via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 4 January 24th 07 06:25 AM
Litter Box Question (Burmese) Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 9 December 6th 04 06:34 PM
Burmese Cats Alan Hannas Cats - misc 8 December 12th 03 09:34 PM
Burmese and heart problems Sarah Cat anecdotes 5 September 22nd 03 12:36 AM
Burmese and heart problems Sarah Cat health & behaviour 6 September 21st 03 05:38 AM