The diffiiculty with cold weather

Old November 12th 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default The diffiiculty with cold weather

Is that instead of going to his bedroom now, Boyfie likes to be on my knee
all the time. The problem with that is I am getting up all the time to
fiddle with my woodburner. Anyone who thinks you can put a few logs on the
woodburner and leave it for hours has another think coming. it takes 4
hours to heat the room if you tend it carefully.

The poor lad cannot sit on my knee without kneading for a few minutes and he
can't be there for long until I am up again either tending the fire or
earlier in the morning trying to use an axe to chop wood, which is very
difficult atm with my hand & arm op.

Old November 13th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Is that instead of going to his bedroom now, Boyfie likes to be on my knee
all the time. The problem with that is I am getting up all the time to
fiddle with my woodburner. Anyone who thinks you can put a few logs on the
woodburner and leave it for hours has another think coming. it takes 4
hours to heat the room if you tend it carefully.

The poor lad cannot sit on my knee without kneading for a few minutes and he
can't be there for long until I am up again either tending the fire or
earlier in the morning trying to use an axe to chop wood, which is very
difficult atm with my hand & arm op.

Does he have a comfortable place to lie down and snooze near the woodburner?

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old November 13th 12, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Does he have a comfortable place to lie down and snooze near the
woodburner?

Yes, of course!!

Unlike KFC who flattened herself on the rug in front of the woodburner
when it was up and going, Boyfie ignores it.
He doesn't seem to know how comfortable that might be.
He never lies on a rug in front of either of the two fires I have.

Old November 13th 12, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Is that instead of going to his bedroom now, Boyfie likes to be on my
knee
all the time. The problem with that is I am getting up all the time to
fiddle with my woodburner. Anyone who thinks you can put a few logs on
the
woodburner and leave it for hours has another think coming. it takes
4
hours to heat the room if you tend it carefully.

The poor lad cannot sit on my knee without kneading for a few minutes
and he
can't be there for long until I am up again either tending the fire or
earlier in the morning trying to use an axe to chop wood, which is very
difficult atm with my hand & arm op.

Does he have a comfortable place to lie down and snooze near the
woodburner?

Yes, he has. Of course. He has his own chair, and his own bedroom with a
13 tog duvet. Why do you ask? He does have to survive the night with no
heat though. We do it together.. Me with my 15 tog and himself under his
13. Both very warm. Until we get up - then it's a bit nippy.

I thought my thermometer was stuck, upstairs at 8C , I thought it wasn't
working so I put my finger on the bulb and it crept up to 10 so it was
working after all. A rough estimate for 8 is 46F.
So I took it from my landing and put it in my bathroom in the hope the
temperature would improve. I left it for an hour and and it didn't. It was
still 8C. that's quite nippy to have a bath or shower.

Old November 13th 12, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Does he have a comfortable place to lie down and snooze near the
woodburner?

Yes, he has. Of course. He has his own chair, and his own bedroom with a
13 tog duvet. Why do you ask?

Because he seems to gravitate to you for heat. Which I realize is pleasant
some of the time, but since you sometimes might like to have a break from
him occasionally, I thought he might like an alternative. Hmm... sounds like
he already has one, but he doesn't care about anything except Mom's knee.

(Which reminds me - when you say that Boyfie likes to lie on your knee,
I have this very literal (and comical) picture of him trying to seat
himself on your actual knee. I guess if you've put your feet up, so that
your legs are completely horizontal, he could lie on your knee. But if you're
sitting in a chair with feet on the floor, how does that work? How does
he balance?? Or is "knee" just idiomatic for "lap"? Is this one of those
different-sides-of-the-pond things?)

Usually when I turn on the heat in the living room (I have baseboards in
3 rooms and can turn them on or off separately), Roxy affixes herself to
the back of the couch and hangs her head over the edge, so she can catch
every single wave of heat wafting up from the baseboard. But then sometimes,
even though the electric heater is warmer, she prefers to come and lie on
me. The heater doesn't pet her and tell her she's the best girlkitty in
the world. Sometimes Mom is the best heat source around.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old November 13th 12, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Amber has her window seat with a heating pad. She spends most of the
time there except for the nights she sleeps on my bed (electric
blanket). Tiger is a Maine Coon so his long hair keeps him warm. He
has a window seat (also with a heating pad) but he doesn't use it. The
big room is warm during the day but I turn the furnace off at night
unless the temp is below 20 degrees F.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old November 13th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie[_3_]

On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:05:48 PM UTC-5, Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

[...]

Wish I still have Rusty to sit on my lap. I can teach him to sit on my
sore knees with my feet up on a chair. Sure that will beat having a heating pad
on my knees. He used to sit on my sore hip when I was lying sideway on the coach. That felt so good. -- Winnie

Old November 13th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie[_3_]

On Monday, November 12, 2012 8:54:43 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Wow! 8C is cold for indoors. I don't let my home get to single digit C while
I dress warmly. But I do turn off the heater when I go to bed. Figure I don't
need it while sleeping under a warm blanket and a heating pad on me.
Rusty (RB) didn't seem to mind the cold until his last year. By then he was just skin and bones and like to sit on the heating duct. -- Winnie
Old November 13th 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie[_3_]

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:55:03 AM UTC-5, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Amber has her window seat with a heating pad. She spends most of the

time there except for the nights she sleeps on my bed (electric

blanket). Tiger is a Maine Coon so his long hair keeps him warm. He

has a window seat (also with a heating pad) but he doesn't use it. The

big room is warm during the day but I turn the furnace off at night

unless the temp is below 20 degrees F.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rusty (RB) had a window hammock that sat right over the heat outlet. He loved
it there and spent long hours snoozing there or watching me on the computer..
Plus he had a great view of the outdoors.
I miss his snoring on the hammock. -- Winnie
Old November 14th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Does he have a comfortable place to lie down and snooze near the
woodburner?

Yes, he has. Of course. He has his own chair, and his own bedroom
with a
13 tog duvet. Why do you ask?

Because he seems to gravitate to you for heat. Which I realize is pleasant
some of the time, but since you sometimes might like to have a break from
him occasionally, I thought he might like an alternative. Hmm... sounds
like
he already has one, but he doesn't care about anything except Mom's knee.

I would quite like a break from him sometimes - as much as I love him. He's
quite heavy but worse than that I don't like disturbing him when he's
asleep.

(Which reminds me - when you say that Boyfie likes to lie on your knee,
I have this very literal (and comical) picture of him trying to seat
himself on your actual knee. I guess if you've put your feet up, so that
your legs are completely horizontal, he could lie on your knee. But if
you're
sitting in a chair with feet on the floor, how does that work? How does
he balance?? Or is "knee" just idiomatic for "lap"? Is this one of those
different-sides-of-the-pond things?)

Yes, it must be one of the different side of the pond things. The same as
lap. I put a blanket over my knees to keep warm when I sit in my armchair
and he's on me in a few seconds ;-) The blanket also helps protect me from
his kneading which seems to be absolutely essential to him before he can
settle down.

Usually when I turn on the heat in the living room (I have baseboards in
3 rooms and can turn them on or off separately), Roxy affixes herself to
the back of the couch and hangs her head over the edge, so she can catch
every single wave of heat wafting up from the baseboard. But then
sometimes,
even though the electric heater is warmer, she prefers to come and lie on
me. The heater doesn't pet her and tell her she's the best girlkitty in
the world. Sometimes Mom is the best heat source around.

I think, even though it would be warmer in front of the woodburner, or the
gas fire in the kitchen, once he realised
I was a kind meowmie who would never frighten or harm him (which took
literally years) he began to love me so much that he wanted to be on my lap
as much as possible.
That's my theory, anyway. I could test this theory by putting the electric
blanket on 24/7 on his bed upstairs, of course.
It's one of those that is safe to sleep on when it's on. I sleep in the
spare bedroom sometimes "to keep the bed aired" and I left it on by mistake.
I finally wondered why Boyfie was always in his bedroom and discovered the
electric blanket had been on for weeks.

Tweed