I Believe

Old October 22nd 05, 05:53 AM
Singh

Default I Believe

Long ago, attending the local LDS church, there was a program where the
Young Women's group had to carry around the sugar-sacks with little doll
heads glued to them, as a similar experiment. What I found offensive was
that the girls were MADE to shlep them around; for the Young Men it was
optional! One girl "adopted out" her sugar-sack, which caused an uproar in
the church, but she pointed out that it was her choice and that one thing
the LDS is big on is the doctrine of free agency.

Blessed be,
Baha

jmcquown wrote in message
Singh wrote:
Some of our schools have them; I think we call it "Baby
Think-it-Over." And you're right, I think it should be compulsory and
not a home-ec elective. The problem is that Baby Think-it-Over is
several hundred dollars, and the school systems that need it most are
the ones who can least afford it.

Blessed be,
Baha

Huh. When the idea was first conceived (no pun intended) they gave the
young teens a 10 lb. bag of flour or sugar (I think flour was cheaper back
then) and made them carry them around in blankies. They could NOT go out
with their friends and leave the "baby"; they had to arrange for a
baby-sitter. They were given a feeding schedule including getting up

during
the night. They had to stop and "change diapers" a specified number of
times per day and night. Granted, it's not exactly the same thing as

those
"baby dolls" they use now which probably DO cost a lot of money. But the
idea was sound. You can bet they got tired of hauling a 10 lb. bag of

flour
around all day

Jill

meee wrote in message

I also believe that child-rearing should be a mandatory program in
high school, perhaps as a part of the required health class; and
like health class, that one cannot graduate without passing such a
course.

Blessed be,
Baha

Interestingly enough, in queensland, we have this thing where in
grade 10 home ec wehad to take an electronic baby home, it cries at
random times, and you have to change/feed/cuddle until it stops, you
can't tell which you have to do, so you do everything til it stops.
you also have to support the head, it records how many mistakes you
make and you got 'graded' for it...you can't turn it off and it
cries at night too! It was a very good idea, but should be
compulsory, and not just for home ec students. they have to keep the
'baby' for about a week, and take it everywhere with them.

Old October 22nd 05, 11:26 PM
Pamela Shirk

Default I Believe in Supernanny

wrote in message
oups.com...

My dad told me once that if I my kids liked me all the time, I was
doing something wrong.
It's actually true. You can't be your kid's best friend. They don't
need a 40-year-old best friend. Your job is to teach them and love
them, not to get them to like you.

I like your dad. I wish that someone would get around to teaching parents
that they can't have it both ways. A teacher's life would be much easier.
My kids were raised to know that if they told the truth, they'd get into
trouble, but if they lied the trouble would be much worse. They got tired
of me telling them that I am their mother, not their friend. and yes, there
are times when they've all hated my guts. But they all know that Mom, and
Dad, are there for them and will do what they can to help.

Pam S.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:00 AM
Jo Firey

"Pamela Shirk" wrote in message
hlink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

My dad told me once that if I my kids liked me all the time, I was
doing something wrong.
It's actually true. You can't be your kid's best friend. They don't
need a 40-year-old best friend. Your job is to teach them and love
them, not to get them to like you.

I like your dad. I wish that someone would get around to teaching parents
that they can't have it both ways. A teacher's life would be much easier.
My kids were raised to know that if they told the truth, they'd get into
trouble, but if they lied the trouble would be much worse. They got tired
of me telling them that I am their mother, not their friend. and yes,
there are times when they've all hated my guts. But they all know that
Mom, and Dad, are there for them and will do what they can to help.

Pam S.

One of the hardest things to watch when my brother died, was the effect on
his son. The two of them were so close, that Mickey not only lost his
father he lost his best friend. He really didn't have anyone close to help
him through things.

Jo