Oh oh, Espy has blue things in his ear

Old June 7th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Oh oh, Espy has blue things in his ear

He's had some sort of stuff in his left ear before. A few months back
the vet prescribed a combination antibiotic, antifungal, and steroid
drops. After a week or so it got better. But lately it seemed to come
back so I took a good look the other day and saw some blackish stuff
and what appeared to be, well, blackheads but actually bluish. Blue
bumps.

I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet noticed that there also
seems to be one in his right ear. The vet says that he has seen them
before but doesn't know what they are! He says that you can't remove
them from the ear because there is no skin to work with, to sew back
up. So it isn't easy to biopsy (I hate that word).

He said not to worry, and he was going to a vet conference the next
day (that would be today) and would discuss it with the other vets.
I'm to call on Friday to find out what is up.

I am concerned of course, as Espy is my favorite. He's the smart one
and the ringleader if there is to be trouble. He's now 10 years old
so no spring chicken any more; it's hard to believe that I've had him
so long. Well, hopefully there is nothing major going on, I suppose if
it was something bad then more would be known about it. Looking up
"blue bumps in cats ear" doesn't turn up too much.
Old June 7th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 06/07/2012 07:52 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

I'm just guessing: blood blisters from scratching. We are sending best
wishes and purrs for it to be diagnosed as a minor thing. MLB
Old June 7th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

dgk wrote:
[...]

Sending purrs that it turns out to be nothing serious.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old June 7th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

Purrs and prayers are on the way. Let us know if you find out anything.

Joy

Old June 7th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

As your vet told you not to worry, try not to - I know it's almost
impossible! but as you say, if there was any sinister about blue blackheads
in cat's ears, I'm fairly certain your vet would know and he is going to ask
to ask colleagues at the conference to be sure.
Hope you get some good news from your vet tomorrow.

Tweed

Old June 8th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:05:09 -0600, MLB wrote:

[...]

I spoke to the vet and that was one of the guesses. Another was
possibly some granuloma thing that wasn't a cancer. They don't really
know but suggested waiting to see if it bothered him, so far it
doesn't seem to. On my own I found that it could be a hemangiosarcoma,
which would be very bad since there would be no way to remove it:
"Blue to reddish black nodule; usually on ears, head, legs, groin, and
axillae; often ulcerate."

No sign of ulceration though. Espy just marched in here and is sitting
between me and the monitor. He just scratched that ear a few times and
rubbed it. Maybe it is bothering him. I really don't like this but of
course there isn't much I can do about it. Just wait and see.
Old June 9th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 06/08/2012 04:21 PM, dgk wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:05:09 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Could he have had flea oor mosquito bites on his ear? MLB
Old June 11th 12, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:39:25 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article , dgk
wrote:
[...]

Sootie sometimes scratches her ears and loves to have them rubbed. Might
you be watching him more closely than usual and normally if he did this
you wouldn't even register it as abnormal?

Purrs for it to nothing serious.

Judith

Purrs being sent

Exactly, every time he scratches I stare at him. It might be nothing
more than normal. The other cats scratch all the time.
Old June 11th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:24:46 -0600, MLB wrote:

[...]

We have a million of them in my little backyard. They're mostly the
Tiger variety which don't seem to cause too much itching though but I
do sometimes see them around the cats. I don't know if it really looks
like mosquito bites though; they are still in the same place and it's
been a few days since I first saw them.