Where do you feed your cats? Do they notice/care?

Old May 9th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Where do you feed your cats? Do they notice/care?

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
I've heard it said that cats do NOT like to be fed too close to their
litterbox... but I honestly have to say that none of ours care a jot!
As long as that food dispenser and water fountain are full and
relatively clean, they don't care WHERE they are!

If I'm giving them special treats they get them out in the living room
in three seperate bowls, and the Kitten Kibble lives on the dresser in
the craftroom because it's the only place that discourages the greedy
monsters from eating it all! But the general food and water dispensers
are on a mat in the bathroom about a foot away from the litterbox, and
it doesn't seem to affect how much/when they eat.

I have one litterbox in a small bedroom that has been converted to
"multi-purpose" use (everything "except" a bedroom -- the room where I do
oil painting, have a piece of exercise equipment, and a TV). The other
litterbox is in a large walk-in closet inside the computer room. Food
dishes and one water bowl are in the kitchen. The second water bowl is in
the computer room (where I spent a great deal of my time, and the cats are
almost always in there with me).

MaryL

Old May 9th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ripley and Cav eat together, they have a couple of dishes and a water bowl
near the back door in the kitchen. If I start dishing up dinner when Ripley
is asleep, Cav runs around the house looking for him, vocalising loudly, to
tell him that the food is out.

Jeanette

Old May 9th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jeanette" wrote in message
o.uk...
Ripley and Cav eat together, they have a couple of dishes and a water bowl
near the back door in the kitchen. If I start dishing up dinner when
Ripley
is asleep, Cav runs around the house looking for him, vocalising loudly,
tell him that the food is out.

Jeanette

Where is your litterbox, near their feeding place? this is what we are
discussing in this thread, whether it matters to your cat if the food is
near the litter box.

Tweed

Old May 9th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 09 May 2006 15:30:46 +0000, Jeanette wrote:

Ripley and Cav eat together, they have a couple of dishes and a water bowl
near the back door in the kitchen. If I start dishing up dinner when Ripley
is asleep, Cav runs around the house looking for him, vocalising loudly, to
tell him that the food is out.

That's extremely cute!

Old May 10th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I've heard it said that cats do NOT like to be fed too close to their
litterbox... but I honestly have to say that none of ours care a jot!
As long as that food dispenser and water fountain are full and
relatively clean, they don't care WHERE they are!

I've never thought about it, just instinctively put the litterboxes as
far away from the food as possible. In this flat, I've made the sauna
into the cats' room - the litterboxes are there, and Miranda's bed that
she got for Xmas from my niece, and the cats like to just lounge on the
wooden benches. Right outside the sauna is the bathroom, where I have a
big bowl of water on the floor for them.

I have to feed them in different places; Caliban eats on the floor in
the hallway while Miranda gets her food by special delivery on top of a
cupboard. Special delivery means I can't leave it out, or Caliban scarfs
it down. I have to lift the plate on top of the fridge when Miranda
isn't eating. When she wants a nibble, she jumps onto the cupboard, and
if I don't notice her immediately, she tells me in no uncertain terms,
'I WANT FOOD NOW, SLAVE!'

Old May 10th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I've heard it said that cats do NOT like to be fed too close to their
litterbox... but I honestly have to say that none of ours care a jot!
As long as that food dispenser and water fountain are full and
relatively clean, they don't care WHERE they are!

Persia only cares about WHEN Her food bowl is in the kitchen entry way
and her fountain is in my bedroom. Her litter box is at the end of the hall
by the 2nd bathroom, no where near either food or water.

Jill

Old May 11th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 08 May 2006 09:50:30 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

I've heard it said that cats do NOT like to be fed too close to their
litterbox... but I honestly have to say that none of ours care a jot!
As long as that food dispenser and water fountain are full and
relatively clean, they don't care WHERE they are!

If I'm giving them special treats they get them out in the living room
in three seperate bowls, and the Kitten Kibble lives on the dresser in
the craftroom because it's the only place that discourages the greedy
monsters from eating it all! But the general food and water dispensers
are on a mat in the bathroom about a foot away from the litterbox, and
it doesn't seem to affect how much/when they eat.

Oh well... I HAD to put the litterbox in there because I sure didn't
want it in the livingroom or the bedroom, and they're big
litter-scratchers so when the box was in our bathroom they left bits
of feline pine underfoot. Owie. And I do NOT want to feed them in the
kitchen - they're not supposed to be in the kitchen AT ALL, it's the
only rule that I strictly enforce - our kitchen is far too small and
the last thing I want is to trip over them while I'm carrying a
hot/full pan of food. It would be a disaster for all parties. And I
don't want to feed them in the bedroom becuase they make too much mess
(not to mention coming in and making a huge racket at three in the
morning when they want a snack!) So there isn't anywhere else TO feed
them in the apartment... they don't seem to mind.
Old May 11th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
snipped
.. And I do NOT want to feed them in the
kitchen - they're not supposed to be in the kitchen AT ALL, it's the
only rule that I strictly enforce - our kitchen is far too small and
the last thing I want is to trip over them while I'm carrying a
hot/full pan of food. It would be a disaster for all parties.

How do you enforce that rule? No-cats-in-the-kitchen-while-cooking is a
good rule, but I've never had much luck with any rules around here.

Sherry

Old May 11th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
ups.com...

How do you enforce that rule? No-cats-in-the-kitchen-while-cooking is a
good rule, but I've never had much luck with any rules around here.

Sherry

Same here. But whenever I caught Rusty in the kitchen, I pointed my finger
and
say 'Out', and he would leave the kitchen. At one time, I considered
putting doors
to my kitchen. But they may prove useless against a determined Rusty. He can
open doors except for the ones with door knobs or heavy glass doors like the
one
to his room.

Winnie

Old May 11th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
Same here. But whenever I caught Rusty in the kitchen, I pointed my finger
and
say 'Out', and he would leave the kitchen. At one time, I considered
putting doors
to my kitchen. But they may prove useless against a determined Rusty. He can
open doors except for the ones with door knobs or heavy glass doors like the
one
to his room.

Winnie

Everytime I try to enforce a "rule" it turns out to be a big joke.
Latest rule was "no cats on the quilting frame." To date, I have used
two full lint-rollers to get the cat hair off the quilt.
Yoda opens doors, too! He's a tenacious little bugger about it too;
sometimes he'll spend a *long long* time trying to get one open.

Sherry