Update on Blocked Cat

Old May 24th 05, 12:43 AM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Ray sounds like a troll to me.

Yep. A troll with a bone to pick with Phil. A troll who
lives in Massachusetts.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 24th 05, 02:10 AM
Ray

Phil didn't give me direct advice. But I took his advice and fed my cat
high quality canned food. So I did and my cat got run over by an SUV.
So now she's dead.

Mary wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message
ups.com...
I took Phil's advice regarding my cat's diet and now she's dead.

Lets have some specifics, Ray. Or direct us to the thread, then tell

us what
happened when you followed Phil's advice. Are you saying, as you seem

to be,
that you think it was Phil's advice that resulted in the death of

your cat?

If this is true, you owe it to everyone here to tell us the

specifics. Phil
would certainly want to know if he recommended the wrong thing to

you, as
dedicated as he is to the welfare of cats.

wrote:
John Ross Mc Master wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:55:33 -0400, "Phil P."

wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in

message

The cause of the blockage is the cat's body's inabilty to

handle
ash
(magnesium and the like) in food.

There is no 'ash' in cat food- 'ash' is an analysis of the

mineral
content-
not an ingredient- that's why its listed in the Guaranteed

Analysis
and not
in the ingredients list. "Ash" is determined by burning an

aliquot
of the
diet for 2 hours at 600*C and weighing the residue. "Ash" is
actually all
the noncombustible components of the diet- which includes most

of
the
mineral content- without regard to any specific element. The

'ash'
analysis
does not correlate to the magnesium content of the diet.

Also, struvite is a function of urine pH not magnesium. At

urine
pH
of 6.1
or less struvite won't form regardless of the amount of

magnesium
in
the
diet. Magnesium content becomes important only when urine pH

rises
above
6.2. Urine pH determines *if* struvite will form; the

magnesium
content
determines *how much* struvite will form.

Phil

My vet once told me to get low ash magnesium restricted cat

food
for
male cat who had a urinary tract blockage operation. I think

I'll
trust the vet and not you.

Coming in late on this thread--but I just wanted to say, please

don't
make the same mistake I did, in thinking "DVM" means they're
automatically the all-knowing, failproof savior of your cat's

health.
Vets make mistakes. And there are good vets, and bad vets. Some

vets
are very knowledgeable livestock, dogs, but not cats. And

some
don't know squat **** about nutrition.
Cropping a long story short that I've told too many times

already, my
cat would have died if it hadn't been for Phil convincing me the

"cow
vet" (that's one of the nicer adjectives he used) was killing my

cat.
actually printed out the e-mails Phil sent, and took them to

another
vet to see what he'd say. I actually learned more in that vet

visit
than I ever had. I was too passive about the cat's care before.
You don't have to take Phil's word, or Megan's, or anybody's

here, as
the gospel either. But use it to arm yourself with questions for

YOUR
vet. Take the knowledge you can glean here, and further research
YOURSELF.
Don't be so close-minded about anonymous laymen cat people that

you
blow off what he's saying. Try to *prove* him wrong by research.

think you'll be surprised, and your cat will benefit.

Sherry

Old May 24th 05, 02:12 AM
Ray

How do you know I am really in Mass? Yes, the server might be there but
I don't have to be in the same state as the server, do I?

Old May 24th 05, 02:14 AM
Ray

Why are you concerned that I'm a troll? The so-called discussion on
this thread (and many other threads) has degenerated into name-calling
so I figured might as well have some fun.

Old May 24th 05, 02:54 AM
Mary

"Ray" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why are you concerned that I'm a troll? The so-called discussion on
this thread (and many other threads) has degenerated into name-calling
so I figured might as well have some fun.

As long as you're having a good time. Meanwhile, whose post are you
responding to?

Old May 24th 05, 02:58 AM
Mary

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you know I am really in Mass? Yes, the server might be there but
I don't have to be in the same state as the server, do I?

You don't have to be in the same state but you probably are, and you are at
least near by. You're not south of Maryland or west of Pennsylvania, that's
for sure. Your IP narrows things down quite a bit.

I don't really care. You trolled the group and got the
response you expected, so good for you.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Back - and Mikey update (long) LOL Cat anecdotes 60 June 14th 04 05:55 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM