The cat is NOT AMUSED

Old August 7th 05, 12:03 AM
animzmirot

Default The cat is NOT AMUSED

We're fostering a puppy for a while for an agency that brings puppies up
north for adoption events. We brought the puppy home and Ringo went
ballistic. OK, his home has been invaded by aliens, I get that. But geesh,
couldn't he even try to get along? The first half hour was pretty hairy,
with hissing and growling and that meow we all know too well. Poor puppy was
scared to death. Then the cat let the dog know that he was not welcome, but
it took too much energy to stay on red alert. The puppy calmed down and
started wandering the bottom floor. She doesn't know how to do stairs yet,
so the cat is able to have an entire floor to himself, but he chooses to lay
down within 5 feet of the puppy's crate, just to ensure the puppy knows who
is boss.

My question is, how long does it take for a dog and a not all that friendly
or kind cat to make peace and get along. I'm not expecting snuggles and
valentines, but peaceful coexistance. Will it take days? Hours? Months? Will
it ever happen?

Marjorie

Old August 7th 05, 12:38 AM
animzmirot

One more comment: I bought the cat Temptations upon the recommendation of
this newsgroup and even while he was hissing and growling, he was snacking
on them. They must be kitty crack.

Old August 7th 05, 03:10 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:03:22 -0400, "animzmirot"
wrote:

She doesn't know how to do stairs yet,
so the cat is able to have an entire floor to himself, but he chooses to lay
down within 5 feet of the puppy's crate, just to ensure the puppy knows who
is boss.

No, I don't think that's it. I think you better plan on keeping your
cat's new puppy.

Charlie

Old August 7th 05, 06:49 AM
IBen Getiner

animzmirot wrote:
[...]

You should have got an aggressive little dog, Marge.. Not a wimpy one.
Then the shoe would now be on the other foot. It would soon become your
dog's home, and it would be your cat who would have to do the
adjusting. And that's the best way, since a dog should rule the roost
anyhow. Who knows what will happen now? Don't know what to tell you...

IBen

Old August 7th 05, 11:11 AM
Hailey

animzmirot wrote:
One more comment: I bought the cat Temptations upon the recommendation of
this newsgroup and even while he was hissing and growling, he was snacking
on them. They must be kitty crack.

I am LMBO! they are kitty crack. Tucker lives for them. And he won't eat
ANYthing! lol
The only other one he likes are Aqauri-yums.

I am still giggling at the thought of your kitty laying in front of the
pup's crate to show him who was boss! I can so see this!
hehe
Good luck!

Hailey
Old August 7th 05, 07:08 PM
animzmirot

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
oups.com...

animzmirot wrote:
[...]

The puppy is a mastiff. They're pretty aggressive as a breed. She's been in
a cage for the past 14 days in quarantine and she's just happy to be loose.

Today is going a bit better. We've got a semi-peaceful co-existance. The
puppy is dying to play with the cat, the cat growls and hisses at the puppy,
but no more swiping. I'm thinking this is progress. They can now be in the
same room as long as the cat is UP on the table and the dog is DOWN on the
floor. The cat still feels that it is within his right to block the dog from
the crate at all costs.

And they are both underfoot most of the time.

Marjorie

IBen

Old August 8th 05, 05:07 PM
Calvin Rice

I've found that it can take cats days or weeks to accept and
put up with a new tiny kitten. One two year old cat acted
frightened of an 8 week old kitten, and would take off
running away when he saw it. But he kept coming back,
fascinated, and eventually they became good friends.

Similarly with another such combination. The older cat
didn't run away, but he showed no interest for three weeks
or so in a new 6 week old kitten. They too became close
eventually.

My 8 year old female doesn't like any 4-legger very much. But
she puts up with them as long as they don't get too close.

I can hardly imagine how long it would take cats to accept
puppies.

-cr

Old August 8th 05, 10:26 PM
coorslte

animzmirot wrote:
[...]

I don't think there is a set period as all pets are different.

when we brought our last cat (Morrison) home, the youngest cat (Milo)
hated Morrison. He followed him around for two days to make sure he
did not get into his stuff. He wouldn't even sleep becauce he could
not keep his eye on Morrison. Finally after two days, he was so tired
he was bumping into things and if he stopped, he would doze off.
Finally he slept (passed out next to my Wife's office chair) and when he
woke up, Morrison was sleeping next to him. They have been best
buddies since.