Ping Lorelei...

Old December 2nd 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Ping Lorelei...

dgk wrote:

You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other. My
favorite cat is Espy, but I can never pick him up. Well, I can, but he
squirms and tries to get away so I never hold him very long and
usually don't even try.

My cats don't like to be picked up. Roxy puts her paws on my chest and
pushes back, staring at me in shock and horror. And I wouldn't even
consider trying to pick Licky up just for cuddling. I've only ever
picked him up to take him someplace he doesn't want to go, like to
the vet. It's not a happy experience for him, so why ruin a sweet
moment by picking him up and freaking him out?

Smudge used to be OK with letting me pick her up, and would cuddle with
me for a minute or so, but then want to be put back down. She's a little
less tolerant of that now, although if I pick her up and carry her to my
place so I can give her some food, she allows that without much complaint.

So none of my cats enjoy being picked up and held just for its own sake.
But they're all affectionate, cuddly cats, all over me, purring in my
ear, rolling on their backs, rubbing noses with me or falling asleep in
my arms. They just don't like to be restrained.

Lorelei sounds really sweet and affectionate, but like many cats, she
wants it on her terms.

Joyce

--
May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.
Old December 2nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 2, 10:35*am, wrote:
dgk wrote:

* You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
* cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other.

Dunzi will only tolerate being picked up for a few seconds and Sarsi
maybe a minute. We never picked Fugazi up not after the lacerations
we got the first few times we tried. Speedy Joe was not keen on the
idea and wriggled as soon as we picked him up. But Isis wanted to be
picked up and cuddled all the time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old December 2nd 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:56:01 -0500, dgk wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:06:44 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

I really cannot figure out her behavior, at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

Many cats don't liked to be touched while they're eating. Many cats can be
very loving but don't like to be picked up.

I've never tried to bother mine while they're eating, but they definitely
don't like to be picked up. I'm happy they will come up on my lap and sleep
on my bed, although I'm jealous. They sleep on the foot of the bed and
seldom even come close enough for a quick skritch. I'd say her bed
behavior, plus the fact that she obviously feels safe in your bedroom and
the fact that she's spending much less time in the basement, show a lot of
progress.

Joy

You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other. My
favorite cat is Espy, but I can never pick him up. Well, I can, but he
squirms and tries to get away so I never hold him very long and
usually don't even try.

He almost never sits in my lap, as Marlo, Nipsy, and Scooter do. It
just makes it all that more special when he does climb into my lap. He
isn't very good at it actually, he hasn't quite figured out how to fit
correctly but it's such an honor that I don't correct him.

My other favorite cat of all times, Nico (RB), wouldn't even let me
pet him. As I reached for him his back would slide down until his
stomach hit the floor. But, like Espy, he was remarkably smart and
just had such a personality that it didn't matter.

I'm with Joy, you're making great progress in a short time. Remember,
this is a huge change for her and cats just do not like change. Well,
most of them anyway.

Yes, this must be a HUGE change for her, and it's been less than a
month.
Old December 2nd 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On 02 Dec 2010 18:35:45 GMT, wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

Yes, she IS very sweet.

When I lie in bed, she LOVES to be on top of me.

And she seems to understand not disturbing me (very much) when I'm
sleeping.

While I'm reading, before I go to sleep, she often moves around, finding
a comfortable spot on me.

But when I turn off the light, she tends to stay in one place, and I
rarely wake up because of her.

One thing I've noticed about cats" they never seem to mind if *I* wake
THEM up, to give them scritches or to pet them.

I used to pick up Kenzie when she was sleeping, and she always seemed to
like it; she LOVED getting ear scritches.

I guess I'm not nearly so tolerant as cats are when it comes to
sleeping: I don't care to be woken up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old December 2nd 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:17:37 -0800 (PST), Lesley Madigan
wrote:

On Dec 2, 10:35*am, wrote:
dgk wrote:

* You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
* cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other.

Dunzi will only tolerate being picked up for a few seconds and Sarsi
maybe a minute. We never picked Fugazi up not after the lacerations
we got the first few times we tried. Speedy Joe was not keen on the
idea and wriggled as soon as we picked him up. But Isis wanted to be
picked up and cuddled all the time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

When I first got Kenzie, I remember being told that she didn't like to
be picked up.

But, I must have started to do it anyways, and she grew to like it.

She liked to be held like a baby, cradled in one arm, while I scritched
her ears and rubbed her tummy

If Lorelei is in my bedroom, she will let me pick her up. But not if she
is anywhere else.

My bet is that she feels safe and relaxed there, while she is still
'nervous' in the rest of my house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

Old December 3rd 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 10:35 am, wrote:
dgk wrote:

You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other.

Dunzi will only tolerate being picked up for a few seconds and Sarsi
maybe a minute. We never picked Fugazi up not after the lacerations
we got the first few times we tried. Speedy Joe was not keen on the
idea and wriggled as soon as we picked him up. But Isis wanted to be
picked up and cuddled all the time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

***

Only one of the cats I've ever had really liked being picked up, although a
few would tolerate it. However, Arky (RB) would not only let you pick him
up, he'd let you hold him all day - as long as you remained standing. If
you sat down, he was outa there.

Joy

Old December 3rd 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

On Dec 2, 10:35 am, wrote:
dgk wrote:

[...]

I don't know about you, but if it were me, I'd be flattered and pleased that
she chose that room.

Joy

Old December 3rd 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 01/12/2010 09:06, Joy wrote:

Many cats don't liked to be touched while they're eating. Many cats can be
very loving but don't like to be picked up.

And another quirk of Mir's is that she doesn't like to be picked up, but
she does like to be petted while she's eating.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.