OT - Still

Old November 29th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Still

Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) - just
plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. If the myth about triptophan were
true I'd be asleep for the next year! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 29th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

29.11.2010 19:08, CatNipped kirjoitti:
Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) - just
plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. If the myth about triptophan were
true I'd be asleep for the next year! ;

It's good to hear that you're eating heartily. I hope you manage to gain
some weight too. It it were possible, I'd give you some of mine, as
there's waaaaay too much of me around...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 29th 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

In article ,
"CatNipped" wrote:

Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) - just
plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. If the myth about triptophan were
true I'd be asleep for the next year! ;

I'm so glad you have food that you can eat and *enjoy*! Maybe you need
to convince Ben to make you turkey (it's pretty darned easy to roast)
with nice moist sides more often. It's good protein to help rebuild and
stop your body from eating itself (mostly), and if you can taste it
properly there's very good reason to eat it. Vary the sides a little and
drink some whole milk and you're set.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old November 29th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) - just
plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. If the myth about triptophan were
true I'd be asleep for the next year! ;

----

Lor, I'm ***SO*** glad to hear that you're eating and munching out!! That
makes this Thanksgiving great!! Keep eatin' awaaaay!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old November 29th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Oh, I eat like that *constantly* - I even get up in the middle of the night
and fix myself a full plate of food - left-overs are not safe in this house.
I drink a lot of whole milk too. And butter, lots of butter on baked
potatoes (although "real" mashed potatoes with lots of butter added are my
favorite). I *do* have problems with some foods that are naturally dry
because my mouth doesn't salivate (which is the first step in digestion, so
that could be a big cause) - I usually just try to get it down as I would a
pill by just taking a large drink to swallow it.

For instance since this morning I had a big bowl of cereal with whole milk,
then a couple of hours after that I had a big plate of cold turkey with gobs
of cranberry sauce and two Clausen pickles and a very large glass of whole
milk. Then for lunch I had a hotdog on a bun with mustard, ketchup, chili,
relish with another very large glass of whole milk. And now, an hour or so
later I'm considering going back up to the kitchen to scrounge around in the
'fridge and pantry for something to eat again.

Actually, in the middle of this note I got myself craving home-made mashed
potatoes, so I stopped and put some potatoes on to boil!

That's why it's so baffling to me and my doctors (I think they think I'm
lying, but Ben is right there to back me up). It's just not being
translated into body fat for some reason.

Old November 29th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Nov 29, 3:25*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Your calories are being transported somewhere else, to someone else,
ala Star Trek. Until recently, I would have said that they were coming
to me but I have had some much-needed weight loss recently.

On a serious note, I was happy to see that you like turkey so much
because it could help with your weight gain needs. Even though it is
lean it is quite easy to accompany it with all _kinds_ of rich foods.
I should know. But I see that you are already eating very well, so all
I can do is wish you luck.

--
Will in New Haven
Old November 30th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:08:09 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never*
have enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang
(stuffing, mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice,
turkey sandwiches for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey,
stuffing and cranberry sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we
ran out of stuffing) - just plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce.
If the myth about triptophan were true I'd be asleep for the next year!
;

I'm getting sick and tired of turkey, rice and giblet gravy. I am out of
deviled eggs, out of raw eggs, almost out of cornbread - I ran out of
black-eye peas and made another pot, now I'm out of raw peas; I'm out of
leftover rice for the second time. There is still *way* too much turkey
and more gravy than I would like.

I'll be grocery shopping tomorrow (Tuesday) - I'll pretty much have to
eat the same things again tomorrow (or eat out). By Wednesday night, I
should have something else cooked to eat on for a while, probably a
meatloaf, then the cats will get the leftovers.

I'll do it all over again for Xmas (I keep promising myself I won't, but
I always do).

--
Ted Davis )
Old November 30th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

My daughter gave me two baggies of leftover turkey and I've been enjoying a
sandwich every day since, and will do so for another several days. My
sandwiches are a little simpler - sliced white bread, Miracle Whip, lettuce
and, of course, turkey (preferably white meat, although for eating outside
of sandwiches I prefer dark). When I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner for
the four of us, I'd always buy the biggest turkey I could find so there'd be
plenty left for sandwiches. To me, that's the best part.

--

Joy

A miracle is something that is impossible until it happens. - from "Kids
Rite the Darndest Things" by Art Linkletter

Old November 30th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Here's the 'Good oil' (sorry) on how fats are digested:

Dietary fats, like those in butter, meat or cooking oils, are basically
organic compounds composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They consist of
complex molecules and are the most highly concentrated source of energy in
our daily diet. They belong to a class of substances called lipids.
Unfortunately, dietary fats do not dissolve in water, as a result they are
not easily broken down by fat-digesting enzymes (lipase) in the watery
content of the gastrointestinal tract. Thus fats tend to take longer to
digest than carbohydrates or proteins.

Although a small amount of lipase is secreted by Ebner's glands on the
tongue, and by the stomach, these digestive actions are not significant, as
almost no real breakdown of fat occurs until the fats reach the duodenum in
the form of gastric chyme.

Fat digestion and absorption requires that the complex fat molecules be
broken down into smaller more manageable molecules. This is done by mixing
the fat with the digestive enzyme lipase, which enters the duodenum from the
pancreas - the main source of enzymes for digesting fats and proteins.
Lipase chops up lipid molecules into fatty acid molecules and glycerol
molecules. However, because fat does not dissolve in water, the fat
molecules enter the duodenum in a congealed mass, which makes it impossible
for the pancreatic lipase enzymes to attack them, since lipase is a water
soluble enzyme and can only attack the surface of the fat molecules. To
overcome this problem the digestive system uses a substance called bile,
produced in the liver but stored in the gallbladder, which enters the
duodenum via the bile duct. Bile emulsifies fats - meaning, it disperses
them into small droplets which then become suspended in the watery contents
of the digestive tract. Emulsification allows lipase to gain easier access
to the fat molecules and thus accelerates their breakdown and digestion.

Lipase and other digestive juices break down the fat molecules into fatty
acids and types of glycerol. Absorption of fat into the body, which takes
10-15 minutes, occurs in the villi - the millions of finger-like projections
which cover the walls of the small intestine. Inside each villus is a series
of lymph vessels (lacteals) and blood vessels (capillaries). The lacteals
absorb the fatty acids and glycerol into the lymphatic system which
eventually drains into the bloodstream. The fatty acids are transported via
the bloodstream to the membranes of adipose cells or muscle cells, where
they are either stored or oxidized for energy. Since glucose rather than fat
is the body's preferred source of energy, and since only about 5 percent of
absorbed fat (the glycerols) can be converted into glucose, a significant
proportion of digested fat is typically stored as body fat in the adipose
cells. The glycerol part is absorbed by the liver and is either converted
into glucose (gluconeogenesis), and/or used to help breakdown glucose into
energy (glycolysis).

(stolen from
http://www.annecollins.com/digestive...on-of-fats.htm)

So, what I read from that something isn't working right in your digestion of
fats. I'd be checking on your gallbladder & bile duct for bile production,
your pancreas for lipase production, and whether your small intestine
lacteals are working properly.

And, as odd as it may sound, you need to drink water to get the degree of
emulsification necessary for the lipase to work effeciently, so dehydration
could be an issue too.

Yowie

Old November 30th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

have they checked for malabsorbtion, sp syndrome, DH's mother has this, not
sure how it works or what fixes it, but it really sounds like her deal, Lee