Ping Lorelei...

Old November 30th 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

Default Ping Lorelei...

Well, I mean Gandalf, of course. How is the new Mistress? Any
progress?

--
MatSav

Old November 30th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:15:15 -0000, "MatSav"
wrote:

Well, I mean Gandalf, of course. How is the new Mistress? Any
progress?

Some progress....not a lot.

Lorelei is spending a lot less time in the basement, hiding, which is
good.

Now, she spends almost all of her time in the bedroom.

She seems to be comfortable there. If I come in, she no longer shies
away, and will accept any and all attention I give her.

I put her bowl of kibble in the living room...just barely.

It's behind me if I'm sitting at my computer, and Lorelei usually
manages to eat out of it without me even hearing her.

If I just SEE her heading towards the bowl of food, she runs away.

If she is eating from it, and I see her, and don't make any noise, she
will continue eating.

I have tried moving VERY slowly to reach for her to pet her while she's
eating, but she flees, if I try to touch her.

She seems completely comfortable when she's in the bedroom.

And she likes to sleep with me, and cuddle under the blankets.

Usually, she likes to sleep ON me. Ooof! She's a BIG kitty; I'm guessing
about 16 pounds.

But, she rarely wakes me up, or fusses while I'm sleeping, which is
nice.

I often sleep with one hand under her head, and she likes that

I can pick her up...if she's in the bedroom. But, nowhere else.

If I find her in the basement, and try to pick her up, she squirms and
gets away.

I really cannot figure out her behavior, at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old November 30th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

She IS doing great. Something may have happened while she was eating and it
will take time to get over it. You TWO have come a long way in a fairly
short time. Two of my cats prefer the bedroom and Willow prefers her fish
tank where she spends a lot of time.

Old November 30th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

IMHO She sounds like a normal CAT! MLB
Old December 1st 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Oh Gandalf, that's not a "little progress" - that's a *GIANT LEAP* of faith
on her part. I really wouldn't make a big deal about her not wanting to eat
in your presence or to be picked up and moved from her "safe place". We've
had Demi for *12 YEARS* now and she still runs, terrified and slouched down
almost to the floor, when either Ben or I get anywhere near her. We got her
when she was only about 5 weeks old and, as you can tell if you know
anything about me, or look at my web site, Ben and I have pampered her as if
she were the Queen of England. She has *NO* experience with any type of
trauma, except for her spay surgery, so there's absolutely no cause for her
to fear us so. We just figure, if the most comfortable, safe, desirable (to
her) spot is under a bed well... so be it. If it makes her happy then
that's what we let her do.

Your description of how Lorelei acts with you would be *much, much,
mega-much more affection than we could even dream about having Demi act
towards us.

And *please* don't take this as a 'dig', or berating you - that's the
farthest thing I'm trying to do. I hope you'll just take this as
encouraging you to be a little more patient and let her set the terms of
what she wants when she wants it. The purpose is to make her content and
happy (that's the reason we call ourselves "cat slaves" and our owners
"master")

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure everything will
work out.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 1st 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

And she likes to sleep with me, and cuddle under the blankets.

Usually, she likes to sleep ON me. Ooof! She's a BIG kitty; I'm guessing
about 16 pounds.

But, she rarely wakes me up, or fusses while I'm sleeping, which is
nice.

I often sleep with one hand under her head, and she likes that

She sounds wonderful!! What an affectionate little girl. (OK, not so
little.)

I can pick her up...if she's in the bedroom. But, nowhere else.

If I find her in the basement, and try to pick her up, she squirms and
gets away.

I really cannot figure out her behavior, at all.

Can anyone figure out their cat's behavior??

I'm glad she's not spending so much time in the basement.

Joyce

--
Speak your mind even if your voice cracks while you're saying it.
Old December 1st 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

[...]

Many cats don't liked to be touched while they're eating. Many cats can be
very loving but don't like to be picked up.

I've never tried to bother mine while they're eating, but they definitely
don't like to be picked up. I'm happy they will come up on my lap and sleep
on my bed, although I'm jealous. They sleep on the foot of the bed and
seldom even come close enough for a quick skritch. I'd say her bed
behavior, plus the fact that she obviously feels safe in your bedroom and
the fact that she's spending much less time in the basement, show a lot of
progress.

Joy

Old December 1st 10, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

don't bother trying to figure it out, just ignore what you don't want, and
encourage what you do, if the bedroom is that safe to her she will keep
making progress, Lee

Old December 2nd 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pat Chlebowski

Thanks for the update......

Old December 2nd 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:06:44 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

I really cannot figure out her behavior, at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

Many cats don't liked to be touched while they're eating. Many cats can be
very loving but don't like to be picked up.

I've never tried to bother mine while they're eating, but they definitely
don't like to be picked up. I'm happy they will come up on my lap and sleep
on my bed, although I'm jealous. They sleep on the foot of the bed and
seldom even come close enough for a quick skritch. I'd say her bed
behavior, plus the fact that she obviously feels safe in your bedroom and
the fact that she's spending much less time in the basement, show a lot of
progress.

Joy

You're not meant to figure out their behavior; that's why they're
cats. They're all just so weird and different from each other. My
favorite cat is Espy, but I can never pick him up. Well, I can, but he
squirms and tries to get away so I never hold him very long and
usually don't even try.

He almost never sits in my lap, as Marlo, Nipsy, and Scooter do. It
just makes it all that more special when he does climb into my lap. He
isn't very good at it actually, he hasn't quite figured out how to fit
correctly but it's such an honor that I don't correct him.

My other favorite cat of all times, Nico (RB), wouldn't even let me
pet him. As I reached for him his back would slide down until his
stomach hit the floor. But, like Espy, he was remarkably smart and
just had such a personality that it didn't matter.

I'm with Joy, you're making great progress in a short time. Remember,
this is a huge change for her and cats just do not like change. Well,
most of them anyway.