Obligatory Xmas warnings

Old December 3rd 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default Obligatory Xmas warnings

Now, most of us know this stuff but just in case we have a new pet owner,
here's a starter list of things you may not have known were dangerous. Feel
free to add to the list.

Eggnog with raw eggs, eggs and most pets (unless cooked) are dangerous.
Liver issues immediate. Chocolate is also to be avoided. So are grapes and
raisins.

Those long lovely tinsel strings may be pretty but they attract cats and are
deadly if they eat one.

Those packets of tree perservative for the tree holder can be toxic. A bit
of sugar can work almost as well and isn't toxic.

Many people are changing out their antifreeze at this season. Pets can walk
in it then lick their feet or lick/lap it up in puddles. It's deadly.

The 'salt' stuff many in cold areas use on their sidewalks can literally
burn a pet's feet. They sell dog booties for pretty cheap which work in
that case but cats allowed outside won't wear'em so be aware of this and
what you use at your own sidewalk area.

How to keep the cat out of the Xmas tree? Ya can't. We use small discrete
cup hooks and thin clear fishing line to tie the top as well to the ceiling
so they can't take it down.

More from others?

Old December 3rd 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Thanks Carol, even life-long cat slaves need to be reminded now and again.
And for both those and the new pet owners you may have saved a life and a
lot of grief.

Just adding Poinsettias to the list of dangerous plants. Oh, and also
dispose of dental floss in a trash bin that can't be accessed by the masters
(they seem to love the stuff for some reason - Archer will run across the
room to bat at it while I'm trying to floss).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 3rd 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 3, 12:25*am, "cshenk" wrote:

Eggnog with raw eggs, eggs and most pets (unless cooked) are dangerous.

I should imagine most pets would be dangerous if they weren't cooked?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 3rd 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Along with the poinsettia, any type of lily. Christmas lily's are gorgeous
but also quite toxic. Gotta have "holiday plants"? Go for silk Glass
ornaments which can be batted off the tree and shatter. Metal ornament
hooks. Also, not just the packet of tree preservative. Some people put a
couple of aspirin in the tree stand water as a preservative. Big no-no! Do
as Carol suggested and use sugar. That's about all off the top of my head.
I don't have to worry about any of them

Jill