Update on Blocked Cat

Old May 14th 05, 10:13 PM
Hopitus

Hey, I'm not getting into the food arguments....but I'm curious about
something: when my male cats got blocked (long time ago, in 80's and 90's)
vets in s.FL did some kinda surgery that (not to get obscene here) actually
"made him a girl" and forever made blockage extremely unlikely....former
boycats peed like girls after the whole thing (I personally never understood
what this surgery consisted of, just happy cats' lives were saved). Did -
for all that $ - vet "make him a girl" urinary-wise?

"Mary" wrote in message

"animzmirot" wrote in message
Got our kitty back from the vet this morning. $1129.14 poorer, I might

add.
He was in the vets for 3 nights, Highlights of the bill were
hospitalization charges including "biowaste management" ($3.99 ea) at
$122.40 per night, $120 for a CBC and chemistries, $114 for 1/2 hour
anesthesia, $122 for the urinary obstruction, and $102 for the saline
IV.

They did give us a 10 lb bag of C/D food complementary. Big whoop!

The cat feels a lot better and is in his 'room' sleeping (the linen
closet
is known as his room), and he did spend some time on the screened porch
looking at the birds, etc.. But he is still woozy and fell off the porch
railing and our dining room sideboard.

I'm glad he's home, but his new name is "sofa", which is just about what
this ordeal cost.

Marjorie

You're a fabulous cat slave. You certainly saved his life, and of
course you know that he will bring you more joy and comfort
than the most expensive couch. Good on you.

Old May 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Hopitus

Re the sofa: I actually have an Ethan Allen custom-made
leather sofa (bed) in l.r. all vulnerable parts covered by thick cotton
large-sofa throw (sofa against wall in back)
which is now covered w/two cats' worh of shed winter fur (gotta wash that
sucker soon!) and they are both snoozing on it now. I keep their claws
closely clipped no kidding and there is not one claw mark in its leather.
When company comes (most frequent company is deadly allergic to cats
dander/fur) cats go into bedroom
during visit and cover/throw is whipped off sofa. Leather was kinda hot in
FL but not here. Anyway, bottom line
is YES cats are worth far more than any sofa AFA giving
love and comfort to our lives.

Old May 14th 05, 10:39 PM
Mary

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Hey, I'm not getting into the food arguments....but I'm curious about
something: when my male cats got blocked (long time ago, in 80's and 90's)
vets in s.FL did some kinda surgery that (not to get obscene here)

actually
"made him a girl" and forever made blockage extremely unlikely....former
boycats peed like girls after the whole thing (I personally never

understood
what this surgery consisted of, just happy cats' lives were saved). Did -
for all that $ - vet "make him a girl" urinary-wise?

I have heard of a procedure like this, but don't know the details!
Did he begin to swish when he walked?

Old May 14th 05, 10:44 PM
Mary

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Re the sofa: I actually have an Ethan Allen custom-made
leather sofa (bed) in l.r. all vulnerable parts covered by thick cotton
large-sofa throw (sofa against wall in back)
which is now covered w/two cats' worh of shed winter fur (gotta wash that
sucker soon!) and they are both snoozing on it now. I keep their claws
closely clipped no kidding and there is not one claw mark in its leather.
When company comes (most frequent company is deadly allergic to cats
dander/fur) cats go into bedroom
during visit and cover/throw is whipped off sofa. Leather was kinda hot in
FL but not here. Anyway, bottom line
is YES cats are worth far more than any sofa AFA giving
love and comfort to our lives.

You figured out how to have a nice leather couch and
cats too! Good for you!

Old May 14th 05, 10:55 PM
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:56:38 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:42:39 -0400, "animzmirot"
wrote:

[...]

The cause of the blockage is the cat's body's inabilty to handle ash
(magnesium and the like) in food. Canned food is lower ash than most
dry food. If I were you I would look up and discover who makes the lowest

ash
catfood (probably canned) and stick to that brand. Prevention is
cheaper than the cure.

Apparently C/D is prescribed for the management of struvite crystals.

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dry.htm

"FLUTD is a condition often associated with the formation of crystals in the
urinary tract that can cause numerous painful symptoms for your cat. The two
most common types of crystals that form in the cat's urinary tract: struvite
and oxalate. Prescription Diet® Feline c/d is formulated to provide
nutritional management of cats with struvite-related FLUTD. Prescription
Diet c/d contains reduced building blocks of struvite and produces an acid
urine pH, lowering the chance that struvite crystals will form. The
nutritional formulation of Prescription Diet c/d® may also be useful for
pets with a variety of conditions. "

This must be the reason the vet sent this food home with Marjorie.

The vet knows what she's doing. Good.
Old May 14th 05, 10:59 PM
Mary

wrote:

[...]

Quite often it is easy to forget that they generally do.
Still, I think canned food is a good idea if only because
of the water content.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 01:03 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Back - and Mikey update (long) LOL Cat anecdotes 60 June 14th 04 05:55 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 11:01 AM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM