My First Kitten

Old November 27th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default My First Kitten

Those of you who have been reading the group for a while know that we lost
our beloved tuxedo girl last March to cancer, and have been giving ourselves
time to grieve before adopting another. My husband had his heart set on a
baby, but I have always adopted adults (figuring most people want kittens)
so this is a totally new thing for me. He had wanted a Siamese-looking cat,
but that proved impossible, they are few and far between as tiny babies at
shelters, so he compromised.

We brought baby Bella home Wednesday afternoon Nov. 25. She is 8-10 weeks
old, weighs two pounds, is a black shorthair with a spot of tan on her chest
and tiny splotches on a couple of her feet, almost like brush strokes. Also
a couple of little spots above her eye. She is outrageously loving, loves
everyone, and has a kind of oriental build--long and skinny. We adore her.
She is between my office chair and the back of my head right now, about to
take a nap. I took 58 pictures of her yesterday and not one turned out
because she would not be still--and it is really hard to photograph a black
cat. Gracie is a little grumpy but is interested in the kitten, so all goes
well.

Pictures soon as I figure out how to get some! Or maybe a video is better.

Old November 27th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Congratulations Cyber
You are the proud slave of a hell raider in waiting ;-)

Old November 27th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
Congratulations Cyber
You are the proud slave of a hell raider in waiting ;-)

I know you know exactly what you're talking about, too. We just bathed
the shelter smell off of her, got her warm and sleepy, and cut her claws for
the first time, just the tips because it is so hard to see the quick. Gracie
is not happy, but at the same time interested, it's kind of neat. I am using
all the knowledge gained from all these years reading the group to start her
out right. We made bath time as nice as we could, and when she was too
squirmy this morning, decided to wait to cut her claws so as to not give her
a bad experience. She did not protest at all while sleepy!

Old November 28th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
[...]

+++++++++++++++++++
Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy life with Bella. You will have so much fun watching her play and grow. The only thing that

could make it better is another kitten. MLB
Old November 28th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:31:51 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

Just about the happiest day in our lives is the day we bring home a new
cat or kitten.

I'm so happy for you

I predict a year of total mayhem, with much happiness.

Followed by many, many years of decreasing mayhem, and even more
happiness, with beautiful Bella

Gandalf
Old November 28th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Gandalf" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:10:08 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
Congratulations Cyber
You are the proud slave of a hell raider in waiting ;-)

I know you know exactly what you're talking about, too. We just
bathed
the shelter smell off of her, got her warm and sleepy, and cut her claws
for the first time, just the tips because it is so hard to see the
quick.
Gracie is not happy, but at the same time interested, it's kind of neat.
am using all the knowledge gained from all these years reading the group
to start her out right. We made bath time as nice as we could, and when
she was too squirmy this morning, decided to wait to cut her claws so as
to not give her a bad experience. She did not protest at all while
sleepy!

Phil site has the best thing to do when they are a kitten get them used
having their paws touched and such. You are a lucky slave and I am
jealous
a bit.

Could you please post the URL for that site?

I don't have a kitten, but my beloved Kenzie is about 14, and, sooner or
later, she will leave me

I would try to adopt an adult, when I am ready, but you never know

It's been 26 years since I had a kitten...

And I just like to learn as much about cats and kittens as possible.

Often, people ask me questions about their cats and kittens; I like to
give the best advice possible

Thank you.

Gandalf

http://maxshouse.com/

Old November 28th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"T" wrote
Use flash or record as video since Windows Movie Maker and other editors
let you snap frames of video as photograph.

Great idea, thanks ..!

Old November 28th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, T exclaimed (11/27/2009 8:16 PM):
In article ,
says...
[...]

Natural, indirect daylight works best, if you can get it - I find flash
sometimes is too much. Some of my best Meep pictures are outside (yes,
under supervision, she's an indoor cat) on cloudy, bright days. I also
have taken probably thousands of cat-shaped outlines - often with
glowing eyes - of her. It gets better with practice

jmc

Old November 28th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

Congrats!! I've only had kittens once, as a pair, Scarlett and Rhett. They
are so much fun, but as easy to take care of as a human baby. LOL You
should have gotten two!! Seriously, though, good luck with your little
mushroom.

Cheryl

Old November 29th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Whiley[_2_]

Gandalf wrote:

I predict a year of total mayhem, with much happiness.

Followed by many, many years of decreasing mayhem, and even more
happiness, with beautiful Bella

Gandalf

Oh, I wouldn't count on the mayhem decreasing that much. Fliss is very
nearly four now, and she's _still_ a holy terror!

And don't count on an older cat being a steadying influence either.
That's what we thought, and if anything it's the other way round.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw001 and there's no need for any wossname