animal question

Old December 23rd 11, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default animal question

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
news

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the
only pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to
seventy when i rescued him...

Yeah, parrots are known for longevity. 70, even 80 or more years.

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and
health issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got
the chance to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and
besides getting another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it
for one of us kids to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

As Joy said, there's no set time or age. It's a matter of being able to
care for them. If they want to travel they probably shouldn't get a
pet. Boarding is no fun. JMHO.

Jill

There are alternatives to boarding. As I said, my neighbors care for my
cats when I travel. When my daughter and her husband travel, they hire a
pet-sitter who comes in twice a day to check on their cats, feed them and
give them some attention. In both cases they are able to stay in their
own home.

Joy

When I got my last cat from a kitten rescue group, I asked the foster
parents if I could bring her to their house when we traveled.
That worked out very well. I donated some funds, but less than boarding,
and Pit2nya visited with her mother, hissed at some kitties, to let them
know she was not low-cat-on-the-totem-pole, then played with all.
It was different when I tried to bring a kitten in HER house, though.

Sylvia, just an occasional poster here.

That sounds like an ideal situation for all concerned. I'm sure the foster
parents were happy to be able to have her for a while too.

Joy

Old December 23rd 11, 09:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
MLB wrote:

I'll bite! What is a gannet?
The only gannet I've heard of is a newspaper company. MLB

it's a seabird, said to very greedy. Personally I love watching
them.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...net/index.aspx

I don't - they wet their nests! :-)

fx: Monty Pyton's Flying Circus

http://www.montypython.net/sounds/sketches/gannet.wav

/fx

--
MatSav

Old December 23rd 11, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-12-22 5:46 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
We have (after asking her) put in our will that my niece will find a good
home for any cat we have if DH and myself are defunct. there is also a
provision for money to go with that cat. So, we have a cat with an
inheritance. (As if Sootie doesn't already think she's Posh) My niece
doesn't know about that. I want the cat to go to a home where she is
wanted and then the money is to help with any cost they incur.

The RSPCA do advertise a service where you sign up for your cat to be
looked after and re-homed if you die. I thought I might look into that too.

Judith

I expect my sister will find a home for one of my cats (she's allergic
to cats, so couldn't take him itself).

Cinnie has Papers! The SPCA wouldn't give her to me until I signed a
form saying that if for any reason I couldn't care for her, she goes
back to them. In practice, I don't expect they'd mind if my next of kin
found her a good home, since they generally have far more cats than
prospective homes, but she does have someone to take responsibility for
her if I pre-decease her and my family couldn't or wouldn't help.

--
Cheryl
Old December 23rd 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On 2011-12-21 2:33 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the chance
to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and besides getting
another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it for one of us kids
to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

When you're physically incapable of looking after it, and you don't live
with someone who can fill in, I suppose.

I've known someone who didn't get a new puppy when the previous dog had
to be put down because they were no longer physically able to deal with
the walking and training of a young, vigorous puppy. And I've known
someone who said that her elderly father got a new lease on life after
being widowed from the gift of a young dog. It got them both out of the
house and gives the human an interest in life.

I expect that if the elderly human doesn't outlive the dog, the
daughter, who lives next door and loves dogs, will take him in.

My SIL gave her last dog away this year because it was a VERY VERY
active young dog who needed a ton of attention. She's been an invalid
for a long time, and they always had a quiet gentle doggy companion
for her. Unfortunately, this latest dog was a major miscalculation -
the largest, strongest, jumpiest, most demanding 'bichon' on the
planet. She just wasn't physically up to giving him what he needed,
and then she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and that was
the last straw. A cat would be a better companion for her, but she's
allergic to them, so she's going without the companionship.
Old December 23rd 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 2011-12-21 2:33 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
[...]

That is sad. It sounds as if the ideal thing would be to find an older dog.

Joy

Old December 24th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
trubble

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 00:03:16 -0600, "Storrmmee"
wrote:

i was talking to my mom just after her last pooch went to rb, so the only
pet they have left is a quaker parrot... who knew they live to seventy when
i rescued him...

now for the question, both of my parents are in their seventies and health
issues are growing, she told me no more pets because if they got the chance
to travel they wanted to do so if they felt well enough, and besides getting
another animal would be unfair if they die and leave it for one of us kids
to care for... so the question,

When do you know its time to stop getting pets?

Lee

I'm going to have a cat until the day I die.

Perhaps I'm selfish, but I like having a cat to keep me company.