Rusty's prgoress

Old January 13th 05, 04:23 PM
W. Leong

Default Rusty's prgoress

Thanks for all the purrs.

Rusty has been doing well after 2 weeks on Clomicalm. No more peeing or
pooping on the floor. He was also switched to canned prescription I/D for
his diarrhea.
The vet. thought he may not like the I/D. But he has no problem with it.
Rusty has never refused any food except the times when he lost his appetite
while on antibiotics. This is the 6th and most expensive prescription food
so far. Rusty is to stay on this diet for a month. Now I justhave to watch
him
closely to make sure he does not have urinary problems.
He has a history of urinary blockage. The vet said older cats have less
chances of getting crystals. Rusty is 10.

Hope Rusty stays healthy from now on. The past few months have been
very stressful for both of us.

Winnie

Old January 13th 05, 05:57 PM
jmcquown

W. Leong wrote:
Thanks for all the purrs.

Rusty has been doing well after 2 weeks on Clomicalm. No more peeing
or pooping on the floor. He was also switched to canned prescription
I/D for his diarrhea.
The vet. thought he may not like the I/D. But he has no problem with
it. Rusty has never refused any food except the times when he lost
his appetite while on antibiotics. This is the 6th and most expensive
prescription food so far. Rusty is to stay on this diet for a month.
Now I justhave to watch him
closely to make sure he does not have urinary problems.
He has a history of urinary blockage. The vet said older cats have
less chances of getting crystals. Rusty is 10.

Hope Rusty stays healthy from now on. The past few months have been
very stressful for both of us.

Winnie

Purrs that Rusty continues to improve. Persia is on Hill's x/d formula due
to crystal oxolates forming in her bladder. Not only does she love the
food, she *demands* it

Continued purrs for Rusty and for you.

Jill

Old January 13th 05, 07:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-13, W. Leong penned:

Hope Rusty stays healthy from now on. The past few months have been very
stressful for both of us.

I hope so, too. Sounds like things are getting better.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 13th 05, 09:36 PM
W. Leong

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Purrs that Rusty continues to improve. Persia is on Hill's x/d formula
due
to crystal oxolates forming in her bladder. Not only does she love the
food, she *demands* it

Continued purrs for Rusty and for you.

Jill

Jill, is Persia on dry or canned food?

After Rusty's hospitalization some years ago for a complete urinary
blockage from struvite crystals, the vet said no more dry food, even the
prescription kind. Canned food has a lot of water in it. I have been adding
distilled water to Rusty's canned food to make sure he gets enough fluid. I
think it will be the same for oxalate crystals.
Canned food is more expensive and some say it is bad for the teeth. But
I brush Rusty's teeth.

How old is Persia? The vet said older cats tend to have oxalate crystals. 3
years ago Rusty was put on a prescription food for both types of crystals -
Waltham's S/O. But it was sold to Royal Canin last year. That's about the
time Rusty started having diarrhea. Maybe the formula was changed.
Anyway, since his first blockage, Rusty has gone from S/D, C/D, MediCal
Preventive, G/D, S/O, and now I/D.

Btw, I checked the link you posted for prescription food. Turns out the
canned I/D is more expensive than what my vet charges. Plus I paid in
Canadian $$.

Winnie

Old January 13th 05, 11:09 PM
jmcquown

W. Leong wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Purrs that Rusty continues to improve. Persia is on Hill's x/d
formula due
to crystal oxolates forming in her bladder. Not only does she love
the food, she *demands* it

Continued purrs for Rusty and for you.

Jill

Jill, is Persia on dry or canned food?

Both. She gets the canned once a week.

After Rusty's hospitalization some years ago for a complete urinary
blockage from struvite crystals, the vet said no more dry food, even
the prescription kind. Canned food has a lot of water in it. I have
been adding distilled water to Rusty's canned food to make sure he
gets enough fluid. I think it will be the same for oxalate crystals.

Persia gets plenty of water; she has a kitty fountain and drinks like a
fiend... at least it would appear so when I see/hear her slurping away at
the thing. Also from the non-poop clumps in the litter box.

Canned food is more expensive and some say it is bad for the teeth.
But
I brush Rusty's teeth.

How old is Persia?

Don't really know. I'm guessing 6 or 7. She was an adult when she came to
me. At that time the vet guessed, based on her teeth, she was 2 or 3. I
prefer to think my little lady was 2, so I say she's 6

The vet said older cats tend to have oxalate
crystals. 3 years ago Rusty was put on a prescription food for both
types of crystals - Waltham's S/O. But it was sold to Royal Canin
last year. That's about the time Rusty started having diarrhea. Maybe
the formula was changed.

Quite possible they changed the formula. Persia had surgery last year to
remove bladder stones and a cyst which was causing them and that's when the
vet put her on the x/d.

Anyway, since his first blockage, Rusty has gone from S/D, C/D,
MediCal Preventive, G/D, S/O, and now I/D.

Btw, I checked the link you posted for prescription food. Turns out
the canned I/D is more expensive than what my vet charges. Plus I
paid in Canadian $$.

Winnie

Continued purrs for Rusty

Jill