Treating a cat after dental surgery?

Old June 22nd 05, 07:26 PM
Stephen Denney

Default Treating a cat after dental surgery?

I took an elderly friend of mine with her cat to the vet the other day,
because the cat had a problem with his foot. The vet looked at the cat's
foot briefly, could not really come to a firm conclusion, but then in
opening the cat's mouth noticed he needed some teeth removed. So he stayed
there overnight and the next morning the vet removed two teeth. When we
came by in the afternoon to pick up the cat, I asked if there were any
instructions, and after a staff person went back to ask the vet, she came
back and told us that no, the cat could do whatever it wants. No
instructions.

But I told my elderly friend that it would be best to keep the cat inside
for at least a few days, and to feed it soft food. She got upset at me
because what I said conflicted with the vet's instructions. She said the
cat would not eat the soft food, and then let the cat out that night. This
is in a hilly area of the east bay, where there is a big closed off water
reserve park directly behind her house. The cat already has a tendency to
roam around at night and not come in until late.

My concern is that this cat, already being a bit wild and traumatized by
the surgery and maybe a little bit groggy still from the operation, might
wander off. I also worry that eating dry food so soon after dental surgery
would hurt his teeth. Am I wrong to have given her different instructions
from the vet? I will be going over there tonight, so maybe then will find
out what is going on with the cat.

- Steve Denney

Old June 22nd 05, 08:24 PM
CatNipped

"Stephen Denney" wrote in message
F.Berkeley.EDU...

[...]

Neither piece of advice you gave could harm the cat in any way and could
*only* help. Personally I think your friend is an idiot for letting her cat
face the dangers of outdoors at *any* time much less right after surgery and
anesthesia (but I will *not* participate in another flame war over indoor
vs. outdoor)!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 22nd 05, 08:45 PM
KellyH

[...]

No, you were not wrong at all. Maybe the vet was assuming that the cat's
owner would at least keep the cat indoors after surgery, that is a given,
IMHO.
I'm surprised the cat didn't go home with some type of aftercare instruction
sheet. I also agree with giving canned food for at least a few days after
having teeth pulled.

--
-Kelly

Old June 22nd 05, 09:01 PM
Ashley

"Stephen Denney" wrote in message
F.Berkeley.EDU...

My concern is that this cat, already being a bit wild and traumatized by
the surgery and maybe a little bit groggy still from the operation, might
wander off. I also worry that eating dry food so soon after dental surgery
would hurt his teeth. Am I wrong to have given her different instructions
from the vet? I will be going over there tonight, so maybe then will find
out what is going on with the cat.

The advice you gave is precisely the advice my vet gives after the cats'
teeth have been *cleaned*, not extracted. Given that the cat's in less pain
after the cleaning, but equally as groggy from the anaesthetic, I would
suggest your advice was spot on.

Old June 22nd 05, 09:02 PM

Stephen Denney wrote:
[...]

I completely agree with you. The vet must not have been aware that it
was an indoor-outdoor cat. The last thing it needs is to get into a
fight with another cat so soon after surgery. And you make a very good
point about letting a traumitized cat outdoors. I think it could run
away or get lost. The food--why don't you buy her a few cans of
really palatable canned food. Most cats won't turn down Fancy Feast.
She neeeds to eat, and I think the gums need to heal a bit before
eating dry food. That's just my opinion.
Then again, it might be better to buy a better quality canned. Cats
seem to turn into Fancy Feast junkies and won't eat anything else after
they eat it. It's not the greatest quality food.

Sherry

Old June 23rd 05, 03:50 PM
Barb

My elderly cat came home falling down groggy from teeth extraction. She
sacked out on my bed, totally lifeless until morning when she was back to
normal. Your friend's cat also probably sacked out initially from the
anesthetic, whether indoors or out. Cats are so much safer indoors and
especially when they are groggy.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,