Odd cat item for chewing

Old June 19th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Odd cat item for chewing

Rhett the giant tabby is a chewer. He's never chewed on anything
like electrical cords or anything; he likes to chew on hard things.
Like plastic things. Humidifier water containers (he pushes the
whole contraption around the floor chewing on it); air duct
deflector thingies (he's even pulled the whole thing out of the
floor playing and chewing on it) and he even chews on the corner of
my glass-topped coffee table. He's still a baby (only going on 3
years old) and his teeth are always fine at his yearly's, it's just
this chewing thing has been going on ever since he discovered his
mouth when he was a kitten.

I was shopping at lunchtime today with a friend who was picking up
dog supplies while I picked up cat stuff. Went to find her and she
was getting some doggie chew things, and I asked her about these
beef bone things and she said her dogs love them. I jokingly said
I'd bet Rhett would love one since he likes to chew hard things so
I bought one. Anyone else let their cats chew on dog-oriented bone
treats, and have you ever had a problem? Dogs jaws are strong, so
I'd imagine if the thing could splinter it would hurt a dog if it
would hurt a cat and they wouldn't be so popular. But then again,
some suppliers will sell anything. It's just labeled as a
sterilized beef bone and doesn't have marrow or anything like that
in it; it's hollow.

--
Cheryl

Old June 19th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:59:21 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

Anyone else let their cats chew on dog-oriented bone
treats

No, but Levi would like Rhett to know that the plastic storage containers
for dog and cat food are lovely for chewing, even though he can barely open
his mouth wide enough to scrape his teeth along them. Same goes for the
laundry basket, or really anything made of hard plastic that requires
astounding jaw manipulation.

I think the only things you need to avoid would be rawhide and cooked bones
and of course anything with small parts he could ingest. If Rhett prefers
chewing on hard plastic like Levi does, I recommend a really big Nylabone.
In fact, after reading your post, I am thinking I'll get one for Levi and
see if he likes it. While the teeth marks on the food bins are funny, I
fear he'll break through at some point!

Of course the dog is NOT going to understand this...

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:40:05 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

LOL! I can only imagine. Ok, so I didn't know what a Nylabone
was, so I googled it and found this among the top results:
http://www.purelypets.com/healthaler...onewarning.htm

I forgot that there are now a bazillion varieties of Nylabones, including
the edible type. I was talking about the original, hard plastic
Nylabone, like this one (they come in a bunch of sizes and I think Levi
would like the one sized for Great Danes):

http://tinyurl.com/2ehw9x

same link he

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...T%3C%3Eprd_id=
845524441775346&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430202 6210&ASSORTMENT%3C%
3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1182217736623&item No=0
&Ntt=nylabone&In=All&previousText=nylabone&N=2

Of course anything, especially something chewed on for a while
which is probably the case here, can get old and soft and
dangerous.

I think the orginal Nylabones would survive most cats for a good long
while, though of course if they manage to work it enough that you think
pieces could break off, it's time to toss it.

This is the one I got him, and while the ad has choices that
include stuffed and flavored, this is neither. When I selected
"Extra large bone" there was no selection for flavored or stuffed,
so this must be it.

I think they would be perfectly safe AND long lasting, but I know Levi
wouldn't be interested. He's definitely a plastic chewing fool.

So does Rhett like it?

One word of caution, don't get bones "made" (processed, etc.) anywhere
other than the US. There have been problems with some of them. I can't
recall what exactly anymore since my head is still spinning from the
never ending pet food recall.

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 18 Jun 2007 09:54:01p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
.97.142:

I forgot that there are now a bazillion varieties of Nylabones,
including the edible type. I was talking about the original,
hard plastic Nylabone, like this one (they come in a bunch of
sizes and I think Levi would like the one sized for Great
Danes):

http://tinyurl.com/2ehw9x

Now I see. Thank you.

This is the one I got him, and while the ad has choices that
include stuffed and flavored, this is neither. When I selected
"Extra large bone" there was no selection for flavored or
stuffed, so this must be it.

I think they would be perfectly safe AND long lasting, but I
know Levi wouldn't be interested. He's definitely a plastic
chewing fool.

So does Rhett like it?

He's mouthed it a bit, but he might be like Levi and prefer
plastic. Scarlett played with it for a bit. I thought just the fact
that it is hard and easy for him to get his mouth around it might
work for him. We'll see. Some things take some time to get used
to. It would have to be better than chewing on some of what he
likes, especially the glass table corner. I'm getting worried about
him chipping a tooth.

One word of caution, don't get bones "made" (processed, etc.)
anywhere other than the US. There have been problems with some
of them. I can't recall what exactly anymore since my head is
still spinning from the never ending pet food recall.

Thank you! Very good to know. And scary.

--
Cheryl

Old June 19th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On 19 Jun 2007 00:59:21 GMT, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Rusty used to chew on things when he was little. It was especially bad
when I left a pair of my favorite dress shoes near the couch one night and
he chewed them up. I used to buy him rawhide chews which he really liked.
They used to sell them in small cylinder shapes back then, just the right
size for a kitten. He was always knawing on them when he was small. As he
got older, though, he lost that habit.

Patty
Old June 19th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

wrote:

I think the orginal Nylabones would survive most cats for a good long
while,

I would think so. One sure lasted a long time under the jaws of my vizlla