Aaargh - busybody neighbor! :(

Old June 13th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Gender-neutral pronouns

hopitus wrote:
On Jun 12, 7:05 pm, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

Hopity is bowing out of this discussion of terms for male chhickens
global-wide,
no less...with this last explanation for Tweed, who, living an
astonishingly different
life than yours truly, would never figure out. Several terms noted,
combined with
other words, are an invitation to violence, especially on the streets
of Miami (example
but not the same thing:m.f.) and they ain't "gallito", Joyce. I refuse
to go vulgar *or*
racist here and my fuzzy opinion is that some of you - no names - are
in unfamiliar
territory.

Hop, you sound annoyed - or something - and I have no idea why. As far
as I'm concerned, we're just bantering. If I'm wrong about something I
say, please correct me, that's not a problem. OK, so the Cubans don't
call a young male chicken a "gallito", lesson learned. (Hey, you can't
expect an online Spanish/English dictionary to be right about every
regional slang term in the world.)

But as to why this should annoy you, I don't understand that at all.

--
Joyce ^..^

I just got back from RL. You don't annoy me. And nothing to do with
you at all.....some of us seem oblivious to life other than in their
little
corner of the world. No further comment.

.....And some of us apparently have not received a very good education in
our OWN! (Or don't they TEACH even American English in the U.S. any more?)
Old June 13th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

g I love language and like learning weird terms too! You can never know
too much. What if you were in a quiz and the big money question was "what
is a young male chicken called in the UK?" Then you'd be glad you read this
thread ;-)

SFAIK, it's called the same thing in much of the U.S., too!
Old June 13th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

hopitus wrote in
:

On Jun 13, 12:20*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
messag

.. .

wrote in news:4a32bcc2$0$1666
:

If I lived in a farm area, I'd agree with you. But why should I,
who has never owned a chicken in my life, know all the terms they
are called by even in this country, much less in other countries?
You only get so many hours a day, and I'm very possessive about
how I allocate mine.

I love language and don't mind learning weird terms. I'm even a bit
sesquipedalian.

g *I love language and like learning weird terms too! *You can neve

r know
too much. *What if you were in a quiz and the big money question was
"w

hat
is a young male chicken called in the UK?" *Then you'd be glad you
read

this
thread ;-)

American and British English is a bit different. *We have different
wor

ds
for the same things and this does come up in quiz questions
occasionally. E.g. *We call it a car bonnet/a car boot/a pavement/a
tap/a car bumper

so
what is the American term? *I am fairly sure I know them all. *Answer

s on a
postcard please ;-)
(no, not really..) *all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

Okay, now that we are out of the chicken coop, I have one...you
mentioned a
"fob" used to get into your ladies room at work. Here a "fob" is the
little chain
hanging off a pocket watch (this is from way back in history, before
wris****ches
were invented by which said pocket watch attached to pants pocket for
same.
Surely your ladies room entry item iss not a little chain? All I have
come up with
in Wiki is the watch chain.....

Think of a little car alarm key chain transmitter or an electronic key.
Fob is used for those things also. Wave your little fob at the reception
panel and you're in.

Old June 13th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have different words
for the same things and this does come up in quiz questions occasionally.
E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so
what is the American term? I am fairly sure I know them all. Answers on a
postcard please ;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...
And no Googling, Wiki'ing or dictionaries used, cross my heart!!

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old June 13th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christine BA wrote:
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have different
words for the same things and this does come up in quiz questions
occasionally. E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car boot/a pavement/a
tap/a car bumper so what is the American term? I am fairly sure I
know them all. Answers on a postcard please ;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...
And no Googling, Wiki'ing or dictionaries used, cross my heart!!

I think you'll find it's called a fender. :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 13th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

Christine BA wrote:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...

I think you'll find it's called a fender. :-)

Unless you're talking about the amusement park game, "bumper cars".
Those are little electrically powered "cars" you drive around in an
enclosed area, where everyone crashes into each other. The cars all
have big bumpers since the object is to, well, bump.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 13th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christine BA" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have different words
for the same things and this does come up in quiz questions occasionally.
E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so
what is the American term? I am fairly sure I know them all. Answers on
a postcard please ;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...
And no Googling, Wiki'ing or dictionaries used, cross my heart!!

So? What do you think the English terms are?
I have this difficulty with Nüle. She s very keen to know only UK English
but she's absorbed some American English like airplane which she wants to
get rid of.
It's interesting teaching a German to speak English properly.
We made a pact, you be my homeopath and I will teach you English.

She got the better deal. Her English is almost perfect now.

Tweed

Old June 13th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Adrian" wrote in
om:

Christine BA wrote:
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. We have different
words for the same things and this does come up in quiz questions
occasionally. E.g. We call it a car bonnet/a car boot/a pavement/a
tap/a car bumper so what is the American term? I am fairly sure I
know them all. Answers on a postcard please ;-)
(no, not really..) all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...
And no Googling, Wiki'ing or dictionaries used, cross my heart!!

I think you'll find it's called a fender. :-)

Nope. Not the same thing. We call bumpers bumpers. They stick out the
front and back of the car. The fender is the part of the body that resides
over the wheels.
Old June 13th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jiggles

wrote in message

Adrian wrote:

Christine BA wrote:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was called
something else in the US...

I think you'll find it's called a fender. :-)

Unless you're talking about the amusement park game, "bumper cars".
Those are little electrically powered "cars" you drive around in an
enclosed area, where everyone crashes into each other. The cars all
have big bumpers since the object is to, well, bump.

They're "Dodgem Cars" here.

J.

Old June 14th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

hopitus wrote in
:

On Jun 13, 3:47*pm, outsider wrote:
"Adrian" wrote
innews:1JydnR3zn8tZjqnXnZ2dnUVZ8lOdnZ2d

@brightview.com:

Christine BA wrote:
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
American and British English is a bit different. *We have
different words for the same things and this does come up in quiz
questions occasionally. E.g. *We call it a car bonnet/a car
boot/a pavement/a tap/a car bumper so what is the American term?
*I am fairly sure I know them all. *Answers on a postcard please
;-) (no, not really..) *all invited to participate, just for fun.

Tweed

From a non-native speaker of the language, neither version, and a
non-professional as well (like Marina being a translator), here
goes:

hood/trunk/sidewalk/faucet/...hmmm... didn't know bumper was
called something else in the US...
And no Googling, Wiki'ing or dictionaries used, cross my heart!!

I think you'll find it's called a fender. :-)

Nope. *Not the same thing. *We call bumpers bumpers. *They stick ou

t the
front and back of the car. *The fender is the part of the body that
res

ides
over the wheels.

Thank you from MileHigh, home of fenderbender ice pileups every
winter.

Ah! Automotive ballet.

Another Neighbor Lost? Kyla =^..^=[_2_] Cat anecdotes 6 March 9th 09 04:36 AM
I have a new neighbor Shiral Cat anecdotes 3 September 29th 07 05:01 AM
My neighbor Karen Cat anecdotes 8 July 25th 06 01:57 AM
that neighbor problem Andrew Brown Cat health & behaviour 18 October 14th 04 09:13 AM
Aaargh Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 8 October 10th 04 02:04 AM