Early kidney failure - now what?

Old April 25th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
moonglow minnow[_3_]

Default Early kidney failure - now what?

Turtle's white blood count is stable if still low, and there's no active
infection anymore... but his last kidney values were borderline high,
and he's starting to show symptoms like drinking more. I'm scared for my
grumpy boy, because I know that things only get worse faster with each
UTI and he's really prone to them...

I'm planning to switch him to wet food slowly to ensure that he gets
enough fluids - I just hope it doesn't upset his stomach too much. Are
there any recommendations or things I should keep in mind among the
grocery store available brands? (The nearest specialty store is 4 hours
away, and shipping is prohibitive.)

Beyond that, well, I think I need moral support, purrs, and maybe some
idea of how long he may be able to keep going with a good quality of
life... He's only 11, and a spoiled indoor kitty. I'm a little lost here.

--
minnow ^..^

http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/
Old April 25th 10, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"moonglow minnow" wrote in message
[...]

Here's another option you might consider since you said that shipping is
prohibitive. I use Wellness canned food for my twosome (make sure you
select grains-free varieties, such as wellness turkey, chicken, etc.).
Until recently, it was not available in my area, so I have to order online.
*However,* I order from www.petfooddirect.com. I order 2 or 3 cases at a
time of the 5.5 oz. cans. Call or write and have your email added to their
mailing list. They periodically have good discounts that they will send to
your email address. They frequently offer 15 percent discounts, but I wait
for 20 percent. Best of all, but very infrequent, is that they occasionally
offer 22 percent off. The 20 percent discount is almost exactly the cost of
shipping. Ironically, Wellness is now available in my town at a pet supply
store that is supposed to be a "discount" store. I would like to shop
locally--both for convenience and to support local sellers--but the cost per
can is more at the local store than it is through petfooddirect. I have had
very service from petfooddirect.com for a number of years. And Wellness is
much better quality than what you will find in a grocery store.
Incidentally, they offer a number of quality brands, so you could look at
others. Do be sure to watch for *grains free* if you do.

MaryL

Old April 25th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

"moonglow minnow"
[...]

Ohhhhhh, poor Turtle. Our kitties get Friskies canned food, of which there
many 'tastes' I'd svoid the fishy ones, because they might upset his tummy.
There are poultry flavors as well, in different 'types/cuts Some are just
solid, shredded, flaked, ours like the prime filets, and there are some beef
flavors. You could also go with Iams, Fancy Feast,
and make sure he has water at all times.
Purrs and prayers for you and your sweet boy,
Love
Kyla & purring Mosey

Old April 25th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

[...]

I know she only thought she was a cat, but my tiny poodle lived
close to ten years after she was diagnosed with kidney failure.
Most likely cause by her stealing the cats food before we knew what
a problem that was.

I ended up cooking for her since she really hated the only kidney
diet available at the time.

Of course it is much easier to limit protein for a dog than it is
for most cats.

You know dogs, they will eat anything.

Jo

Old April 25th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 24, 8:48*pm, moonglow minnow wrote:
[...]

http://twitter.com/taheenahanahttp:/...photos/minnow/

Besides food recommendations, about the only thing that comes to mind
is
to do what you can to encourage drinking. If you can swing it, a
Drinkwell
fountain is usually good. Some owners I know leave the sink dripping.
remember us having to buy food from the vet for a CRF cat. I think if
were you I'd give the vet a call and and just ask him which foods
among the
ones available to you would be best. Try not to worry too much. Even
cats
in renal failure are being managed now and they can live good lives
for
a long time. Good luck.

Sherry
Old April 25th 10, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

moonglow minnow wrote:

Beyond that, well, I think I need moral support, purrs, and maybe some
idea of how long he may be able to keep going with a good quality of
life... He's only 11, and a spoiled indoor kitty. I'm a little lost here.

Lots of purrs on the way. Wish I had some good advice to give, but purrs
is all I have.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old April 25th 10, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs are on the way.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 25th 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

[...]

One of mine was disgnosed with acute kidney failure and the fool vet wanted
to euthanise then and there. For a couple of months I syringe fed him Hills
Renal food diluted in water every couple of hours during the day. Francis
*hated* that food, but it seemed to do what it was supposed to. Also, during
that time, the vet (different one at the practice) prescribed beta-blockers,
as this eases the strain on the heart when kidenys are failing.

To cut a long story short, several years later and the cat (Francis) is
still us, hale, hearty and living life to the full. Not bad for a cat that
'should be euthanised as he's only going to last a matter of days'. Now, he
gets normal 'senior' cat food, wet (Felix) and dry (Pro-Plan usually), with
unrestricted access to water. Francis climbs the trees in the garden, guards
his hens lovingly, purrs very loudly, is his Daddy's cat, catches rodents in
the garden, never lets a patch of sun go to waste.

It may be that Francis has been lucky, but his blood counts at the time of
his actue renal failure indicated that he should not be here. Yet he is.

I hope the same goes for Turtle.

Old April 25th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

moonglow minnow wrote:

Are
there any recommendations or things I should keep in mind among the
grocery store available brands? (The nearest specialty store is 4 hours
away, and shipping is prohibitive.)

The best thing I can advise is that you join the Yahoo CRF Support
group.
I haven't needed to be a member of that one yet, but I hear a lot about
CRF via the Pancreatitis and Assisted Feeding groups.

Among the things you'll need to learn -- and that your vet may or may
not be good about conveying to you: Why you don't need to panic. Why a
special kidney diet may not be a good idea at this time. How to choose
a food for low phosphorus, and how to use binders if Turtle won't accept
a low phos food. How to do subcutaneous fluids at home.

It's likely that with good supportive care, Turtle will be with you for
years yet.
--

Wayne M.
Old April 25th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

wafflycat wrote:

snip stuff about renal failure in cats

To cut a long story short, several years later and the cat
(Francis)
is still [with] us, hale, hearty and living life to the full.
Not bad for a
cat that 'should be euthanised as he's only going to last a
matter of
days'. ...

It may be that Francis has been lucky, but his blood counts at
the
time of his actue renal failure indicated that he should not be
here.
Yet he is.
I hope the same goes for Turtle.

As do I, of course.

Good to see you back here, waffly! How's the mighty huntress?
"Mowz! Mowz!". Is she still with us as well?

--
MatSav