Protein

Old August 18th 03, 09:20 PM
Jerold Pearson

Default Protein

Okay, I'm REALLY confused now. I've been reading the articles about
nutrition that have been cited in this newsgroup, and some of them say that
lots of protein (especially meat-based protein) is good for cats.

But the Natura Pet Foods web site declares that one of the good features of
Innova Lite is that it has LOWER protein (and fat) levels. Royal Canin's
reduced calorie food, on the other hand, has MORE protein than its other
formulas.

Which is it? I want a reduced calorie food for my two 7 year old cats (who
are a bit on the heavy side), but should I look for one that has lots of
protein or one that has less protein?

(Or perhaps the real question is: What are the benefits and drawbacks of
different levels of protein? When is more better, and when is less better?)

Thanks.

JP

Old August 19th 03, 01:59 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
(GAUBSTER2) wrote:

But the Natura Pet Foods web site declares that one of the good features of
Innova Lite is that it has LOWER protein (and fat) levels.

Which is it? I want a reduced calorie food for my two 7 year old cats (who
are a bit on the heavy side), but should I look for one that has lots of
protein or one that has less protein?

Look for a food that has less than 3,250 kcal/kg of food fed. Anything more
than that is not likely to get you where you want to go. Foods that are
LIGHT
meet this definition. If a food doesn't say LIGHT, then it isn't a "weight
loss" food.

Well, that's ridiculous. If you want your cat to consume fewer calories,
feed him less food. If you feed him the same amount of less calorically
dense food, that means that good useable nutrients have been replaced
with junk fillers, mostly insoluble fibers that further reduce the
useability of the remaining nutrients. The other reason for the fiber is
to increase satiety but a CARNIVORE is most easily sated by giving him
the PROTEIN his body craves. My "easy keeper" cat gets a restricted
amount of calorically dense food with digestible high-quality protein
and he's just fine with that.

(Or perhaps the real question is: What are the benefits and drawbacks of
different levels of protein? When is more better, and when is less better?)

Foods that are higher in protein tend to be higher in phosphorus which could
be
a problem in cats w/ renal failure (diagnosed or undiagnosed). Discuss w/
your
vet what is the best course for your cats. Your cats may benefit more from a
food such as r/d, w/d, or m/d from Hill's.

Yeah, and cats that are chronically fed a diet high in junk
carbohydrates tend to develop diabetes. The way to reduce waste
phosphorus is to feed appropriate amounts of highly bioavailable protein.

-Alison in OH

Old August 19th 03, 03:35 PM
GAUBSTER2

Look for a food that has less than 3,250 kcal/kg of food fed. Anything
more
than that is not likely to get you where you want to go. Foods that are
LIGHT
meet this definition. If a food doesn't say LIGHT, then it isn't a "weight
loss" food.

Well, that's ridiculous.

It's absolutely NOT "ridiculous". In fact, restricting calories is an
extremely effective way at taking the weight off of cats. Most vets recommend
foods such as those that I have described.

If you want your cat to consume fewer calories,
feed him less food.

....and as a result--less nutrients.

My "easy keeper" cat gets a restricted
amount of calorically dense food with digestible high-quality protein
and he's just fine with that.

like m/d?

Old August 21st 03, 12:53 AM
Steve Crane

Jerold Pearson wrote in message 4.103...
Okay, I'm REALLY confused now. I've been reading the articles about
nutrition that have been cited in this newsgroup, and some of them say that
lots of protein (especially meat-based protein) is good for cats.

But the Natura Pet Foods web site declares that one of the good features of
Innova Lite is that it has LOWER protein (and fat) levels. Royal Canin's
reduced calorie food, on the other hand, has MORE protein than its other
formulas.

Which is it? I want a reduced calorie food for my two 7 year old cats (who
are a bit on the heavy side), but should I look for one that has lots of
protein or one that has less protein?

(Or perhaps the real question is: What are the benefits and drawbacks of
different levels of protein? When is more better, and when is less better?)

Thanks.

JP

JP,
High levels of protein can be a risk. Typically they bring along
higher levels of phosphorus which is a risk factor in cats with
undetected renal failure. Since we presently cannot test a cat and
determine if renal failure is present, until over 70% of the kidney is
destroyed and the disease bis unstoppable, there is a risk in feedidng
excessive levels protein. Renal failure is the number two cause of
death in cats and should never be taken lightly.
There is a risk in feeding excessive levels of anything. There are
two competing schools of thought. The traditional tried and true
method eliminates the risk of undetected renal failure by maintaining
sufficient protein and reducing calories by lowering fat content.
Typically these foods contain higher levels of fiber to increase
satiety (feeling full). Most obesity diets do contain a bit more
protein than normal typical diets, part of this is to insure that lean
body tissue (muscle mass) is not lost while fat tissue is lost. These
diets have been proven for forty years and have an excellent track
record of success when fed properly.
Another school of thought that has recently emerged tends to blame
every disease know to cats on carbohydrates, never mind there is no
data to support those claims, merely hypothesis and supposition. This
school of thought seeks to move cats into a state of metabolic
ketosis. This is not the same as ketoacidosis so don't think of
metabolic ketosis as being "bad". By this process some cats can lose
weight much like some humans lose weight on the Adkins type diets -
pretty much the same philosophy. There are several diets on the market
that work in this manner.
The right choice is one you need to make in consultation with your
veterinarian who can assess any risk factors that your individual cat
may have and make a determination of which diet philosophy will work
best and safest.

Old August 25th 03, 08:04 AM
Phil P.

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message

Look for a food that has less than 3,250 kcal/kg of food fed. Anything

more
than that is not likely to get you where you want to go. Foods that are

LIGHT
meet this definition. If a food doesn't say LIGHT, then it isn't a

"weight
loss" food.

3,250 kcal/kg is the maximun caloric density requirement for "light" or
"lite", *dry* diets *only* (20% moisture). This requirement does not apply
to semimoist or canned diets containing 20% moisture

Diets containing 20% or more but less than 65% moisture may contain no more
than 2650 kcal ME/kg , and no more than 950 kcal ME/kg for diets containing
65% or more moisture;

Here's the AAFCO regulation:

Regulation PF10. Descriptive Terms

(c) Calorie Terms (1) "Light"

B. A cat food product which bears on its label the terms "light", "lite",
"low calorie". or
words of similar designation shall:

i. Contain no more than 3250 kcal ME/kg for products containing less
than 20% moisture,
no more than 2650 kcal ME/kg for prodÂ*ucts containing 20% or more
but less than 65%
moisture, and no more than 950 kcal ME/kg for products containing
65% or more
moisture;

and ii. Include on the label a calorie content statement:

aa. In accordance with the format provided in Regulation PF9; and

bb. Which states no more than 3250 kcal ME/kg for products
conÂ*taining less than 20%
moisture, no more than 2650 kcal ME/kg for products
containing 20% or more but
less than 65% moisture, and no more than 950 kcal ME/kg for
products containing
65% or more moisture;

and iii. Include on the label feeding directions which reflect a reduction
in calorie intake consistent with the intended use.

(2) "Less" or "Reduced Calories"

A. A dog or cat food product which bears on its label a claim of "less
caloÂ*ries", reduced
calories", or words of similar designation, shall include on the
label:

i. The name of the product of comparison and the percentage of
caloÂ*rie reduction
(expressed on an equal weight basis) explicitly stated and
juxtaposed with the largest or
most prominent use of the claim on each panel of the label
where the term appears; and
ii. The comparative statement printed in type of the same color and
style and at least one-
half the type size used in the claim; and
iii. A calorie content statement in accordance with the format
proÂ*vided in Regulation PF9;
iv. Feeding directions which reflect a reduction in calories
compared to feeding directions
for the product of comparison.

B. A comparison between products in different categories of moisture
content (i.e., less than
20%, 20% or more but less than 65%, 65% or more) is misleading.