Strange adoption story

Old August 24th 03, 08:54 PM
m. L. Briggs

Default Strange adoption story

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:59:24 -0500, "Barb 1"
wrote:

To get my Pickles I went to North Shore Animal League where I had gotten my
Moonshines 20 years earlier. Their ad in the paper said, "seven days a
week".

I knew they had a big adopt-a-thon that week-end but I figured that going in
on a Thursday it would be less crowded and even then parking lots were very
filled.

Upon my arrival I was told, "No, you can't have a kitten until the week-end
when we have our big adopt-a-thon."

I said I had come from a very long distance. They told me all the kittens
had just been spayed. I asked to just see the kittens and if I could pick
one out then I would be back. They said "No"!!!

At this point I informed the worker that we had a problem. "I've given
money to this organization for years and now I come here and you tell me I
can't have a kitten?"

The worker wanted to know if she should get the manager and I told her that
she better get someone. The manager came out and asked me what I wanted. I
told her I wanted an 8 week old kitten and she came out with Pickles who was
very lively, not just spayed.

I still don't know what to make out of this strange situation.

North Shore is very thorough in qualifying you to adopt including requesting
references from several people who can be reached right away. That is fine
with me. But to initially just try to turn me away flat, with all the cats
and kittens needing homes, it is beyond my understanding.

Barb

There are lots of people who are incapable of independent thought --
you got one of them. I doubt it had anything to do with the
sanctuary -- just a not too bright person. Glad you got a nice
furbaby. I hope you have many happy years together. MLB

Old August 24th 03, 10:39 PM
Sherry

At this point I informed the worker that we had a problem. "I've given
money to this organization for years and now I come here and you tell me I
can't have a kitten?"

The worker wanted to know if she should get the manager and I told her that
she better get someone. The manager came out and asked me what I wanted. I
told her I wanted an 8 week old kitten and she came out with Pickles who was
very lively, not just spayed.

I still don't know what to make out of this strange situation.

North Shore is very thorough in qualifying you to adopt including requesting
references from several people who can be reached right away. That is fine
with me. But to initially just try to turn me away flat, with all the cats
and kittens needing homes, it is beyond my understanding.

Barb

Barb, it sounds like you got a worker/volunteer who was just following a policy
that had been laid down and maybe didn't have the authority to make an
exception for you, since you were out of town. I'm sure it was no big deal for
the local people to return for the adopt-a-thon like it would be for you. Don't
hold it against North Shore. Sometimes I am horrified at what our volunteers
tell people. Just recently one made a very disparaging remark to a person about
a local vet. We had to practically grovel to the guy to apologize, since the
word got back to him.

Sherry

Old August 24th 03, 10:42 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Sounds like the worker you intially spoke w/ was a tad mixed up, on the
strange side, whatever...

I wonder what sort of conversation followed your departure, between that
worker & her manager? ;-P

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old August 25th 03, 04:27 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Barb 1" wrote in message
I knew they had a big adopt-a-thon that week-end but I figured that going

in
on a Thursday it would be less crowded and even then parking lots were

very
filled.

Upon my arrival I was told, "No, you can't have a kitten until the

week-end
when we have our big adopt-a-thon."

It sounds like the worker wanted to save all the kittens for the big
weekend, when they were expecting more people. That way when the big crowds
come, there's more to choose from. Pretty stupid, though.

My cat Tiger (13 years) is from North Shore but I got her secondhand. The
two cats at work are also from North Shore. I had to lie and pretend I was
taking them home. Nobody wanted to adopt cats out to a bookstore. Stinky
was the *only* kitten there when I went. Other people were looking at her,
and I'm so happy I got to take her. I also took Harriet, who was 1 1/2
years old. They are very well taken care of, but I understand why shelters
are reluctant to give animals to businesses.

Liz