Abandoned Kitten - Day 2: Weeble Poops!!!

Old August 25th 03, 09:17 PM
Cathy Friedmann

Default Abandoned Kitten - Day 2: Weeble Poops!!!

Actually, technically, animals are "it" in the English language. Otoh,
that's always bugged me & I personally use the gender appropriate pronoun -
if known.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
newsGr2b.8003$QT5.2164@fed1read02...
A cat is not a thing or an it.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
As if the thing even KNOWS it's name, it's only a few days old (I

believe
him to have been born sometime this past Wednesday or Thursday). And

even
if he did know that that's his name, it will never know the meaning of

the
word. Besides, I have a cat named Tennessee Tuxedo - he answers to
Tennessee, or anything that sounds like it: Canofpeas for instance, and

one
time I even called him Kentucky and he answered.

--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
http://www.geocities.com/the_magic_mood_jeep/

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I bet the cat hates its name. Can you imagine going through life with

name
like Weeble?

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Never thought I'd be excited over catpoop, but today, I am! Weeble

had
his
first poop! He fought me every second of cleaning him, and proved

exactly
how powerful his lungs are!

Old August 25th 03, 09:46 PM
Ivor Jones

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message
Actually, technically, animals are "it" in the English language. Otoh,
that's always bugged me & I personally use the gender appropriate

pronoun -
if known.

So we are "it" as well, after all we are animals also. Forgive my
language, but I don't care about grammar, that's just bull**** - if a
creature is living and is male or female it is stupid not to refer to them
appropriately.

Ivor

Old August 25th 03, 09:52 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message
Actually, technically, animals are "it" in the English language. Otoh,
that's always bugged me & I personally use the gender appropriate

pronoun -
if known.

So we are "it" as well, after all we are animals also. Forgive my
language, but I don't care about grammar, that's just bull**** - if a
creature is living and is male or female it is stupid not to refer to them
appropriately.

Ivor

Hey, *I* didn't make up the usage & grammar rules!

\

Old August 26th 03, 12:48 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

So we are "it" as well, after all we are animals also. Forgive my
language, but I don't care about grammar, that's just bull**** - if a
creature is living and is male or female it is stupid not to refer to them
appropriately.

Ivor

But then what pronoun do you use for flies? Snakes? Fish? Would you use
he or she regardless of its sex, or would you take a look at its anatomy
before refering to it at all? Or would you just keep using the appropriate
noun ("That fly sure is bugging me. I'm going to get a fly-swatter and kill
that fly. Oops...the cat got to the fly and ate the fly so I couldn't kill
the fly"). Flies are most definitely male or female, they are living, so
why not refer to them "appropriately"? I'm being facetious but really, do
English speakers, on a daily basis, use 'he/she' for every living creature?
Is there never an occasion when you would use 'it'?

Personally, I use 'she' when needing a pronoun to refer to my cat. However,
if someone would choose to call her 'it', I would have no objections (though
I would object to "he"), as Cat Protector did. To insist that someone use
'he/she' is as stupid as insisting on using 'it' (which I did not, I was
merely offering that 'it' was prescriptively correct and therefore
acceptable).

rona