Cat attacks new baby - need help!

Old October 27th 03, 10:29 PM
Lashton

Default Cat attacks new baby - need help!

Our rescue group recently had a call from a distraught new mom. Her
cat of 10 years, Beavis, has taken serious exception to their new baby
when it cries and has literally attacked her several times, inflicting
some nasty bites. She thinks Beavis is trying to attack the baby, but
she's always put herself between the cat and the baby.

After spending a few minutes talking, I realized that this family had
done everything you're supposed to do to prepare a cat for a baby, and
that they really want to keep Beavis. But I haven't a clue what to
recommend, and the owner/mom is genuinely frightened. Plus, the cat
is 10 years old, which makes him a difficult rehoming prospect.

Any recommendations what the owners can do to chill out Beavis - or
does anyone know of a "cat shrink" or animal behaviorist in the
Dallas/Ft Worth, TX area?

TIA,

hairball
Old October 28th 03, 02:23 AM
Mary

Any recommendations what the owners can do to chill out Beavis - or
does anyone know of a "cat shrink" or animal behaviorist in the
Dallas/Ft Worth, TX area?

I'd give him extra love, catnip if he likes it, play with him a lot to use up
his energy, extra treats. I'm sure they've tried that. There's always a tiny
bit of kitty valium just for a little while until he gets used to the baby.
Maybe he thinks the baby crying is the baby's way of growling/meowing at him so
he's defensive? or maybe he thinks the baby is acting defensive to mom with his
crying?

Old October 28th 03, 05:31 PM
Barb 1

When I first brought my new baby home my Siamese who was about 9 years old
at the time let out a hiss when I walked in holding the baby in a blanket.
She had attacked me several times when I had come home with the scent of
another cat on me. As soon as she saw it was a baby she changed her tune.
She became protective of the baby and the first time I went out and left the
baby with a sitter (who had Siamese of her own) she hissed at the sitter
when the sitter went into the baby's room.

Hopefully this cat will quickly adjust to the new family member.

Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.