Keeping cat out of room.

Old October 5th 03, 06:27 AM
JANET

Default Keeping cat out of room.

I have a beautiful 6 month old Munchkin kitten, but I can't keep her ou
of the kitchen. She really is a tiny little thing and I am afraid of
stepping on her.
I have tried just saying "NO", using a squirt gun and shaking a can with
coins,but nothing is working . Does anyone have any suggestions?
JH

Old October 5th 03, 06:51 AM
Sherry

I have a beautiful 6 month old Munchkin kitten, but I can't keep her ou
of the kitchen. She really is a tiny little thing and I am afraid of
stepping on her.
I have tried just saying "NO", using a squirt gun and shaking a can with
coins,but nothing is working . Does anyone have any suggestions?
JH

She is still a baby, and wants to be with you. If it were me, I'd just resolve
to be more careful and watch out for her. Please don't squirt her just for
coming in the room with her; she probably just thinks you're being mean to her.
If you absolutely can't keep from stepping on her, get a baby gate to restrict
her access to the kitchen until she's older.

Sherry

Old October 5th 03, 04:14 PM
Philip ®

In ,
JANET being of bellicose mind posted:
I have a beautiful 6 month old Munchkin kitten, but I can't keep
her ou of the kitchen. She really is a tiny little thing and I am
afraid of stepping on her.
I have tried just saying "NO", using a squirt gun and shaking a
can with coins,but nothing is working . Does anyone have any
suggestions?
JH

Step on the cat a few times ... but hopefully you don't put your full
weight on her paw. Pain is a powerful teacher.

--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Old October 5th 03, 05:29 PM
Isotope

Two words... Scat Mat... Your cat/kitten isn't strong enough or big enough
to jump on the counters and it's early enough in it's life that you can
create an imprint of what is right and wrong. I have done this with my cats
and dogs and, I have had great success! It's not cheap, but in the end, it's
the best enforcer of boundaries while you are not around. I'll put the link
below so if you are interested you can take a look at it. You can also find
used Scat Mats on Ebay.

http://futurepet.com/cgi-bin/fullpre...F=SKM341&OV=G1

Old October 5th 03, 05:31 PM
MaryL

"JANET" wrote in message
I have a beautiful 6 month old Munchkin kitten, but I can't keep her ou
of the kitchen. She really is a tiny little thing and I am afraid of
stepping on her.
I have tried just saying "NO", using a squirt gun and shaking a can with
coins,but nothing is working . Does anyone have any suggestions?
JH

Could you put her in another room with the door closed while you are working
in the kitchen, then let her out again as soon as it's "safe"? Kittens can
get underfoot quickly, especially when your attention is directed toward
carrying bowls and things.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 5th 03, 07:06 PM
---MIKE---

A baby gate won't work. Any 6 month old kitten would be able to climb
over it. I tried this with Tiger (to keep him separated from Amber) and
he just climbed over it. I had to make a good sized shelf over the top
of the gate to keep him in his room.

-MIKE