Double standard

Old December 26th 04, 11:06 PM

Default Double standard

Why is it that someone can post a very long rant against "America-bashing",
and get all kinds of supportive, you-go-girl, "me-too" posts in response,
and not one single person says "Hey, this isn't a political newsgroup, this
is a NICE forum, can't you keep the political rants off this ng?" (I am
not implying that, myself, by the way.)

But if someone has a different point of view - not necessarily a "bashing"
point of view, just a critical one, then suddenly it's not "nice" to be
talking about politics here.

I'm starting to realize that the people on this ng don't really feel that
political posts are inappropriate or unwelcome here. It's just that certain
points of view are not welcome here. A double standard, that's all it is.

Joyce
Old December 26th 04, 11:19 PM
John Doe

Off-topic troll.

wrote:

Subject: Double standard
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Old December 26th 04, 11:30 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
Why is it that someone can post a very long rant against

"America-bashing",
and get all kinds of supportive, you-go-girl, "me-too" posts in response,
and not one single person says "Hey, this isn't a political newsgroup,

this
is a NICE forum, can't you keep the political rants off this ng?" (I am
not implying that, myself, by the way.)

But if someone has a different point of view - not necessarily a "bashing"
point of view, just a critical one, then suddenly it's not "nice" to be
talking about politics here.

I'm starting to realize that the people on this ng don't really feel that
political posts are inappropriate or unwelcome here. It's just that

certain
points of view are not welcome here. A double standard, that's all it is.

Joyce

I apologize, Joyce. I really shouldn't have posted an off-topic political
rant. But it's not as though I had absolutely no reason for doing so.

In my defense, I was reacting to another post that was extremely derogative
and on top of that months and months of posts that have been derogative.
The newsgroup has been quite open to off-topic rants in the past, so I
didn't feel entirely unwelcome in protesting a growing trend, not just in RL
but here in rpca as well.

If this group did keep political rants off then there would have been no
reason for my particular rant. The problem is that America bashing has
become so profound and so pervasive that people don't even react to it as a
political rant all its own - they just assume it's OK to denigrate an entire
nation of people and get no adverse reaction from doing so. Therefore, I
don't entirely understand the "double standard "remark, since I've been
seeing quite a few posts that are politically slanted in a quite different
way than what I expressed in my "rant" - which, again, was the entire reason
for my "rant".

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 27th 04, 12:39 AM
Sheenah

wrote in message
[...]

This conversation has made me think about my inability to get folk to
always do what I would like them to do and I think it right to share
my thoughts.

As a result of one of the lessons I've learnt while receiving help to
overcome alcohol dependency, I have come to better understand the
limit of my power over people. In the context of postings to NGs,
when I accept my powerlessness/inability to stop anyone from posting
anything that they want to say and exercise my power of choice over
what to read, then I am doing the best I can to maintain my serenity
and to better enjoy the time I spend on them.

Sheenah

Old December 27th 04, 02:01 AM
Tish Silberbauer

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:39:10 -0000, "Sheenah"
wrote:

This conversation has made me think about my inability to get folk to
always do what I would like them to do and I think it right to share
my thoughts.

As a result of one of the lessons I've learnt while receiving help to
overcome alcohol dependency, I have come to better understand the
limit of my power over people. In the context of postings to NGs,
when I accept my powerlessness/inability to stop anyone from posting
anything that they want to say and exercise my power of choice over
what to read, then I am doing the best I can to maintain my serenity
and to better enjoy the time I spend on them.

Sheenah

Well said Sheenah.
Sometimes it is tempting to take NG messages personally, but after a
time I remember that they are not directed at me or my
surroundings/country/occupation and are simply an expression of
someone else's state of mind / opinions / culture / whatever and
should be approached as an interesting aspect of another person's
personality rather than a putative attack on myself. You just
expressed all of that much more eloquently.

OB cats: I bought the kits a catnip plant for Christmas - one growing
in a pot. I brought it into the house to show them, with some
trepidation (what if they were violent "drunks"?), but all three
sniffed it and ignored it. [hrumpf!] I'll let the plant grow a bit
and will then harvest some and dry it. Maybe they'll be more
interested in the dried leaves. OTOH, they thought the paper that was
cast off after unwrapping our hoomin presents was the *Best Thing
Ever*! tee hee - we haven't tidied up because the snippets are having
such fun in the debris! (Ted is, as usual, sleeping)

Tish
Old December 27th 04, 02:18 AM
Sheenah

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
I bought the kits a catnip plant for Christmas - one growing
in a pot. I brought it into the house to show them, with some
trepidation (what if they were violent "drunks"?), but all three
sniffed it and ignored it. [hrumpf!]

Tish,

I dare you to leave it with them overnight :^)

OTOH, they thought the paper that was
cast off after unwrapping our hoomin presents was the *Best Thing
Ever*! tee hee - we haven't tidied up because the snippets are

having
such fun in the debris! (Ted is, as usual, sleeping)

Could they have more ? Dee Dee's bored with ours - but not with the
empty boxes :^

Sheenah

Old December 27th 04, 02:26 AM
Tish Silberbauer

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:18:40 -0000, "Sheenah"
wrote:

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
.. .
I bought the kits a catnip plant for Christmas - one growing
in a pot. I brought it into the house to show them, with some
trepidation (what if they were violent "drunks"?), but all three
sniffed it and ignored it. [hrumpf!]

Tish,

I dare you to leave it with them overnight :^)

The poor wee plant is only a few inches tall, so I daren't leave it
where they can get at it until it's managed to grow a bit :^)

OTOH, they thought the paper that was
cast off after unwrapping our hoomin presents was the *Best Thing
Ever*! tee hee - we haven't tidied up because the snippets are

having
such fun in the debris! (Ted is, as usual, sleeping)

Could they have more ? Dee Dee's bored with ours - but not with the
empty boxes :^

Sheenah

We received several boxes through the post (one advantage of having a
geographically dispersed family), so the kits had both paper and boxes
to play with and, joy of joys, paper *in* boxes!! I suppose we'll
have to tidy up soon as we're having a few friends over here on
Thursday, but in the mean time we sit and giggle at Spock playing
"king of the castle" from inside a box with Persephone storming the
battlements from the outside, then a quick switch and reversed roles.
Spock also loves tunnelling and seems to derive endless joy from
burrowing into a bag full of paper, so he can "bury" himself in it and
ambush Persphone as she wanders by.

In most of their games, Spock is the Evil Genius and Persphone is the
rube, although she's always willing to Give It A Go, even if she
doesn't quite understand the rules.

Tish

Old December 27th 04, 05:16 AM
Yowie

wrote in message
Why is it that someone can post a very long rant against

"America-bashing",
and get all kinds of supportive, you-go-girl, "me-too" posts in response,
and not one single person says "Hey, this isn't a political newsgroup,

this
is a NICE forum, can't you keep the political rants off this ng?" (I am
not implying that, myself, by the way.)

But if someone has a different point of view - not necessarily a "bashing"
point of view, just a critical one, then suddenly it's not "nice" to be
talking about politics here.

I'm starting to realize that the people on this ng don't really feel that
political posts are inappropriate or unwelcome here. It's just that

certain
points of view are not welcome here. A double standard, that's all it is.

The way I see it, and this is just my opinion on this (I could well be very
wrong) is that political posts and other posts that put people down, attack
people, insult people, upset people and are in other ways negative are not
popular here. Political posts that are supportive, uplifting, and generally
positive in tone are, if not welcome, then tolerated.

The original post that started this discussion contained a passage that was
very negative towards a set of people who are well represented in this
group. The group responded in a positive manne, pointing out the good things
that that set of people also have. The rest of the post that started it -
which was discussing the merits of a particular film - did not attract the
flammage, and in fact all agreed that the trailers of the film
misrepresented the content of the film. It was the rest of the post that
flung insults towards a large proportion of this group that caused the
controversy.

Simply put, this is a group that holds supporting each other in very high
regard. I think most of the group consider each other part of the family, we
more than just posters to Usenet, we are a community
;p. We do not like anything to interfere with that intimacy. Posting insults
at any group of people to which any of us might belong is dangerous, and not
well tolerated. After all, most people don't like things that cause our
friends hurt or upset. Thus it is I will refrain from insulting, for
example, Democrat voters, for as much as I may disagree with the Democrat
party, I have no quarrel with any of my Democrat voting friends, and to
blanket insult Democrats would be to insult them too. We don't have to agree
on everythign to be friends, but we do have to have respect for each other
an each other's opinions. Friends don't insult each other.

Yowie

---

Old December 27th 04, 06:24 AM
Sherry

Off-topic troll.

Joyce is a long-time friend and poster on this group. She is not a troll.

Sherry