China?

Old October 5th 04, 01:27 AM
Yowie

Default China?

There's a possibility that I could get a long-term posting in China with the
company I work for. The oppurtunity would be fantastic, Joel would love it
and I think it would be great for Cary to be immersed in another culture and
language whilst he can still learn language the 'natural' way. I'd love to
learn Cantonese, and see an entirely different country, all whilst getting
paid for the priveledge, not to mention the boost it would give my career.

If the oppurtunity did eventuate, we'd be all for it except for two
problems:

Shmogg & Fluff

What would we do about them? If we could manage to bring them with us, its
very likely that they couldn't come back to Australia again. The travel
would probably traumatise them, and there is no gurantee we'd get a place
that would be OK for pets (Shmogg would be OK in an apartment, but Fluff
needs a yard). As it would be a long term assignment (at least 6 months,
possibly up to 5 years), boarding them doesn't seem sensible and rather
cruel to be honest.

Anybody know anything China and its attitude and policies towards pets? Any
advice to anyone who has done this relocation thing with pets in
tow?(Britta?)

Yowie

Old October 5th 04, 04:03 AM
Bev

Yowie wrote:

[...]

Sounds exciting Yowie and I sympathise with your problem. I get
worried about the monsters even if we are away a month!
Do you have any animal loving relatives that you could leave them
with? It's probably the answer.

I have very mixed feelings about China. While I realise that things
have changed a lot I am still bothered about human rights and the way
some of them treat their animals i.e. bile from bears, eating dogs, cats
etc. We have travelled to several Asian countries (not China) and I was
always glad to get home. There were always so many people and here at
home it seemed quite empty - the way I like it
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

Old October 5th 04, 04:16 AM
Marina

Yowie wrote:

Anybody know anything China and its attitude and policies towards pets? Any
advice to anyone who has done this relocation thing with pets in
tow?(Britta?)

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but we'll be purring for some solution.
That is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Would be really hard to leave
the furries behind, though.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 5th 04, 04:34 AM
Yowie

"Bev" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

[...]

Odd as it may seem, I'm not freaked out about people eating cats and/or
dogs. I eat sheep, cows, pigs, kangaroos, chickens, fish, prawns and
lobsters, and these creatures are no more inherently uneatable than cats or
dogs. People keep such critters as pets and Hindus consider cows sacred, but
I still eat them regardless. I don't eat duck, rabbit or deer for personal
reasons (can't bear the thought of eating them), and if I come across a dish
with cat or dog, I won't eat them for the same reasons I don't eat duck,
rabbit or deer. My only hope is that the animals I *do* eat are killed
humanely and don't suffer any more than absolutley necessary, and that they
weren't someone's beloved pet before they turned into my dinner. I think it
would be horribly hypocritical ofme to condemn the eating of meat from one
type of animal when I happily eat the meat from another.

The bile from bears is disgusting, yes (so is force feeding geese to get
Pate de foie gras), and the human right record isn't that grand (but is
Australia's any better, I wonder, thinking of those poor children in
detention centres), but I know I certainly wouldn't be contributing to those
problems, indeed, if anything, I'd be working against them if I ended up
there.

it wouldn't be a permanant move, but could be several years, hence my worry
about the furkids.

Yowie

Old October 5th 04, 08:10 AM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
[...]

It's the chance of a lifetime but you sure cannot board your beloved cats
for that length of time. I am sorry I don't know about quarantine or
restrictions on pets traveling from Australia to China and back again. Wish
I could help in that regard. Any family who could take them in while you're
gone if you can't take them with you?

Jill