Warning for pet owners that have ozone type air cleaners

Old October 12th 04, 08:27 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
They are hazarous to your and your pet's health:

http://www.netsyscentral.com/keith/livingair1.htm

From the research I've done, the best air cleaner for the

home is your
standard HEPA cleaner with a replaceable filter.

Megan

Thanks for the alert. I've been thinking of
adding a whole-house filter, and I'm glad to
know to avoid one that generates ozone.

Gail

Old October 13th 04, 01:59 AM
Paul O.

wrote in message
They are hazarous to your and your pet's health:

http://www.netsyscentral.com/keith/livingair1.htm

From the research I've done, the best air cleaner for the

home is your
standard HEPA cleaner with a replaceable filter.

Megan

Thanks for the alert. I've been thinking of
adding a whole-house filter, and I'm glad to
know to avoid one that generates ozone.

Gail

The wife and I went thru this when she had gotten a couple birds whose
respitory systems are suppposed to be 20 times more sensitive than ours. We
have a filter type type and she wanted one of the ozone types. I researched
on one of the bird groups and there were as many that said it was ok as
there were that said they were not ok. So we decided not to take the
chance. Well she no longer has the birds so we got a Living Air air pufier
which we've had now for quite a while, about a year I guess. So far there
are no problems for us or the cat. I know of some that have them because
they have birds. I guess it's kinda like which is the best food, or food
type.

--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

Old October 13th 04, 02:59 AM

Paul wrote:
we got a Living Air air pufier which we've
had now for quite a while, about a year I
guess. So far there are no problems for us
or the cat.

That you know of. I think you should go to the links I posted and
especially read the ones from the EPA, and the State of California,
which states:

"Human population studies of long-term exposures to low-level ozone
indicate that it may lead to permanent reduction in lung capacity;
animal studies have shown chronic high-level exposures can cause lasting
structural damage in the lungs."

AFAIC the potential/known hazards make this type of air cleaner (which
is a misnomer as it doesn't clean the air) an unacceptable risk. My
neighbor had one of these devices, but after reading the articles it now
resides in the trash.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke