(OT) Identity Theft

Old February 18th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default (OT) Identity Theft

"Bobble" wrote in message
Jill

What a pain! I never use a debit card any more, only my credit card. I
pay in full by the due date to avoid interest, and get cash back once a
year (over $100 depending on total spent) just for using it. That way,
nobody can access my bank account.

Why do you think your credit card is safer than a debit card? It isn't.

Ah, but credit cards (those with the Visa, MasterCard, AmEx or Discover
logo) have a "guarrantee" that if your card is "lost or stolen" and it's
reported within 24-48 hours, you are not responsible for the charges
made on it...Some of them say you are responsible for $50 of those
charges, but that's just them, C Y (their) A's....

A debit card is usually a prepaid card or ATM card attached to your
checking/savings account, and any money that is lost is lost (and a
larger hassle to get back) - and it was YOUR money, not Visa's!

I have an ATM/Debit card that has the Visa logo on it - it's known as
the Visa Check Card. I can use it at the ATM for cash, at a store as a
debit OR a credit card, and money comes out of my checking account. If
used as a credit card (you have to sign the slip), it goes through Visa
first, they pay the retailer and then the money goes automatically from
our checking account to Visa. When used as a debit (with PIN) the money
goes directly from our checking to the retailer.

Either way, the retailer gets charged a percentage of the sale - with
credit cards, it's a larger amount than with a debit card. I have
started writing checks at locally owned (not chain) stores as they have
less of a profit margin to take that percentage out of (most banks will
process checks for businesses at no additional cost), and the ones here
really appreciate me paying by cash/check because it saves them that
debit/credit card fee.

A locally tavern recently had a major problem as someone scammed their
credit card merchant account #, and did MILLIONS of dollars of
"charge-backs" to their own (offshore) account. Charge-backs are
basically, if someone bought something on a credit card, but then
returned it, the store would issue the refund back to the original
credit card billed...

Fortunately, this tavern noticed it immediately, and they are getting
all their money back, have stopped taking debit/credit cards and now
operate as a "cash/check only" business... and yes, they had the
millions in their account, because Bloomington is a college town and
this tavern in 1.5 city blocks from campus, and has been in business and
the same location for over 50 years!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old March 6th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

I might be lucky but I have never lost money to fraud by using my debit
card. I use it all the time at the supermarket to buy food and have done so
for years.

Old March 7th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

No doubt that's true. However, if your debit card is lost or stolen, anyone
who gets hold of it could use it to empty your bank account, and that would
be just your tough luck.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_4_]

"Joy" wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

Half of europe uses debit card, and when you lose the card,
they still dont have the pincode.
You just phone the bank, and block the card.
I never understood the fascination USA people have
for creditcards.
Old March 7th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Half of europe uses debit card, and when you lose the card,
they still dont have the pincode.
You just phone the bank, and block the card.
I never understood the fascination USA people have
for creditcards.

That one's easy. With a debit card, you must have the money in order
to spend it. With a credit card, you borrow it - that's why it's called
credit - and later pay it back. Or not.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old March 7th 12, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sjouke Burry" s@b wrote in message
.10...
"Joy" wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Bobble" wrote in message
[...]

Rewards programs. Many credit cards either give you cash back or frequent
flyer miles. Debit cards don't do that.

Of course, some people like being able to run up a big debt. I don't. I
use my credit card for almost everything, but I pay the bill in full each
month. That way I rack up the frequent flyer miles, and I don't have to
carry a lot of cash.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Half of europe uses debit card, and when you lose the card,
they still dont have the pincode.
You just phone the bank, and block the card.
I never understood the fascination USA people have
for creditcards.

People want to buy stuff *now*, not wait until they've saved up for
it. It's a mentality that a lot of advertisers exploit. This hooks a
lot of people into buying things when they don't have the money for
it, and they end up going into debt. Banks and credit card companies
love this, of course - they make a bundle off interest. In fact, people
such as Joy, who don't charge more than they can afford to pay off
every month aren't well-liked by credit card companies - I've heard
stories about people who use their cards that way getting canceled!

I buy a lot of my clothes through mail-order catalogs. Many offer
"buy now, pay later" programs, where you don't have to start paying
for the merchandise until months later. It just encourages people
to spend money they don't have, which they rationalize doing with a
vague plan to have enough money when it comes time to pay up.

--
Joyce

I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey
Old March 7th 12, 08:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

"Sjouke Burry" s@b wrote in message
.10...
"Joy" wrote in
:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

snip
Half of europe uses debit card, and when you lose the card,
they still dont have the pincode.
You just phone the bank, and block the card.
I never understood the fascination USA people have
for creditcards.

Rewards programs. Many credit cards either give you cash back or frequent
flyer miles. Debit cards don't do that.

Of course, some people like being able to run up a big debt. I don't. I
use my credit card for almost everything, but I pay the bill in full each
month. That way I rack up the frequent flyer miles, and I don't have to
carry a lot of cash.

Joy

I use my credit cards the same way. In addition, credit cards have some
additional protections. For example, you can dispute a charge and have it
removed from credit cards if an item fails to reach you or you find certain
other problems. With a debit card, the money is removed directly from your
bank account.

MaryL

Old March 7th 12, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 07/03/2012 4:51 AM, MaryL wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

[...]

I belong to a rewards program, but I don't spend enough outside things
that count anyway, like groceries at a particular store I often use, for
the amount of rewards I get from my credit card to be worth anything.

I'm very cautious with my credit card - a bank employee tried to
persuade me to change to one he was offering and save on interest, and I
said truthfully 'I don't pay interest'. He lost interest in me as a
customer! I use it fairly infrequently, almost always for small online
purchases, and pay it off right away. I get almost nothing in the way of
rewards but I also have no interest payments. Eventually, no doubt, the
issuer will want me to pay an annual fee, and that will be time to look
for another card.

--
Cheryl
Old March 7th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Cheryl wrote:

I belong to a rewards program, but I don't spend enough outside things
that count anyway, like groceries at a particular store I often use, for
the amount of rewards I get from my credit card to be worth anything.

I'm very cautious with my credit card - a bank employee tried to persuade
me to change to one he was offering and save on interest, and I said
truthfully 'I don't pay interest'. He lost interest in me as a customer!
I use it fairly infrequently, almost always for small online purchases,
and pay it off right away. I get almost nothing in the way of rewards but
I also have no interest payments. Eventually, no doubt, the issuer will
want me to pay an annual fee, and that will be time to look for another card.

My credit card gives money to, Cats Protection, a UK charity, every time I
use it. Like others I pay the full balance each month so it doesn't cost me
a penny.

--
Adrian