Rescued cat, angry neighbour

Old August 23rd 04, 01:56 AM
Sherry

Where I live you have to produce a current rabies certificate
before they will release the animal. I don't know what happens
if the rabies vaccine isn't current.
--
8^)~~~ Sue

It probably varies with each animal control, but here the owner pays a fine for
no current rabies, then it's reimbursed once they go get the vaccination and
bring back proof.

Sherry
Old August 23rd 04, 01:56 AM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
"Kelly" wrote:

- "Sherry " wrote in message
- ...
- Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this situation?? I am an
- animal lover... I work at a vet clinic and have volunteer at numerous
- shelters and have saved many homeless cats. It's very frustrating to
- think
- you are doing something good and then getting in shi*t for it.
-
- Thanks.
-
- That's tough. It makes you think the cat might end up better off with a
- new
- owner, if the neighbor lets it out declawed. Does it have a pretty good
- chance
- to get adopted, you think?
- You did the right thing. If they care enough about the cat, they'll cough
- up
- the fee to reclaim it. If she doesn't, she doesn't deserve to have the
- cat.
- Call her bluff. Since the cat was on your property, I don't think there's
- much
- she can do.
-
- Well I think she is just threatening to try and scare me into paying the fee
- and doing all the work for her of picking up the cat. My fiancee was in
- training for police and says there's nothing they can do legally.
-
- I would like to see the cat in a new indoor home, as he is completely
- adoptable (and young, 10 mths). But I know that they will end up getting
- the cat back and he will once again be in my yard. sigh Poor fella.

Well, the next time he "disappears" just deny that you know anything
about it. (Make sure you take it to a different shelter!)
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998

Old August 23rd 04, 10:12 PM
Sunflower

"Kelly" wrote in message
. ..

"Cathy Friedmann" wrote in message

I don't have any advice, but... if she is so attached to this cat, then

why
the hell is she demanding that you somehow get the cat back, instead of
marching over to the shelter _herself_, pronto, & explaining the

situation
to the staff? And not wanting to compromise & pay anything? I don't

know
what her problem is, but this just doesn't add up, IMO.

Cathy

Exactly what I'm thinking. Why not just pay half and be done with it,
instead of blowing off about calling the police and all this crap. In

which
case the police will do nothing anyway because I didn't steal the cat in

any
stretch of the imagination. He's not in my possession. He was assumed a
stray and taken to a shelter. Period. End of story. But for some weird
reason she keeps insisting that I must have known it was their cat, since

he
was in such "good condition". Give me a break. I've seen hundreds of

cats
dumped by their owners that look in great condition because they were only
recently abandoned.

I've decided I'm going to call the shelter on Monday, see if they will

waive
the claim fee (being a previous volunteer I know one of the adoption

clerks
rather well).... but if not, give the owner one more chance to accept me
paying half. If not, there's nothing else I'm doing for her. She can

call
her lawyer or the police or whatever she wants to do. Although I would

much
rather it didn't come down to that.

Well, if it were our shelter, she wouldn't get the cat back even if she came
in to claim it. She let a defenseless declawed cat outdoors. End of story.
She'd be lucky we didn't charge her with animal neglect, even if we couldn't
make it stick.

Old August 24th 04, 03:45 AM
Kelly

Well I was surprised when I called the shelter this morning to be told by
the adoption clerk that under the circumstances, it doesn't matter who pays
the fee or gets the cat. Either me or the owners. This really shocked me
and I was kind of annoyed that she wasn't forcing the owners to make the
effort and the pay up... considering the cat was defenceless and outdoors 20
hours of the day. Regardless, I told her I wasn't picking up the cat, nor
was I paying the fee. I had previously offered to pay half, but have
withdraweled my offer due to the wife's threatening and rude phone call.

I was expecting all day for the owners of the cat to call me up asking me
where the cat was (Recall the wife's threat to me was that I had better have
the cat back to them Monday morning). Monday afternoon rolled around and I
figured they're probably at work ( no cars in drive). After I got home from
my afternoon shift this evening there were no messages on the phone and no
phone calls afterwards. I'm a little perplexed. One of three things are
probably going on:

1) They decided it's nice not to having him around eating their catfood so
they decided just to give him up. I was told my their next door neighbour
that he was been causing a lot of disruption fighting with their outdoor cat
and actually injuring him and sending him to the vet. To which the "owner"
of the cat said they were probably going to find a new home for him anyway
(so why are they causing all this trouble???)

2) They are getting legal advice and might try and sue for the claiming
fee. Because I know the police won't pay attention to them, so they will
have to settle for small claims court if they want any money out of me.

3) They picked the cat up and paid the claiming fee. Although I haven't
seen him around today at all.

Anyway, I'll update if anything significant happens.

Thanks again.

Old August 24th 04, 08:31 PM
Cat Protector

I don't live in Canada but dumping a cat in some places is illegal so a
court of law would most like;y side with you. As for this adoption clerk,
I'd talk to someone higher at the shelter to explain their rules. As for not
hearing from this cat's former humans, they might be embarrassed at this
point. It sounds like she is a real bully so I would just stand up to her if
she calls. BTW, if she does it might be illegal to harrass you. I'd get a
restraining order and have it enforced. It doesn't sound like this woman has
grounds to sue her since she did cause this problem.

. ..

Old August 24th 04, 09:06 PM
Barb

What a bummer. I'm glad this is a no-kill shelter. I am not liking these
neighbors of yours at all.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,